Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new to this site. Found it while I was researching some things.

In the beginning of September I bought a Golden Retriever puppy that was 8 weeks old, from a local breeder. When we first got him, everything was all good. He was fun to play with and a good dog. Now, he's developed a mean side and is very aggressive. I love the dog a lot, but I'm starting to get irritated and very sad about this. In the beginning of August, I lost my Golden Retriever we'd had for nine years. He was the best dog and basically like eeoyre.

Now, I'm dealing with this puppy that is basically like the devil. The aggressiveness is focused more towards one person; me. He does have an aggressive side that he shows to everyone... but, he gets really vicious towards me (growling, showing teeth, mean look comes over his face). But he doesn't hunch the hair on his back or anything. There are many battle wounds all over me and it really makes me embarassed when he shows his normal aggressive side towards others. When he really gets aggressive towards me is when I tell him "no" and don't allow him to do something. Sometimes I could be just sitting on the couch, watching tv or on my laptop and he'll come up and start biting my leg/arm. So, I'll push him away and tell him "no" and give him another toy. He throws the toy, ignores what I said and attacks me. It's heartbreaking to see this.

Unfortunately, do to a muscle condition I have, I cannot exercise him as much as he should be. And, we're inbetween three houses right now, so I'm sure that's part of why he acts like this. But, I can't take it anymore!

Help!!! Does anyone have any advice?

Attached is a picture of Gavan Riley-- the terror.

Ashley `

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
When did he start showing aggression? How old is he now? I won't be able to help you out like other 'professionals' on here, but I'm curious to know if it was sudden or gradual?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Please don't take this as a criticism or as anything other than a suggestion for something that you should think about...

A young golden retriever needs a LOT of exercise to be happy and well behaved. If you're not going to be able to exercise the dog because of your medical condition, you may want to consider giving the dog back to the breeder. Puppies are hard work. Even well exercised ones take a lot of time and patience to train. They all go through biting, jumping testing stages. It requires a lot of training and a lot of exercise to keep a golden retriever (and his owner!!) happy and calm.

Again, please don't take this as criticism, it really isn't intended as such.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had two golden retrievers before this one. I was okay with them. The only thing my medicial condition stops is me from running (which he needs). I'm eighteen years old, so yeah. We lost our 9 year old golden retriever during the middle of the night in the beginning of August-- I watched him die. My mom thought it'd be a good idea to get a puppy because she is leaving her husband and we're moving away, plus we lost our other dog. When we go out to the house we will be moving into, he's able to run and play all he wants and he gets exhausted. Hopefully moving there this weekend.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It really sounds like you have a perfectly normal golden puppy. At that age, they are major land sharks and like to bite and chew everything. He is still too young to be capable of being aggressive. It sounds like he just has a lot of pent up energy from lack of exercise and is just bursting at the seams to blow it off. Is there anyone who can help you with exercising him? Maybe you could enroll in some training classes with him? Training classes are a great resource as well as a bonding experience between you and your pup. It will eventually get better with time, but right now it sounds like exercise is the key so that he can expel his excess energy, which should significantly calm him way down and tire him out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dog is NOT going back to the breeder. Most of the reason I believe he is the way he is, is because at their house, there were no boundaries and they were just able to do anything they wanted. They had three little girls, nine of the puppies, both parents, two cats, some fish, and a german shepherd. It was chaotic there...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We did training classes-- the past four weeks. They just ended. We have a chain that can go into the ground so he can run around, but, I'm sort of afraid to put him on it and leave him out there.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
When we go out to the house we will be moving into, he's able to run and play all he wants and he gets exhausted. Hopefully moving there this weekend.
That's great! I do think the exercise will definitely help. I also wouldn't worry too much about aggressiveness just yet. When you move to your new place, find a puppy kindergarten class. The behavior you're describing isn't all that unusual in a young pup, but does need to be curbed. Consistent ongoing training will make a big difference.

ETA: I see you just finished up a class. Keep working on the training! It takes time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My puppy is the same way. The more you say no the harder he bites. I think he's testing us in a lot of ways. We couldn't even play with our puppy because it would always turn into biting. We tried all the things that were recommended and the only thing that has really helped us was walking away (sometimes with him attached to our legs) and praising him whenever he is doing something good...like over the top praising. The first few months I was positive that nothing was going to work, but he has slowly been improving. I think it's all about consistency.

My family also had a golden before our Teddy and he never bit us so this had all been a new experience and quiet frustrating at times.

I think your puppy sounds pretty normal though...after talking to our Vet and multiple trainers this is something that a lot of pups go through.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We did training classes-- the past four weeks. They just ended. We have a chain that can go into the ground so he can run around, but, I'm sort of afraid to put him on it and leave him out there.
I really hate to be so blunt, but this is not going to get any better and will probably only escalate if this dog does not get regular exercise. It's also not healthy for the puppy and can lead to obesity. Goldens are very prone to that if not properly exercised. They need to be able run and stretch their legs, play fetch, and go for daily walks. It's just not fair to keep the puppy pent up all day with absolutely no opportunity to exercise. This definitely is not aggression; it's a puppy who has so much built up energy and frustration because of lack of exercise. He is trying to tell you what he needs by acting out and tying him out on a chain by himself is not going to fix any of this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The classes we did were kindergarten ones. There's not much spare money we have, so I can't really do anything professional. He's been exposed to plenty of dogs and plays completely fine with them. Even the bigger ones (although, they seem to play too rough with him).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Jennifer!
My cousin is having similar problems, but his puppy is older and was with their mother a long longer than mine was...and isn't a golden.

·
Scouts Mom
844 Posts
Please don't take this as a criticism or as anything other than a suggestion for something that you should think about...

A young golden retriever needs a LOT of exercise to be happy and well behaved. If you're not going to be able to exercise the dog because of your medical condition, you may want to consider giving the dog back to the breeder. Puppies are hard work. Even well exercised ones take a lot of time and patience to train. They all go through biting, jumping testing stages. It requires a lot of training and a lot of exercise to keep a golden retriever (and his owner!!) happy and calm.

Again, please don't take this as criticism, it really isn't intended as such.

I have to disagree with you. This does not sound like normal puppy behavior. Growling, snarling, showing teeth, and attacking is not normal puppy behavior. Maybe instead of giving the dog back she could hire a dog walker and a trainer? Also, I don't think a golden puppy needs extreme amounts of exercise at 16 weeks old. At 16 weeks old my puppy was still sleeping and growing most of the time. I walked her 2-3 times a day once around the block and she was pooped out. I practically had to drag her along on walks and sometimes ended up carrying her home because she got tired so fast. There is a huge difference between puppy mouthing and play biting than what she is describing. JMO

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I understand Jwemt81, but I've had another golden puppy and he was not like this at all. Granted he wasn't in this position. But even so when we are in areas where he can run and get all his energy out, he's still a brat. The dog isn't going anywhere, that's for sure, as much as I told my mother to get rid of him in the beginning because of other issues... I'm not getting rid of him. That'd be too simple and I'm not going to do something that I rag on other people for and don't agree that people do. Just cause a dog isn't the best, doesn't mean you get rid of them as quickly as you got them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you heartofgold. Gavan gets walked a lot because he loves to be outside. As much as it's getting cold, I will go out and walk him up and down the block. The few times he's really been walked, we've had to carry him. Gavan loves to sleep. It's like his favorite thing to do. We have a huge backyard, but we are in a house that there is four other dogs on the other side of it (it's a duplex [step sister lives in the other side]) and her dogs are terrible. And too rough... so I don't want him around them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Luckypup. He does get walked. My mom will run him down the block a lot. I walk him up and down the street when I take him out to go to the bathroom. At our other house, it's a huge field and there's a big backyard, so I do believe he'll be fine then. But, he gets aggressive towards me for no reason it sometimes seems and it's very upsetting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have to ask....does your "muscle disorder" cause spasticity and occasional falls?

Have you noticed any correlation to your bad days and his teeth baring/growling?

I swear I am not trying to sound crazy...this has been discussed endlessly on a neuro forum....so it does actually happen.

I just really clicked on the part where you said he seems to focus this on you in particular...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts