Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 11 wk.golden, Murphy is very happy to have a big brother..our Toby ,who is 7. Although Toby is gentle and sweet, the puppy is making him a bit aggressive. I have a rope tug toy that the 7 yr. loves and he taunts the puppy to grab it. Once he does he keeps shortening up the rope, clear to his little nose. I'm paranoid he might bite little Murph. Yet Murphy never seems to coward down to him . Any good suggestions of what I should do? I hate to hear our puppy yelp...Please help

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
Has he actually snapped at the puppy and made contact? Honestly it sounds like he is playing very well with the puppy.

If you don't like hearing puppies yelp, you don't ever want to watch my 3, 13-week olds play! And they yelp when my 9-year old girl corrects them (which happens rarely and IMO, not nearly enough ;) ) She never makes contact but she does lift her lip and if they don't respond properly (by backing off and/or submitting) and keep coming at her, she will snap at them, not making contact. They yelp anyway and learn.

Just make sure that they are always supervised when together, until the puppy is older and bigger.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Sounds just like play time to me. I would be very happy that Toby likes to play with Murphy. If Murphy is happy with it, then it is all good.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Happy, Happy Puppy Play! They can usually sort things out. With your older one taunting the wee one...it sounds like a fun game! Take and post a video, please! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts