Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we have a 3 month old puppy. He is 80 percent sweet and 20 percent naughty, lol! My question is....within the past week or two he has started biting really hard while we are playing with him. He will be fine and then just get super fiesty and snarl his lip back and lunge and bite and keep on lunging and biting until we get him under control. Is that normal behavior for a puppy? Other than that he shows NO signs of aggression what so ever...he doesnt guard anything or have any food aggressions or anything like that. I have two kids so its a fine balance of keeping everyone safe and happy! Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
788 Posts
This is normal... not aggression what-so-ever. He is mouthing, not doing it to be nasty but it's his way of playing, like he did with his littermates. You should correct it though... when he bites you take your hand away and make a high pitched "yelp" noise.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would say it is completely normal. He is playing with you as he would his liter mates. My DH played with our Morgan and thought it was so cute when she snarled, she still does it to this day. Though she does not bite him hard. We laugh at her and tell her that her face will freeze that way :)

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Normal! But watch for it to get out of control. We had a time out for Coop where we changed play, went through sits and downs or even put him in his crate or pen for a few minutes until he settled down. Your babe has no littermates to play with now and must gently learn what level of play is acceptable. Soon the puppy teeth will fall out and adult teeth come in and will help the razor sharpness, but until then, watch for the excitement level to escalate too high and stop all play and turn away when he is out of control. He needs to learn what is too much. They are very smart pups and will soon learn it gets them no where if no one to play with.

Hang on there, many of us are in the same boat or just passing it. It Will get better I promise.

·
Premium Member
18,415 Posts
Scroll through the Puppy under 1 Year section of the board and you find probably hundreds of posts about this very same subject. They are loaded with advise and tips for managing and redirecting puppies so they learn not to do this with people. Totally normal puppy behavior, playing the way he would with other puppies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts