Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My pup, Ellie, is 11.5 weeks old and we've had her since she was 7 weeks old. She has been very enjoyable and sweet and responsive to our training for her not to bite. Within the last week she has started this new behavior of jumping up and grabbing my leg while trying to bite me. Even after addressing her, she continues to do it until I walk out of her area. Has anyone experienced this before and know how to deal with it? I try to ignore her but sometimes I can't because it hurts. I'm asking if anyone has dealt with this because I want to know if this is normal or aggressive behaviors starting to show in our pup. Any help would be wonderful!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Normal

I would say this is typical normal behaviof. 7 wks. is awfully early for her to be away from her mom-should be 8 wks. You can ask your vet what to do about the nipping, or if you google it, there is lots of information.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Keep doing what your doing. Redirect with a toy and walk away. Chloe still at seven months jumps and bites my moms arms when playing. We are still working on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Been There!

My puppy, Finn, did that when he was about 11 weeks old. It made me very nervous and I thought I had an aggressive dog on my hands.

It was also upsetting because he was doing it to me and not my husband so I saw it as some sort of dominance expression. He actually bit me hard enough one day to draw blood and bruise. This was not the same behaviour as his normal "puppy fighting".

I immediately signed up for obedience training and had a behaviour consult. The trainer did not seem overly worried about the behaviour and recommended "pet corrector". It is a little red aerosol can which just gives a surprising noise and a woosh of air. When he started with his lunging and snarling I used the pet corrector and it really caught him off guard. It just seemed to snap him out of it and I could then redirect him.

This was all after trying a few different things like time outs, or making a loud yelping sound to show him he was hurting me.

Anyways, I am not sure if it was the pet corrector or that he just grew out of it but the behaviour stopped completely. He is 5 months old now and is completely loving and sweet.

So....I've been there and can totally emphasize. I would try the pet corrector spray and mix it with a ton of patience. There were times when I had to put him in his pen and walk away because I was so upset and frustrated.
Don't worry!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Similar note...
Snarled teeth and barking each time our now 10 week pup meets my parents' neighbors now 14 week German Shepard. But after they re-meet he is more relaxed and less agressive. Still normal?

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
Ellie's behavior is pretty normal - and right on schedule at 11.5 weeks old! Shala went through a phase where she would literally attack me from behind - dive bombing me. I would step to the other side of a baby gate and turn my back, which would switch her attention from the hard play to "wait - come back!" If she resumed the "attacks" when I came back, I'd go back to the other side again. It's hard because in the moment, it feels like, why does my puppy hate me? But they don't. It's just how they play and develop with their siblings - and they're doing the same with us. Letting them calm down and redirecting worked best for us.

·
Noreaster
2,077 Posts
If you have access to some stable older dogs for your pup to play with, they're by far the best teachers for polite playing behavior.

Griffey has tried it with me a few times but I fold my hands into my armpits and look at the sky. Then one of my other dogs usually sighs, walks up, and humps him a few times. It's very helpful!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts