Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Goldens prone to being aggressive chewers? I have a friend who has a golden that has swallowed some tennis balls while playing fetch, and has eaten underwear that was left on the floor! { I know her fault} I guess what I really want to know is if they are more of an avid chewer than other breeds!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
There are breeds that are worse, but all the retrieving breeds are pretty substantial chewers since they're very mouth-oriented and enjoy holding and manipulating things with their mouths.

I've heard that when retrievers are problem chewers, giving them more retrieving games and exercises can help modulate the urge. With my own dogs, who get lots of retrieving games and time (especially tennis ball fetch), my experience has been that we don't have much problem chewing after the second adolescent teething phase (9-11 months).

I've heard, though not experienced, that with dogs who swallow objects, teaching them retrieving games and playing them a lot can limit that urge. I have no idea if this is true.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Gilmour has been known to snack on pressure treated landscape timbers, bottle caps that the cat brought him (hmmm.....), and can destroy an "indestructible" fire-hose dog toy in minutes.

The answer is yes :)

The only toy I have found truly indestructible, so far, are those made from "ZogoFlex", and then only the large one's.

Are Goldens prone to being aggressive chewers? I have a friend who has a golden that has swallowed some tennis balls while playing fetch, and has eaten underwear that was left on the floor! { I know her fault} I guess what I really want to know is if they are more of an avid chewer than other breeds!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
IMO, goldens aren't any worse than other large breeds. Neither of my goldens were chewers but my lab was terrible. She would destroy anything she could get her mouth on. My BIL's lab chewed her way out of the laundry though the drywall. Our daughter's fiance's GSD is a chewer. I don't think you can say "it's a golden so I'm not surprised it chews" or "I'm not getting a golden because they chew."

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Willow52, I know a lot of people who have labs that have been extremely destructive, one friend of mine had a lab that also ate it's way out of the house via a crate, and then the wall....

I would not discount a dog for being a chewer, I was just wondering what to expect as some breeds have a different level of chewing, and each dog is also different! I would always make sure the dog was exercised mentally, and physically and of course I would also supply tons of toys! ;)

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I'm lucky that Ranger will only chew on things he's allowed...he's actually never once chewed on something that wasn't "his". Well, once he brought me my running shoe at 9:00am but I think that was more his way of saying "Get your lazy butt out of bed and walk me!".

The things he can chew are usually destroyed fairly quickly. Stuffed toys are a big no-no. He'll chew a hole with this back teeth then pull out the stuffing in seconds. He needs the opaque nylabones because he'll chew large chunks off the softer, bendy ones. He has a few rubber squeaky toys he likes to play with (bad cuz, a chicken, and a dumbbell) but he never chews those enough to damage them. I know one lab who chewed the legs off of his cuz, but Ranger shows no inclination to do that.

When buying toys now I look for super durable ones and figure there's a fifty-fifty chance it will get wrecked. Less if it's rubber, more if it's soft...though his tuffy ring has held up really well. Overall, I'd say ranger is strong chewer - but not aggressive.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Oops, one more thing to the mention about retrieving games helping lessen the urge to chew. Ranger used to love to shred paper and cardboard when I got him (which went over really well at work one day when he shredded a bunch of blueprints and made the office look like it had snowed). Since then I've given him a "job" of delivering file folders to people or carrying them for me when I go from office to office. It has definitely stopped him from chewing on paper! Now he likes to just hold paper in his mouth until someone takes it from him. Though once something has been in his mouth, it's never safe from him again. He can pick out the folder he delivered from 20 others on a desk and he'll very gently try to take it off the desk again...for what reason, I haven't figured out yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Molly, our 12 month old Golden never chews anything in the house but outside is a different story. She has eaten the hot tub cover, the siding, any stuffed toy we leave outside, the air conditioning power, underground lights, etc. I think it depends on the dog though. What makes it worse is I give her big bones to chew on and she bury's those. We had a golden retriever lab mix and she chewed some but not like this one. I hope she gets over it soon. I have a friend with a lab and his is the same as Molly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts