Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m seeking for help, because I don’t know what to do. My 4th month golden retriever puppy is getting really aggressive. I’m afraid he stays like that. I have given him toys, and he does bite them, but he also hasn’t stop biting flesh. Not only that, but he gets really aggressive while playing, and gets the sudden urge to bite me and others. I also have a hard time showering him, and I have tried giving him treats, but at the end he ends up biting me, and it has gotten to the point where I’m scared to touch him because he might bite me. He is also food aggressive, but I think he’s getting better on that. I don’t want to look for a trainer, or have to give him away; so I am looking for other options. Please help I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Use the search function. There are hundreds of posts about puppy behaviour, puppy biting etc etc etc.

But not wanting to use a trainer doesn’t sound good to me. Search ‘land shark’, Golden’s puppies are notorious for this. Dogs are very rarely born aggressive. Puppies ‘aggressive’ behaviour is 99% of the time due to lack of appropriate training/behaviour management by the humans. So seems like getting the help of a trainer to train you to better train your puppy and manage their behaviour would be a good idea. You can learn a lot from a good trainer who uses positive humane methods.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
Agreed. What you are describing is 100% normal and the forum has many MANY posts from owners of puppies about the same age concerned about the biting and that their puppy might be "aggressive." It would be extremely rare for a puppy this young to be truly aggressive (especially a Golden puppy!). He's a baby who is trying to figure things out in this new human world and seeing what works to get him what he wants. You absolutely should consider either a puppy class or a private trainer who can teach YOU how to teach your puppy (gently, clearly and fairly) what is and is not acceptable behavior in his new family. There are also good books and online resources for you (try Kikopup on line videos and the "Guides" on the Life with Rune Facebook page).

That said, to some extent, this "land shark phase" is something you just need to wait out. It WILL get better, especially if you do the work to let the puppy know that biting won't get him what he wants.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Golden puppies are very mouthy. They are retrievers - in other words, the explore the world through their mouths. This means that they chew and bite and nip more than puppies of other breeds. It is a characteristic of the breed. So your puppy isn't becoming aggressive, he's simply becoming a golden retriever and is exploring the world using his mouth. What you regard as biting, he regards as normal play. He is simply behaving like every other untrained golden retriever puppy that hasn't been taught how to live by human rules.

If you don't want him to put his teeth on you, your only option is to train him. The things you are currently doing - giving treats, being afraid - are actually encouraging him to be mouthy. To a dog, chewing on a toy or chewing on a human is the same thing, and it isn't wrong in their world. It is simply what they do. Your job is to teach him that chewing humans is against the rules. There are lots of ways of doing this, none of which can be adequately described in a social media post. You will need to do your research on the internet. Look up "clicker training", for example. Because your pup's behaviour is natural behaviour for a dog, it isn't fair or right to punish him for it. You need to find a mostly positive training method, such as clicker training. If you are going to use treats, you need to learn how to use them properly, in a way that will encourage desired behaviour and not undesired behaviour. Timing is everything, and it's essential to use the treats as a reward for good behaviour, and not as a bribe or lure to stop bad behaviour.

It is far easier to do this by consulting a good trainer who teaches humans how to train dogs using mostly positive methods, or by taking basic obedience classes at a good training school, if there is one near where you live.

Best of luck, hope you find a solution.

·
Registered
915 Posts
You need to take charge and train your dog or have someone else train both of you. It is not that hard and anyone with the desire and dedication to have a well trained dog can do it. There are countless resources available to guide you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The point of a trainer isn't to train your dog. They don't see your dog often enough to do that (unless you have tons of money I guess). Their goal is to teach you how to train your dog. So technically, you can get around hiring a trainer by educating yourself. Watch tons of videos of good trainers, read lots of books, and most importantly, put in the time with your dog. To be honest, from what it sounds like, though, you would benefit immensely from puppy classes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would seek a professional trainer ASAP. They will be able to help you. You want to stop those behaviors before he is 70+ pounds. He is still young and with the right training he will learn

·
Premium Member
18,539 Posts
Why not look for a trainer? You need a trainer to teach you how to teach your puppy. Find a trainer to work with you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts