Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
a “tough love” trainer
I bet that means wiffle bat maybe even E collar, the horror ;)
First, your assumptions couldn’t be more wrong. Second, how dare you suggest I would allow my dog to be struck or mistreated in any way. It simply meant that our trainer did not constantly load up Cooper with treats, which gave him diahrrea. Cooper was not food motivated. We used a prong collar appropriately and fitted well in training because he was choking himself on a regular collar. We laid him on his side for a time out when he was out of control. All this worked for us. But I don’t have to justify our methods to you. I offer this as an option to consider for the poster in an effort to help.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Second, how dare you suggest I would allow my dog to be struck or mistreated in any way.
I never suggested that your dog, or any dog, should be mistreated.

Appropriate use of your well fitted prong collar is considered mistreatment, if not outright abuse, by some people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I never suggested that your dog, or any dog, should be mistreated.

Appropriate use of your well fitted prong collar is considered mistreatment, if not outright abuse, by some people.
They are likely uninformed but entitled to their opinion. Good day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey! My male golden is 23 weeks old and has become very aggressive with me for the last few weeks. I am struggling with him lunging at me and basically attacking me/biting me.
We were on a walk at the park tonight and he all of a sudden lunged and grabbed onto my arm, shorts, anything he could get his teeth on. He was growling and by the time I was able to contain him I was bleeding. When he does this, all I can do is grab his collar and try to keep him from latching on to me. Yesterday I took his Kong to refill and when I was walking away he came up to me and bit my rear and grabbed on to my shorts and started growling. He was not playing with the Kong when I took it. I experienced the same aggression yesterday after I took him out for the potty. He was on his retractable leash and lunged, growled, bit etc. I couldn't get him to stop and fortunately the neighbors dog came out and I was able to get Maverick off his leash and he went to play. I am very frustrated and frankly a little scared of this puppy. My previous golden was the sweetest thing ever and unfortunately had be put down in January at the age of six due to bone cancer. We just started dog training, but I feel like things are not getting better...just worse. I do not want to get rid of him because I think he has the potential to be a wonderful dog. I am just really struggling with how to handle this. He has most of his adult teeth now and is about 50 lbs. Advise would be great

Thanks so much.
First, you need to contact the breeder. They need to know that these 2 parents produced aggressive puppies. 2nd. I would talk to a trainer. I personally hate those retractable leashes. You have no control over the puppy in them and they give the sense to the puppy that he is in charge. The trainer will "train you" to be the alpha dog. But you need to act fast. I personally start nipping any behaviors that could lead to any form of food guarding or biting when the puppies are 5-6 weeks old. Zero tolerance. And they learn the right behavior very easy at a young age. Positive reinforcement is the key and correcting the undesired behavior immediately. Goldens or dogs in general respond to positive feedback. Everything I do is to try calm the puppies, scratching their chest for example, instead of head and when they run to me i always have my hand out to be ready to give them a scratch. This also automatically makes them sit as they approach me. The puppy should never go out the door first or even inside the house, the owner should always walk to a new environment before the puppy. It's little things like that that will make the difference. GOOD LUCK!!!!!! Hope it works out. Make sure to contact the breeder.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts