Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a lot of you know, we have two new members of the family. Ginger and Bogey (both 14 weeks old). They are as wonderful as any Golder Retriever pup should be. Ginger is very quiet and laid back and Bogey is more active. Ginger does not like to cuddle and Bogey loves it.

Anyway, I think we're starting to identify a situation that may hazardous to their health :eek: . As they get older their play is getting totally out of control. They have drawn blood on each other many times in the last two weeks and I actually caught Ginger thrashing Bogey while she had a firm bite into his soft skin under his neck. Ginger has a tooth hole completely through her ear. They cry out and squeal, separate for a short while and dive right back into their mauling each other. It appears that they are playing with no intention of doing harm because they always seem to just love to start over again.

They sleep, eat, walk, and do everything together in very good harmony. They appear to love one another very much.

We have never raised two pups together before and are not sure just how to remedy this situation. We started puppy kindergarten last Thursday and we'll see if this helps.

Any suggestions or comments?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hello Boogity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are singing my song!!!!!!!!!!

In case you didn't read my intro, I have 5 dogs, 4 of which are 2 yrs old and under! I have one senior (Tessa) who is 11 yrs old and the next in age was 2 in March (Cooper) ....then three others after that, ages right now, (Gretchen)19 months, (Hannah) 11 months, and (Heather) 8 months.

We had very similar problems with Gretchen and Hannah (here on out known as G&H).......... Even though mine are farther apart in age than yours, I can relate totally to what you are going through. G&H were constantly getting into it. Real live dog fights!! At the tender age of about 6 months old, H decided that SHE was the alpha dog and G had better step aside, even though of the three older dogs, no one had established ALPHA status. ... G&H would look at each other and it was "dog fight on".... They could be playing in the same room, minding their own business and suddenly poof......FIGHT. I was on another wonderful forum at the time, and it was strongly suggested to me that it most definately had to be brought to a halt, RIGHT NOW.

I immediately started stepping in the middle of these fights, doing the alpha roll on H as she was the cause of the fights 99% of the time. We were very diligent in separating them. This was all happening around January, and after much referee'ing I can now trust them to be together without literally biting each other's heads off. They know that playing is fine, but the INSTANT I hear them growl, I am on them like flies on $hit. All 4 of my pups know that NO GROWLING and NO REALLY ROUGH STUFF, or it's curtains for them. Now before I get blasted... NO I DO NOT HIT OR PUNISH MY DOGS. They just know that I'm alpha, and if they're being naughty, if I even get up from the computer or couch or wherever I happen to be... they are in TROUBLE. All it takes is a look. :D

So, this is probably more info than you wanted ;) , but.... put a stop to it now. Make them be friends before it gets any more fierce. Your pups are younger than mine, so I would think it would be easier to get this stopped than it was for me.

What also works for me in place of the alpha roll is getting their attention by grabbing them on both sides of their jowls, the loose skin around their neck area, and what I do, I bring their face real close to mine and growl right back at them. JUST LIKE THEIR DOG MAMA WOULD DO. They understand that really really fast!!!!!!!!!!!!! If the timing is right, and they are growling so much that they don't notice you, try that little trick.... it does work!!!!!

Oh, still to this day, if my puppers are outside in the outdoor kennel I do have to keep G&H in separate runs or I really think they would fight to the death......but they are perfect in the house now.... after a lot of work!!!!

Good Luck!

p.s. G&H never drew blood that I know of....but it was all out war when they would fight!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick response GO. And no, you didn't offer more than I wanted. I appreciate all of it.

I realize that I did not mention in my original post :doh: but we do separate them every time they get into it nowadays.

Could you explain the "alpha roll"? I've heard it mentioned in several other threads but I'm not sure I know how to pul it off.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The "alpha roll". Um.......... I'm not sure there is a wrong or right way to do this. It more or less means you establish an alpha position.

Think of the pups in a litter. When they upset their dog-mom, what does she do? Rolls them on their back (sometimes quite roughly!!!), and looks them IN THE EYE and growls at them. When little pups play (still in the litter), the alpha pup will almost 100% of the time, be the one on top...with the one under him/her on his back looking up at them. Pups understand this dog language to say Oh dear, I'm in TROUBLE!

When the pups are little, I establish this alpha position as soon as possible. With your pups being 14 weeks old, they are young enough to learn this Quickly!!!

This is what I would do: If at all possible, when the pups are wrestling, I would sneak into the fray, and push the alpha pup off balance, rolling him onto his back... when I'm doing this, I'm saying "NO NO" very firmly and just a little louder than their growl, so that makes ME boss. I get over the top of the pup who is on his back, at times holding onto the loose skin around their neck and I growl IN THEIR FACE.

Ok... you can all laugh.........I know it must be something to see! hehehehehehehehe!!! But, it works, and they learn because this is "dog language"!!!

Think like a puppy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts