Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first time pup owner. You have already seen various threads I've been starting. I just have a couple of questions, what are the difficult periods/ages of a puppy? Like when and what should I expect?

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I am no expert, but have two older pups and this is what we have found.

10 - 16 wks - Land Sharks, puppy teeth and they put everything in their mouths. Put everything they might eat away. They will try to mouth your hands, arms, legs. Remember they don't have hands so they use their mouths instead. In the 4 - 5 mo the puppy teeth will be replaced with adult, so this faze stops and your scars heal!

5 mo - can be a fear time for some pups. Things that never bothered them before now may be a bit scary

8 mo - ? This starts our latest stage. All the training seems forgotten, counter-surfing, zoomies to the extreme. The more knowledgeable tell us this is the beginning of the teen time. OMG - The most fun, but most difficult. Train, train, fun, fun!! I don't have a clue how long this will last, but Kye is learning so much now and pushing her boundries. She is also the biggest clown, and keeps you laughing a lot.

This is as far as I can say in my own experiences. I am sure others can come here and supply much more. Learn to laugh more, work hard with your pup and it will pay off so much! I know I will miss this time when it passes, but boy the first few years are going to be exciting for sure.

Biggest thing is come here to talk of your stories, learn to laugh will us all cause we have been there and it is great knowing we are not alone.

Someday we will have the beautiful well mannered adults you see here, but all of us had to go through the puppy stage at some time.

Reactions: Kinjal

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Mine definitely went through a terrible teens time from about 8 to 10 months old. She would seriously throw temper tantrums as bad as any overtired kid's in WalMart. We'd be walking along just fine, and suddenly she'd start pulling, biting at the leash, jumping around, down on the ground, refusing to calm down, refusing to listen, going nuts. I'd literally have to stand there and just let her get it out. People would be looking at me like, "you need to get that dog some training..." Thing is, she WAS trained. But she was in a brat stage.

It passed. She recalled all the previous training, and life went on...

Reactions: Deber

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Oh, the terrible teens when they develop selective hearing. Everything they once knew goes out the window. Unless Dakota was looking at me, she didn't hear a thing I told her.
Come? Mom must be talking to someone else. When did mom get another dog named Dakota? That's cool, I can just continue on where I wanted to go. I like this other dog named Dakota! Oh shoot, I looked at Mom, she means me! Must remember not to look at her, my curiousity about that other dog means now I have to go back.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Mine definitely went through a terrible teens time from about 8 to 10 months old. She would seriously throw temper tantrums as bad as any overtired kid's in WalMart. We'd be walking along just fine, and suddenly she'd start pulling, biting at the leash, jumping around, down on the ground, refusing to calm down, refusing to listen, going nuts. I'd literally have to stand there and just let her get it out. People would be looking at me like, "you need to get that dog some training..." Thing is, she WAS trained. But she was in a brat stage.

It passed. She recalled all the previous training, and life went on...
Yes, this stage is know joke. There is a thread out there now with a bunch of us with this age pup where people vent. It is fun at times but boy o boy do they push you. Just had a walk this morning that detailed everything the above post said. A normal 15 min walk took 30. The vets on here says it passes so here's to hoping they are right!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So basically I'm going through the teething stage. But then there's a teenage stage around the corner. Wow, they really do keep us on our toes!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Hang in there Kinjal thankfully each stage has had a brief period of wonderfull. As Baumgartm said there are a bunch of us with pups just hitting these teen times. Every morning it is a new world and we do what we can to get through, laugh and know this is but another faze. Wear long sleeves a lot and work on training. I was never so glad as when adult teeth started coming in.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
So basically I'm going through the teething stage. But then there's a teenage stage around the corner. Wow, they really do keep us on our toes!
But if you know it's coming, it's a little bit easier. And you know it WILL pass. Really and truly. And then it's all nothing but good from there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts