Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My family and I have been looking for a golden for sometime now and while we are not new to the breed we are new to searching for registered AKC pups. In that past we have rescued dogs or purchased from local families so this experience has become challenging. My wife has found a breeder with a pup that she likes. She has visited and thinks the pup would be great for our family but I am hesitant due to the puppy currently being 14 weeks old. The sire is Sleepysong Sherlock SR75192101 and the dam is Xena The White Princess SR90525103. I am having trouble finding information on registration and clearances.

Are there any warning signs we should look out for? The pup seems to be in good health, is very sociable and well behaved for his age

The pup hasn’t had much for training, would getting a pup at the age of 14 weeks be more difficult to train vs. at 8 weeks?

We are not looking to show or breed, we just want to find a good family dog to involve in hunting and daily chores around the farm.

Thank you for any information or suggestions.

TG

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1969370 is the dam's OFA page.
Pedigree: Sleepysong Sherlock is the sire's k9data page. I would not buy a puppy from this pairing. There are no OFA clearances on the sire. The dam has only a passing elbow clearance, nothing else.
The age wouldn't bother me as long as the pup hasn't been stuck in a crate and ignored- in other words, if they have been working w puppy... but that pedigree is one you can't verify health on.
And to be involved in hunting- I don't see any hunting titles on any of the dogs that I can verify on k9data or OFA- if you need a hunting dog, try to find one that you can see a likelihood of ability behind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1969370 is the dam's OFA page.
Pedigree: Sleepysong Sherlock is the sire's k9data page. I would not buy a puppy from this pairing. There are no OFA clearances on the sire. The dam has only a passing elbow clearance, nothing else.
The age wouldn't bother me as long as the pup hasn't been stuck in a crate and ignored- in other words, if they have been working w puppy... but that pedigree is one you can't verify health on.
And to be involved in hunting- I don't see any hunting titles on any of the dogs that I can verify on k9data or OFA- if you need a hunting dog, try to find one that you can see a likelihood of ability behind.
Thank you for your help and information. I am amazed by your detective skills, apparently I need more work!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts