Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AT WHAT AGE SHOULD YOU FIX YOUR GOLDEN FEMALE AND NOT LET HER HAVE ANYMORE PUPPIES? I have a four-year-old Golden that is my baby, Angel. She just had her first litter and all went well. We are keeping one of her girl puppies. I do not own any males. I use a friend of mine's male, Lord Oliver Stone, as stud service. He's a very healthy AKC dog. She is also keeping one of my Angel's female pups. We sold the other 6 pups to local Golden lovers. And we still keep having people contact us about more puppies. It seems that everyone loves a pure golden! I was wanting to let her and Stone have another litter. Should I let her? If so, should I let her go through a heat cycle between this litter she just had and the next without breeding her. She'll be six by then. If i shouldn't breed her again, how old does her daughter have to be before I can breed her. Should I let her go through her first heat cycle without being bred?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not familiar with breeding, but I've read that they shouldn't breed until they are at least 2, because at 2 you can get xrays and everything else checked to see if she/he has any inherited disease like HD.

·
Registered
46 Posts
you shouldn't breed her until she's at least 2, so you can get all the proper clearances (which I hope you are!).

As for your older ones, you should definitely wait at LEAST one heat cycle out. Most dogs go in heat again 6 months after their litter and that would be way too soon to have puppies again. It could result in serious health issues for both mom and puppies.

The way my breeder does it is, she waits until the female is 2, gets her health clearances then, then waits until she goes into heat, lets her have a litter of puppies, then waits 2 heat cycles before she breeds her again and breeds her again the 3rd heat, if she's healthy of course. Then after her 2nd litter, she spays her.

·
DogMom DogDesigns
225 Posts
My breeder, a third generation professional breeder with well-known show dogs, will only breed dogs twice ever their entire life, at least 18-24 months apart. Only two litters ever, per dog -- male or female!!!!!!! Please please please reconsider backyard breeding. Stud services do not produce good quality dogs -- if a male is used for a stud, you do not know his natural temperment & you don't know how his puppies' temperments will be. Professional breeders mostly use articial insemination too, to make sure the best sperm is used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts