Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, so thanks in advance for the help!

My wife and I are looking at adopting a puppy, but although he'll be 8 weeks and ready to go at the end of April, we're going to be away for 2 1/2 weeks in May, and so we don't want to get him and then be away for that long. But that means, if we wait until we come back, that he'll be 13 weeks old before we get him. Is that too long to wait? Considering also that we already have a cat and we want them to get along!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I think you'll have to discuss this with the breeder or whoever you're adopting from. 13wks is quite late to be taking a pup home, but I think it'd be best to leave it with the breeder as long as the puppy is no longer feeding from its mother.

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
Can you bring him home for a couple of weeks and then ask your breeder to take him back while you are away? That way, you get to start housetraining, crate training, and loving the little cutie at the really fun age. Then he goes back to someone who knows him well and will care for him well, and then you come back and continue? I would have to miss those early weeks. Guess you can't cancel or postpone your trip?

·
Kate
21,881 Posts
First - it's buying a puppy from a breeder, adopting from a rescue or rehome.

The age of the puppy - It depends on the breeder.

I believe it probably makes better sense to leave a puppy with a breeder - if the puppy is going to have a lot of nurturing and training and handling during that time.

By 13 weeks, you hope a puppy is mostly potty trained by that time in normal circumstances. That is problematic if the breeder is not really doing a lot with the puppies and/or they are allowed to pee all over, etc.

·
Noreaster
2,077 Posts
Does the breeder have a cat? If so, introducing the puppy to yours at 13 weeks shouldn't be terrible, although your cat may think otherwise!

The biggest question for me would be if the breeder would commit to actively socializing the puppy and getting him out in the world several times a week. You don't get that time back. I would also offer to pay for that additional time and effort. If he/she is willing to commit to that, those additional weeks with a good, stable mama dog could be a real positive in learning doggie manners and bite inhibition.

Honestly, for me, house training is the least of it, compared with teaching your puppy and giving him good experiences.

Reactions: rabernet

·
Kate
21,881 Posts
Honestly, for me, house training is the least of it, compared with teaching your puppy and giving him good experiences.
Housetraining is pretty important though - because 16+ weeks, you start having more issues with puppies beginning to mark and so on. If a pup is not in the least bit potty trained by then - that'd be a huge pain.

About socializing - a lot of people do more harm than good when "socializing" their puppies. Generally if the breeder is really experienced and great with the puppies - they would do a better job than the owners. This includes some people packing puppies up and bringing them to obedience classes they may be attending or teaching, or taking them to dog shows or other places. The puppy would also receive positive socialization with other dogs during that time.

That's why I said it matters where the puppies come from.

If the puppies are going to receive very little handling and training work from the breeder - that's where leaving with breeder for the extra month would be an issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts