Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our sweet little Bella-Roni is an overachiever. She caught not just 1 parasite, but 2 馃檮.

I posted awhile back about the persistent diarrhea our now 5-month old Golden has been having. About 3 weeks ago it escalated to multiple (every 1-2 hr) middle of the night trips outside where she urgently had to go, one time even going in the hallway by the elevator of our building.

Well, after $1,000 or so in vet bills and multiple different diets over the past 2.5 months, we finally have an answer. Her PCR test just came back positive for cryptosporidium and clostridium. We are starting tylan (1/8th tsp 2x a day for 28 days) and Azithromycin (250 mg a day for 7 days, split into 2 doses), along with a diet shift from Hills I/D to Royal Canin hydrolyzed protein to calm her GI tract down. Also giving 2 capsules of visbiome probiotics daily. She completed a 7 day course of flagyl a week ago too when things got really bad.

On one hand, I am relieved we have a treatment plan, but on the other I know these are not the easiest to treat, and living in a city means there are ALOT of opportunities for re-exposure. She also has to go and stay with her dog walker for a week in 2 weeks, and I feel a little bad giving him a pup who needs meds, but luckily they're easy to administer and the vet didn't think she poses much risk to other dogs, especially after 2 weeks of treatment.

Oh, and to make things more fun she went ahead and got stung/bit by who-know-what yesterday which led to a swollen face and hives all over her stomach. 1 dose of benadryl cleared that all up, but she's still really itchy. Hard to say if that's from the bite she got, or a side effect of new food/probiotic.

Super Moderator Leader
I'm glad to hear you got a diagnosis of what was going on with your girl. Hope the meds clear it up quickly.

Sorry to hear she was stung or bitten, my first Golden got bit and stung several times during his 15.5 years.

Premium Member
cryptosporidium and clostridium.
Those are 2 that I wouldn't expect. I've never had a dog with either of those.
Just a hint though, when you give probiotics, don't give them with the other drugs, they may counteract each other. If you give the meds once a day at say breakfast, then give the probiotics at dinner. Or give at least 4 hours difference between the 2 different things. I learned this the hard way. I also just sprinkle the probiotics on food with some water.

Did your vet suggest anything else like yogurt? Just curious what their suggested diets are.
Does your vet think your dog picked it up from fecal material while on a walk? If so, do they suggest washing your dog's feet when returning home? How about cleaning your dog's back side after defecating to remove any possibility of bringing the parasites back inside? Did they suggest washing bedding or the floors?
My last question, did your vet say if either parasite can be transfered to humans?

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

Super Moderator
I hope she gets better soon with these antibiotics!

Registered
As someone who also had a pup with two parasites (coccidia and giardia) I echo what Alaska said about the anti and probiotics. In fact, as per my vet's recommendation, I only gave the probiotics once all the antibiotics were done and we confirmed she was no longer infected. THEN we started to rebuild her good gut bacteria. It was a many months long process, but eventually my pup was fine. I also kept her on the bland food for several months afterwards (she was on the Purina EN gastroenteric).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are 2 that I wouldn't expect. I've never had a dog with either of those.
Just a hint though, when you give probiotics, don't give them with the other drugs, they may counteract each other. If you give the meds once a day at say breakfast, then give the probiotics at dinner. Or give at least 4 hours difference between the 2 different things. I learned this the hard way. I also just sprinkle the probiotics on food with some water.

Did your vet suggest anything else like yogurt? Just curious what their suggested diets are.
Unexpected for us too--I didn't even consider them as options until the PCR test found them.

Interesting about spacing probiotics and meds apart--I think I may need to switch to doing that. The vet did not say we had to, and the directions for the probiotics don't mention it, but I googled it and it does look like the antibiotics can make the probiotics less effective. Her meds are 2x a day, so I guess the probiotics need to be at lunch. The suggested diet is a hydrolyzed protein diet until her GI system calms down. Then we'll try to get her back first to ID food, then to normal kibble if she can tolerate it.

Does your vet think your dog picked it up from fecal material while on a walk? If so, do they suggest washing your dog's feet when returning home? How about cleaning your dog's back side after defecating to remove any possibility of bringing the parasites back inside? Did they suggest washing bedding or the floors?
My last question, did your vet say if either parasite can be transfered to humans?
What is frustrating is she likely caught them while only being allowed on pavement 馃が. So it's hard to say where they came from. I was told they were "opportunistic", and really only affect dogs who are young, old, or having other issues that let these parasites in. The theory is she caught them after eating a cicada or a treat that caused her GI issues, and they got into her GI tract then.

Yes on washing bedding, and wiping her butt after she poops, and paws when inside. We live in a city with all shared public spaces/grass, so our main thing now is get rid of the major issue, then get her GI system in good shape so if/when she does encounter these bugs again, it wont get back in and take over.

Jury is out on if humans can catch them. Likely not, but we're being careful.

My biggest gripe right now is the first vet who saw the results acted like it was no big deal, just probiotics and we'd be fine. The vet who ordered the test called us 2 days later, and said we had to treat and this was more serious than the first vet let on. I only got the info on washing her and her bedding AFTER I followed up and asked those questions. It also means she was exposed to quite a few more dogs after we found out about the infection because the first vet acted like it was NBD. Ugh. Granted, with all shared spaces, we likely caught it and already shared it all over the area, so not much we can do besides make sure we're being good now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts