Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy enjoys going on walks, and has since we first got her a couple weeks ago. We take her on 4 short (5-15 minute) walks daily. She turned 10 weeks yesterday.

We have a small neighborhood of maybe 4 streets, so we like going around a little loop from home to potty, around the far side, then back home. But starting yesterday she's been fearful of continuing on past her potty spot. She wants to go right back home (she wants to RUN but we try to go at a walk). I have been able to lure her 10-15 feet at a time with a treat, but the minute the treat is eaten her tail drops back down, she refuses to walk further, and it's over. I can keep giving her treats, and she does good until I run out of them.

Any thoughts? Should I just keep up with the treats coaxing her a little further?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
It is a big world out there and it can be scarey for some pups. Keep up luring her a little bit farther each day, but don't ask for too much - there is no harm in going home. Confidence is built with repetition.

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
I agree, give her time but I would suggest that you make sure to get her out in the rain and snow so you don't end up with a 7 month old drama queen like my Bentley :D

(And he has been out in it from day one)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
She's probably having a little fear period right now. Just keep luring her as far as she'll go, then turn around and walk calmly home like its no big deal. Be sure not to coax her or tell her "it's OK," etc.. The more ho-hum you are, the faster she'll pick up there's nothing to fear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts