Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a lovely Golden 10 months old now, called Dana. Having read very good reviews about the Kong Wobbler, I bought one, but she's afraid of it. If I wobble it, she recedes one or two steps, and then when it stops, she goes for the food that fell, but no more. Actually, she's afraid of anything "new" like gadgets in a table, toys, etc. but amazingly, not afraid of "scary" things like huge firework shows, new people, huge parties or things like that.

I tried to put very smelly and tasty things in the wobbler, like fondant cheese (she loves it), she goes very cautiously to lick it, and then runs from it.

By the way, she's completely socialized with other dogs, and she's amazingly obedient (she's my 5th dog), being able to go by the street without leash since she was 6 months old, walking no far than one meter around me.

Thanks for you help!!!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I think you just need to leave the wobbler out and don't do anything with it (meaning don't move it). Just let it sit out in the room and maybe put lots of kibble around it (feed her her meal this way) NOT inside it. Hopefully she will then start to associate this with a good thing and once she is comfortable with it just sitting in the room, then you can move on to moving it a little bit.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
This is a good time to use a clicker or even just the word "yes'!. Reward anything she does to touch or sniff the toy. Tell her"go see", and jus praise her up for anything she does that interacts with the wobbler. Take it away after a few minutes on a successful note. If yu build a positive history for her with the toy, after a week or so, she will play with it.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Hello everyone!

I have a lovely Golden 10 months old now, called Dana. amazingly obedient (she's my 5th dog), being able to go by the street without leash since she was 6 months old, walking no far than one meter around me.
Have you encountered squirrels, cats or has she been startled by a loud noise or something running up to her quickly?

I would never ever trust without a leash on or near the street.

As for the wobbler, Bayne was afraid of it at first so we just left it alone. Later we filled it and put it on the floor, eventually he figured it out and now just loves it. It's a noisy plaything though, can't watch TV while he is banging that thing around. LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all your answers!!!

Yesterday I worked with Dana and the Wobbler, and now she licks sometimes the hole, and sometimes she kicks it gently, so I think we're progressing! hahah! For me, the key thing is to lay with her on the ground and be near the Wobbler, then she's more confident... I'll tell you if there are more improvements!!!

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
I don't really have any solutions, other than to let her explore it in her own time. I just wanted to say that I hope she comes around. Once she does, it'll be her fave toy. I got one for my boy, and he loves it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts