Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are moving in 2 weeks, 18 hrs away. It is a very small city in comparison to where we live right now, no dog parks, no daycare, we know only a handful of people a few with dogs there. Marshall loves daycare and our dogpark and he clearly gets very sad when does not get to go for weeks, he loves loves loves playing with other dogs. This played a huge part in our decision to get a second golden, in addition that we think we are ready for another. Marshall is 13 months old and the new addition is 18 months (a female). She came from a breeder, she used to be shown but she grew up with some "cosmetic defects" so she will no longer be shown or breed. She is actually very sweet, much more behaved than our current dog, I know its because the training is just not comparable, as much as we try.

Now she came home last night and things were great for the most part. They met outside the condo. I think Marshall is slowly getting used to her being her and so is she. The growling and snarling and snapping occurs when they fight over toys. She drops a bone, he gets it, she decides she wants it back and the snarling ensues. We try to break it up with the a loud/firm "Eh! Eh!". I have put the bin of toys away for now to lessen the toys to fight over and if a toy appears to be very desirable to both of them (usually a bone or an antler) I put it away as well. They seem to be fine when left alone, they go lie down and sleep. It is when I play with them they try to get my attention and the other gets "mad". Sorry I feel like I am rambling now. My question is, how should we handle the snarling/growling/snapping, do we break it up everytime or let them resolve it on their own??? Since we got her home about 5pm yesterday to 10 am today, we've have about 5 of this happen (3 of those within the first hour), so I guess it is getting better. I might have been to optimistic and naive that since they both are used to other dogs, they would be bestfriends within 10 mins...what was I thinking???!!!

Our current dog is usually submissive to other dogs. At first he seems scared of her. If she snarled, he would quickly snarl back or he would go away and at one point he started to just walk away and watch her from a few feet away. But the last 2 incidents he was more confrontational, holding his space and not going away. Should I be worried about this? I so desperately want them to be friends. I have yet to see them really play and wrestle, I did see them give each other kisses a couple times. Maybe this will just take some time.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Give them time. There is an adjustment period. Patience, management, and consistency are key. Remember just because there are two of them, they won't exercise themselves. Get out and exercise and keep up the training. It will give each their "you" time. It will help you bond with the new dog and help improve behavior with your puppy.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Someone told me to walk them together as a pack. Jesse, our 15 y/o hated Tayla (almost a year now) when we got her. Took months, but everyday we walked as a pack. First they started sniffing stuff together and so on. Too much age difference for them to be friends, but we have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have a not so good update. They had a fight over a toy just about 30 minutes ago. It lasted a lot longer and the usual "Eh! Eh!" did not work. I had to bang on the wall to make a loud noise and make them stop. I thought everything was fine but a while later I noticed that the new dog actually had a bite just 5 cm from her left eye and had a bit of blood!!!!

I dont know what to do. They seem fine now, walking together, drinking together from the water bowl. I put ALL the toys away, and have decided to put the new dog in the crate whenever unattended. I am just not sure I can take anymore risks, although we have left them alone a few times already since yesterday and when we went to bed last night (they both slept outside the bedroom door).

I'm really worried now. I just want to make sure that our current dog had never had any aggressive behavior. He got along with other dogs at daycare, and is typically the submissive one. I am very surprised that this is how things are going right now.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Do you know anything about the female's history with other dogs? She is setting pack order with her at the top and your dog is not going along with that. They will either have settled the issue or you will have repeated fights. If they are still not getting long after this, I would seriously consider not keeping her. Some dogs just don't get along, neither one at fault.

·
Registered
56 Posts
it takes about 2 weeks to 2 months for them to work it out on their own but if you are worried i would hire a trainer that deals with this issue. we got a puppy when our 9 year old was diagnosed with cancer, which turned out to be lyme disease. anyway the old girl bit the puppy hard enough to draw blood and got stern talking to with lots of bad girl what did you do. she started sobbing and then we forgave her and she fell in love with sammy from that day forth. they were snuggle buddies till death

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
We didn't let Jesse and Cheyenne alone together when we were gone for almost 2 years. After that point they had lived together in harmony for almost 12 years until Cheyenne passed in February. It takes some time to build trust between pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the advise so far. I have been watching them very closely. Although it seemed like the female was the aggressive one yesterday, I think today she is actually playing nice and it is Marshall who is trying to exert his dominance. I caught him a couple times where she would walk too close too him and if her face come very close he would act like snapping at her, or at least is a very threatening way. She is actually the one I notice try to give him kisses today. I will try and contact the breeder if we keep having issues. But when we went to see her with Marshall a couple weeks ago, she lives with her dad and at least 3 other dogs plus boarders. Not sure if this is an issue, but I though I mention it since people her are more knowledgeable than me, she just finished being in season 2 weeks ago (when we went to visit her). We are getting her spayed in 2 months.

In a way I feel like Marshall is guarding what he thinks is his territory, his toys and maybe us. Now I am almost positive all the fights started today was started by Marshall. I hope things will get better and time is all we need. One is current sleeping next to me and the other sleeping by my feet :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bringing home a new dog is very stressful to that dog as well as the resident dog. In the beginning you always want to remove anything that can be a source of conflict, toys, high value things like bones/chews and feed separately. They are still sorting out their relationship, once they are more comfortable with each other you can introduce things like toys and etc back into the mix. Also always separate them when not supervised in the beginning.
ASPCA | Introducing Your Dog to a New Dog

This a great article on how to introduce a new dog to a home with a current dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts