Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could a dog be allergic to garlic??

I have Chewie and Chloe itching to death, no there is no sign of flea's at all, the other two are just fine.

Chewie and Chloe however have little patches of red bumps on their belly's and little scabs all over their back end's.

I quit the garlic tonight just to see if it might be it, there is no other changes in their diet..could it be possibly be the garlic???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,755 Posts
Garlic is poisonous to dogs I think, Claudia. Call Poison control.

The substance present in garlic (and in much higher toxic doses in onions) is in such small amounts in garlic that it is not toxic to dogs. The product in question is marketed and sold specifically for dogs for flea and bug repellant, and garlic has been shown in studies to be an effective inhibitor of cancer growth cells.

http://jlhweb.net/Boxermap/onions.html

^ note the "note" at the bottom of the page

Claudia, I would take them off the BOG and see if the itchyness/etc goes away, definitely. Could be an allergic reaction, I suppose, although I would imagine they would have shown signs of allergy sooner than now. Let me know what happens!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The substance present in garlic (and in much higher toxic doses in onions) is in such small amounts in garlic that it is not toxic to dogs. The product in question is marketed and sold specifically for dogs for flea and bug repellant, and garlic has been shown in studies to be an effective inhibitor of cancer growth cells.

http://jlhweb.net/Boxermap/onions.html

^ note the "note" at the bottom of the page

Claudia, I would take them off the BOG and see if the itchyness/etc goes away, definitely. Could be an allergic reaction, I suppose, although I would imagine they would have shown signs of allergy sooner than now. Let me know what happens!!
Well it's been going on for a little while but thought it could of been the creek visit or a flea I found a few weeks back..but there is no sign of any bugs at all on any of them.

Anyhow I stopped the BOG tonight and will see if they stop itching!
 

·
Tess and Liza
Joined
·
6,075 Posts
What's a BOG? (I'm new to all this, so read about every thread, and find that all of you guys use a lot of abbreviations I don't get yet, sorry...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,252 Posts
I think BOG is Bug Off Garlic. I would stop it, it does sound like an allergic reaction. But if you were in the creek, I wonder if it was something in there. Have you bathed them to see if it might be that. Maybe an oatmeal shampoo will help or the Micro-tek shampoo.
 

·
Inactive
Joined
·
11,326 Posts
It could be an ingredient in the BOG other than garlic that they're sensitive to.

Thiosulphate is the compound in onions and garlic that can be dangerous to dogs. It causes anemia, but it's only found in tiny amounts in garlic. I don't give garlic to the dogs because even mild anemia can be a problem, and there wouldn't necessarily be clear symptoms, but garlic is generally thought to be safe. I doubt it's your culprit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,755 Posts
It could be an ingredient in the BOG other than garlic that they're sensitive to.

Thiosulphate is the compound in onions and garlic that can be dangerous to dogs. It causes anemia, but it's only found in tiny amounts in garlic. I don't give garlic to the dogs because even mild anemia can be a problem, and there wouldn't necessarily be clear symptoms, but garlic is generally thought to be safe. I doubt it's your culprit.

I believe in the BOG powder (not chewables) it is 100% pure air dried garlic with nothing added.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,612 Posts
Stopping the BOG shouldn't be a problem now should it? Isn't it pretty cold up your way? I'd try stopping it and see if they improve. Also an oatmeal bath would be soothing to those itchy bumps.

Copper has never had a problem with frontline before, but after I put it on a couple of weeks ago the areas I put in on flared up and looked awful - red and inflamed and infected almost.

The point of that Off post (or whatever the term is) is that he had never had a reaction before, so they could have developed a sensitivity to the BOG after you used it for a while (that's what my vet said about the frontline).
 

·
Missing Selka So Much
Joined
·
17,303 Posts
I would never give my dogs anything with the slightest amount of onion or garlic in it.
Everything I looked up said it is toxic to dogs. I would never risk it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think BOG is Bug Off Garlic. I would stop it, it does sound like an allergic reaction. But if you were in the creek, I wonder if it was something in there. Have you bathed them to see if it might be that. Maybe an oatmeal shampoo will help or the Micro-tek shampoo.
Yes they all had a bath after the creek, I was looking at different things today and the only other thing I can come up with is strep infection.

But why do two have it..it's not contagious to humans or animals.:doh:

As for now I stopped the Bug of Garlic still some itching but seems a little better, the spots are still there but drying up again!

We'll see how the next day or so goes, a vet visit might be in order!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talked to the vet today and they suggested putting them two on Benadryl for a few days.

So they both got 2 Benadryl, washed their belly really good with soap and water and then used Gold Bond.

So far no itching, of course they are sleeping right now.

The vet said they could just be allergic to flea bites and not even have fleas :doh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,612 Posts
Poor babies. Copper is on benedryl because he has an inflamed bug bite, but how can yours be having an allergic reaction to fleas if they don't have any?????? :doh:

If it is at a place they can't lick, you could try putting an antihistamine gel on it (benedryl or store brand). I use that in addition to benedryl when I get a bite since I am "overreactive" and it really helps.

Oh well, I hope they feel better with the meds. They should at least sleep well.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Poor babies. Copper is on benedryl because he has an inflamed bug bite, but how can yours be having an allergic reaction to fleas if they don't have any?????? :doh:

If it is at a place they can't lick, you could try putting an antihistamine gel on it (benedryl or store brand). I use that in addition to benedryl when I get a bite since I am "overreactive" and it really helps.

Oh well, I hope they feel better with the meds. They should at least sleep well.:)
The way I understood is they can get bit taking them on a walk and never have a flea on them after..seems kinda odd, but they said it was possible!

They are actually doing better today, the itching is controlled by the Benadryl and I'm using Gold Bond on their bellies and they look much better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,755 Posts
Dillon has never had fleas visible on his body, but has gotten the occasional flea bite while playing outside. He's got a serious flea bite allergy so even one bite, will make him totally itchy and skin gets all red and I suspect the hotspots he's gotten this summer have been from flea bites. I have never seen a live flea on him, and believe me, I've looked!!
 

·
My real name is Mercy
Joined
·
455 Posts
Aaah, Claudia I HOPE that's not it! The BOG sounded like such a great and less expensive preventative! I've had SO many people recommend it to me and they haven't had this issue. Besides, I think that it would unusual for ALL of your crew to become allergic all at the same time.

Besides, I'm expecting my order to arrive Friday, so I'm doubly hoping that's not it. :crossfing

Please keep us posted!

Well it's been going on for a little while but thought it could of been the creek visit or a flea I found a few weeks back..but there is no sign of any bugs at all on any of them.

Anyhow I stopped the BOG tonight and will see if they stop itching!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aaah, Claudia I HOPE that's not it! The BOG sounded like such a great and less expensive preventative! I've had SO many people recommend it to me and they haven't had this issue. Besides, I think that it would unusual for ALL of your crew to become allergic all at the same time.

Besides, I'm expecting my order to arrive Friday, so I'm doubly hoping that's not it. :crossfing

Please keep us posted!
I really don't think it's the BOG but did stop it for now, only two are itching not all four...lol

I did have Jack at the vet today for his heart worm test and he is flea free, hopefully it is just a allergy to something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aaah, Claudia I HOPE that's not it! The BOG sounded like such a great and less expensive preventative! I've had SO many people recommend it to me and they haven't had this issue. Besides, I think that it would unusual for ALL of your crew to become allergic all at the same time.

Besides, I'm expecting my order to arrive Friday, so I'm doubly hoping that's not it. :crossfing

Please keep us posted!
Well after 3 days of Benadryl and Gold Bond, they are fine, I started feeding the Garlic again and no sign of itching!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top