Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kahuna has been doing an AMAZING job with potty training! Especially since I've only had him 10 days and he's only 11 weeks old... I was doing dishes so I may have missed a sign by him, but this is what just happened: he relieved himself ON his dog bed! I have NEVER heard of a dog doing that when he spends so much time in there and there is lots of other room around the bed (not that I want him to, but in his bed???). Could something be wrong with him??? I'm not a novice owner but I'm flabbergasted as to why he would do that... He didn't look like he wanted to, judging by his face... I'm worried if this is a precursor to something... He had a vet check a few days ago and came back perfect minus a tiny heart murmur so I'm just kinda confused... Could he just not hold it long enough to get off his bed? The part I'm most confused about is WHY HIS BED lol... Please help! Thanks!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Kahuna is most likely fine. I have had a couple puppies had pee on their bed at least once. I read once that it is the feeling on their paws might feel the same as the bedding they had when they were being raised with their litter and their mother. These were beds that weren't in their crates, so they actually had to go out of their way to do it.

It will be interesting to hear what other people say.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting... Thanks for your reply! He's acting normal and actually just asked to go outside and had no problems "going" out there... I just found it so strange he did that on his bed when I have always believed that's against a dog's nature once removed from the litter..... Thanks again!

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
He probably just had to go and went potty wherever he happened to be. :)

My Jacks was thankfully EASY to housetrain, but the boys who came before him had very interesting accidents.

Danny would be playing with his big brother and laying on his back when he'd go all waterfall. >.<

Your pup is way too young to be marking, so it's not that.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Danny would be playing with his big brother and laying on his back when he'd go all waterfall. >.<
Oh that is so funny! Their bladders are so small then - I guess why not.

·
luverofpeanuts
154 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about potty accidents at this young age... it's pretty much go when the thought hits 'em. Of our two siblings, big boy Spirit had little accidents once in a while even up to 6 months (probably more our fault then, than his fault... he was playing inside and I missed the signs). He went on one of the beds now and then, or on our bed now and then.

I don't discount that he smelled cat urine a few places and had a triggered response too.

Aspen, was a dream as far as potty training goes. The little princess likes to go in the same general area in the yard all the time, and has kind of done that since she mastered potty training.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wouldn't worry...

Of course I know that is easier to say than do! Our first golden, Jake, used to have accidents in his crate all the time, even when he was in there for less than an hour. I was baffled since he was completely housetrained otherwise. When he turned 1 he started to sleep with us at night and once he was 2 he was so trustworthy that we never needed to kennel him when left him alone, and he never had accidents in the house.

So we never figured out why the kennel, but in the end it didn't really matter either. He was the sweetest, smartest and most loyal dog we could have ever asked for all of the 12 1/2 years he was with us.

Now we have sweet little Lucy and she has never had an accident in the kennel- it's like having a second child, you think you already know everything only to find out no two kids are the same :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Beds, rugs, clothing left on the floor etc. etc. offer good traction. Little puppy feet stay where they are put instead of sliding out from underneath!

There is very little time between: "uh-oh my bladder is full" to "I have to go NOW!"

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Tucker has done that a couple times. It just means that he's not completely potty trained. Tucker has had a couple accidents when he just got so excited he zoomed around and ended up in the wrong place but did it anyway. They are works in progress!

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
That was one of the only places Koda had her few accidents. Ours was filled with woodchips and was scented so we attributed it to that but maybe it is a bed thing...

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Our little boy would do this sometimes, anywhere! You can see him playing, urge hits and his little mind is saying "Go Outside" but his little bladder just can't. Just clean it up, use something to nutralize the smell and forget it! He is just a tiny babe and will be months before he actually gets the mind circuits working to tell him to always go outside. Accidents will happen, just continue his potty training and very soon he will start being much more reliable.

Aren't pups fun??!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts