Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested to hear if anyone has experience using Deslorelin or Cabergoline to induce estrus. What was your litter size? Did you notice any side effects?

I have one dam (Dam A) that cycles every 9 to 10 months. I just found out that one of my breedings with a second dam (Dam B) failed and so she would be cycling at the same time as the first. I'm under pressure from my Guardian to retire Dam B ASAP (my Guardian doesn't want to be a Guardian anymore) and so I'm considering inducing one or the other dog early so that I don't have two litters at once.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
This is one of the pitfalls (among many- more than there are benefits) to the whole 'guardian' thing.
It's wrong from so many directions, and only really right for the breeder.

Inducing. Yes, I have seen it done w (not sure what name) a little white suppository inserted into the vulva w a scapel. Then removed 2 weeks later. Bloody messes both times and I am sure trauma filled for the bitch. She came in season I want to say two weeks later. My job in this endeavor was helping to hold the bitch and I honestly would never do it again- it was obviously painful to her and just to scramble her season up to suit a human doesn't seem ethical.
I hope your bitch has all her clearances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are talking about deslorelin or ovuplant. That does seem a bit much, why can't it be a flexible ring like the birth control for humans, I wonder. My veterinarian was recommending the oral medication, cabergoline but I am not sure of its effectiveness.

Yes, all of my breeding dogs are health tested.

I had a very detailed breeding plan and I am trying to stick to it as best as I can. I have a small breeding program and I breed from home so I don't really have the space to have two litters at once, like some kennels do. My Guardian program is working out great, with the exception of the one I mentioned.

Rather than judging me, I am looking for advice. I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of using what available technology there is. I don't know why the dog breeding world is so filled with judgement.

·
Premium Member
18,268 Posts
If this breeding had taken, would you have bred her again on the next cycle? If not, then take this as the sign to just continue with your existing agreement and retire the dam now as planned.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I forgot to mention the results- so the bitch had I think 2-3 puppies. It was a very small litter.

Judging- I guess to me, I wonder about the 'goals' for this sort of program that are goals outside of money making. Real goals to me says the breeder is very involved in the breed.
If someone who breeds has real goals (not just money) and is working on the next big CH UDX MH or such, I could get it. I just can't get it for making pets. That assumes a lot about you, and other guardian method breeders. I could absolutely be wrong, and hope I am.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for your input. So, it sounds like estrus induction isn't really something that is an option.

This is my first failed breeding. I am facing the fact that I won't have any revenue for this year, especially after all the expenses of the TCI and sperm collection and banking. I am reconciling the loss of income with the health of the dam and my relationship with her Guardian, sorry if it doesn't look pretty.

Yes, this is a business for me but I do have goals in my breeding program. The priority of not going bankrupt/making a small income and good breeding can coexist and should not be maligned. I am breeding for health, temperament and conformation to breed standard - in that order. I do think there needs to be Golden Retriever breeders who aren't breeding for the show ring or for hunting/obedience etc. but are breeding for families and therapy work. That's what I'm doing.

mylissyk: I was hoping for three breedings but would have settled for two, especially given how much my Guardian wants out. I am not okay with having had only one litter. The parents were such great dogs and I think the world is better off with more than seven of their puppies out there.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,569 Posts
trying to tamper with nature has historically not worked out well for those making the attempt. I would not recommend trying it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts