Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm caving. So my little girl is 11 weeks old and we're having diarrhea issues.. again. I got her at 7 weeks and a few days after i got her she started having diarrhea which i think was just due to the transition and i was also transitioning her food. (Her breeder was feeding the pups Hills Healthy Advantage Large Breed Puppy and I transitioned her into a Hills Science Diet Large Breed Puppy Lamb meal and rice). I took her to the vet cause it had lasted for over 24 hours and she tested negative for everything, so they put her on Royal Canine Vet diet GI canned food, Advita canine probiotic powder, and Metronidazole for 5 days and gave her 4th round of dewormer. The diarrhea cleared right up and her poop has been great the last 3 weeks. Then all the sudden when I took her out to potty in the AM two mornings ago she had diarrhea. After dinner her poop was normal again. That night she woke up at 3am and cried to go outside (she usually sleeps through the night) and had diarrhea again. The next morning it was soft stool that finished with diarrhea but after dinner it was hard/normal again. However, last night she was up 4 times with diarrhea, yet it was hard/normal that day.

Any ideas? Has anyone experienced this normal poop during the day then diarrhea at night, randomly?

I called my vet and i'm taking her back in on Monday, but I'm hoping nothing is wrong with her. She's eating as happily and as excited as always and I think her energy level is what it usually is but she seems a little more tired (FYI i'm a worry wort and over analyze everything)

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
A few months ago Luna was recently prescribed Metronidazole when we took her in for a fever & diarrhea (not our regular vet but the one taking the weekend shift). It is mainly to kill any bacteria in her system but I found that when I stopped giving it to her before the end of the prescribed time, her diarrhea cleared up. I told my regular vet at a follow up & he was fine with the fact that I stopped giving it to her.

Perhaps your pup is having the same problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few months ago Luna was recently prescribed Metronidazole when we took her in for a fever & diarrhea (not our regular vet but the one taking the weekend shift). It is mainly to kill any bacteria in her system but I found that when I stopped giving it to her before the end of the prescribed time, her diarrhea cleared up. I told my regular vet at a follow up & he was fine with the fact that I stopped giving it to her.

Perhaps your pup is having the same problem.
Thanks for the reply!! She finished the Metronidazole about 3 weeks ago and the diarrhea is back as of 2 days ago. I only gave it to her for 5 days (per the directions) however there was more in the bottle, but i threw it away cause here stool was back to normal. My eyes are on her constantly so i'm really hoping it isn't Giardia or coccidia, but after searching this form for hours i'm starting to think it could be. She hasn't thrown up at all or anything and I believe her energy is like it always is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your girl is adorable/

Are you giving her any treats? If you are, what are they made of. Have you given her a bully stick or pigs ear? They usually don't agree with pups.
Thank you!! She's a riot haha. Only "treats" i've given her is her food. She loves it and has learned very quickly just using her puppy food. Other than that, she's had the occasional peanut butter (jiffs natural pb) in the kong and I tested carrots and celery with her because it gave her something different to chew one. She never ate the celery, just chewed it into shreds, but did eat the carrots. All was fine after that but the second time she had a carrot (a week later) the diarrhea started that next morning and i saw small pieces of the carrot in it. However, her stools were firm the rest of the day, but returned to diarrhea that night. Followed by firm stools the second day then diarrhea again last night. I put some pumpkin in her dinner tonight so hopefully that helps, but I don't wanna be masking a problem if it's something more serious than puppy tummy! Especially cause she's had no issues the last 3 weeks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: put pumpkin in her dinner last night, her stools after were loose. She woke up around 3:30am crying to go outside, had very loose stools. Cried to go out again at 6am and had very mucousy diarrhea. Ate breakfast at 7am, cried to go out again and had very mucousy loose stool again. She's still full of energy and being her sassy self this morning.
Is it okay that my vet apt isn't until Monday?

·
Waggy Tails
110 Posts
I had this same problem. Twice it was things he had eaten (a small bandage and a piece of nylabone). Still had the problem of loose stools and some diarrhea, but it would clear up fairly quickly. I had taken him to the vet to make sure there were no parasites. I am wondering if it could have been the blood from teething? The last time there was a lot of blood, but he has all his big boy teeth in at 5 months. My other golden's leg had blood all over it from playing with the teething puppy and so did his crate pad when he was chewing a bone. All seems to be well now...as long as he doesn't eat anything crazy again. I thought I was being diligent about that, but he is stealth and finds anything you drop on the floor. Just keeping them safe through this stage can be a challenge!

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
UPDATE: put pumpkin in her dinner last night, her stools after were loose. She woke up around 3:30am crying to go outside, had very loose stools. Cried to go out again at 6am and had very mucousy diarrhea. Ate breakfast at 7am, cried to go out again and had very mucousy loose stool again. She's still full of energy and being her sassy self this morning.
Is it okay that my vet apt isn't until Monday?
Diarrhea in puppies is probably the most common reason for vet visits and usually could be managed without prescriptions. In full fairness I just had to take my 3 y.o. male (Duffy) to the vet yesterday after two full days of vomiting and diarrhea. We had just gone through a course of treatment for our senior female rescue (Zoe), and are still unsure of what the cause was for either. For me, the deciding factor was when Duffy refused to eat and even turned away from favorite snacks. Also, in both cases the diarrhea was striking almost once an hour.

Here is a link to what I consider excellent vet advice on the subject: Vet Advice: Treating Your Dog's Diarrhea | The Bark

I hope your girl is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Diarrhea in puppies is probably the most common reason for vet visits and usually could be managed without prescriptions. In full fairness I just had to take my 3 y.o. male (Duffy) to the vet yesterday after two full days of vomiting and diarrhea. We had just gone through a course of treatment for our senior female rescue (Zoe), and are still unsure of what the cause was for either. For me, the deciding factor was when Duffy refused to eat and even turned away from favorite snacks. Also, in both cases the diarrhea was striking almost once an hour.

Here is a link to what I consider excellent vet advice on the subject: Vet Advice: Treating Your Dog's Diarrhea | The Bark

I hope your girl is feeling better soon.
Thank you for replying! She just had it again so that's now 4 poops/diarrhea in 5 hours. No vomiting, eating eagerly, doesn't seem lethargic, and drinking water as normal. I'll take a look at the link. Thanks again!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went through the same with my girl and I have talked to a couple of others who also went through the same. We went to the vet 3-4 times, changed food, added medicine, many stool samples that came back negative etc. It all cleared up by 6 months. I wonder if like babies their systems sometimes are just immature? She would have constant liquid diarrhea at night and would go many times. She always ate eagerly, wasn't lethargic and drank normal too. I don't know if it was her age, or the switch to royal canin special intestinal formula that worked finally. Now at just about 10 months she has switched off the special food and completely fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went through the same with my girl and I have talked to a couple of others who also went through the same. We went to the vet 3-4 times, changed food, added medicine, many stool samples that came back negative etc. It all cleared up by 6 months. I wonder if like babies their systems sometimes are just immature? She would have constant liquid diarrhea at night and would go many times. She always ate eagerly, wasn't lethargic and drank normal too. I don't know if it was her age, or the switch to royal canin special intestinal formula that worked finally. Now at just about 10 months she has switched off the special food and completely fine.
That's great to hear! Did you do rice and chicken at all? I'm not a huge fan of the royal canine ingredients, which is why i have her on science diet large breed puppy but maybe her puppy tummy can't handle it. Just weird how it cleared up for 3 weeks then came back

·
Registered
1 Posts
Puppy poopoo

Macklea,
We went thru the same issues you are having. It is puppy teething. We had Ollie on three rounds of Metrodianizole. It was a miracle pill. He was on it until six months old. After teething the diarrhea cleared up and he has not had it again. Our Vet had him on half a tab, twice a day, for ten days, then half a tab for ten days, then half a tab every other day for ten days. That got him thru his last month of teething. We had every test run on him, IV fluids, blood work to check for Addison's disease, probiotics, chicken and rice..., nothing worked but the Metrodianizole. Ollie is 7.5 months now, we did keep him on the probiotic since Goldens tend to have sensitive stomachs, but he has not had a loose stool in almost two months.

·
RobinM
93 Posts
Macklea,
We went thru the same issues you are having. It is puppy teething. We had Ollie on three rounds of Metrodianizole. It was a miracle pill. He was on it until six months old.
This the antibiotic given to people who have giardia. How was it helpful to a puppy teething?

The possible side effects are scary for people, I can't imagine having a puppy on it for months. Do they metabolize it differently?

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's great to hear! Did you do rice and chicken at all? I'm not a huge fan of the royal canine ingredients, which is why i have her on science diet large breed puppy but maybe her puppy tummy can't handle it. Just weird how it cleared up for 3 weeks then came back
This is exactly what would happen with Holly. I also would add some rice and chicken on top. I wasn't a fan too of the ingredients but it worked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your journey with you new little girl sounds so familiar to me. We went through the same thing with our golden girl a year ago. After trying everything we put her on a diet of Acana Lamb and Apple. It is the ONLY thing she gets to eat. Anything else and the loose runny stools are back again. We also found that she was rooting around in the woods for mushrooms and eating them - they also contribute to the problem. Good luck. You will find the right formula for your dog. Elisa

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I have gone through this with two different puppies: 1) it happened after she ate a stick of butter Christmas Eve, started in the middle of that night until February! Multiple trips to the vet, medication, it would clear up and come back. No parasites. Changed the food to Hill's I/D for 5 days, it cleared up within 12 hours, and that was enough time for her intestines to heal

2) Puppy started about 10 weeks, on same food as breeder. No parasites. Was pooping four times in the middle of the night, probably 12 times total a day. Vet thought maybe it was related to puppy vaccine series. Waited it through. Changed food cold turkey after about a month of this, and she went to pooping once after every meal within 12 hours.

Sometimes we might not like a food, but we have to find one that works best for our dogs. Right now there is a big study going on just started this summer that many of the 5 star grain free foods that people are paying a lot of money for are causing dilated cardiomyopathy in golden retrievers, especially the ones with peas. The safe foods right now are the Eukanuba, Purina Pro Plan and Royal Canin. Everything I have researched and learned about food for the past 10 years has totally gone out the window with this new problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I have gone through this with two different puppies: 1) it happened after she ate a stick of butter Christmas Eve, started in the middle of that night until February! Multiple trips to the vet, medication, it would clear up and come back. No parasites. Changed the food to Hill's I/D for 5 days, it cleared up within 12 hours, and that was enough time for her intestines to heal

2) Puppy started about 10 weeks, on same food as breeder. No parasites. Was pooping four times in the middle of the night, probably 12 times total a day. Vet thought maybe it was related to puppy vaccine series. Waited it through. Changed food cold turkey after about a month of this, and she went to pooping once after every meal within 12 hours.

Sometimes we might not like a food, but we have to find one that works best for our dogs. Right now there is a big study going on just started this summer that many of the 5 star grain free foods that people are paying a lot of money for are causing dilated cardiomyopathy in golden retrievers, especially the ones with peas. The safe foods right now are the Eukanuba, Purina Pro Plan and Royal Canin. Everything I have researched and learned about food for the past 10 years has totally gone out the window with this new problem.

Wow that's crazy. Even though some brands like Royal Canin, purina pro plan, and eukanuba have byproducts used in it? Before I got her i spent endless hours researching dog food cause I wanted to get the best one in my price range and everything I read always said byproducts were a red flag. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: I've been putting pumpkin in her food the last 2 1/2 days and her poops are back to normal! I decided to wait until her third round of vaccine appointment this coming Sunday to talk to the vet again about the diarrhea. Is this okay?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts