Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted last night that Harvey ( 8 mnths) had to get sutures in his paw and of course now his paw is all bandaged up to stay dry. They gave me an IV bag to put over it when we go outside but I don't really feel all that safe doing it ( b/c the snow is so high). I shoveled off part of the back patio and part of the grass so Harvey has a place to stand without too much snow but when I take him out (he's only allowed outside ona leash for 2 weeks), he refuses to do anything but sit there or jump up and try to get the leash b/c he wants to run around like he normally does).

Honestly, at this point- I don't even care if he goes to the bathroom in the house but he's not doing that either! I guess he finally peed on a towel so that was good but he still hasn't pooped (been home since 5pm last night!).

So, it's kind of a weird/difficult situation but any advice?? I tried to keep him in the downstairs bathroom last night with a blanket on the floor and a pee pad in the corner but that didn't work and it's horrible timing b/c my dad (who we live with) is getting ready to have spinal surgery and is in a ton of pain so if he can get sleep, I don't want Harvey waking him up.

Boy, what a weekend!!

Also- any suggestions on how to keep his bandage dry- I put a long newspaper sleeve under his IV bag they sent home but I feel like snow is still getting in. I'm going in for a bandage change tomorrow morning so I am keeping my fingers crossed that they have some advice for me.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
You've got to keep the stitches clean and dry - the IV bag should work well...Alternatively there are roll on latex booties (they look like condoms) that would also work - much lighter and less bulky - depends on how big the suture bandage is...
http://pawzdogboots.com/

Talk to your vet but also a possibility - liquid bandage over the stitches should help keep infection/water out...

Other bulkier options: diapers and vet wrap or a bigger dog boot....

Erica

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Paw injuries are a tough one. I think you may just have to keep trying different ideas to keep it dry. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I would think the IV bag with some vet wrap at the top to hold it on would work pretty well. The vet wrap is clingy but easy to remove. You could even vet wrap around the bag some to help it stay on. Just don't leave it on inside. (IV bag)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The IV bag actually does work pretty well- Harvey just keeps pulling for the high snow and I'm scared of snow falling in but I think I can manage for now. The poor little guy is going to go crazy without exercise for 2-3 weeks but that's just how it is. He did poop, it was in the house but I'm glad he went. Luckily, I'm going in for a checkup and bandage change tomorrow so I can ask their advice too. Oh and I found a store near me that sells the latex booties mentioned. Thanks!!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I hope he feels better soon!! That has to be so hard on you both. I know you're happy he went at all and even pee however, make sure you half heartedly let him know it was not okay to go potty in the house or you may have a problem with that in the future.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Harvey and I are doing much better. I looked up the pawzdogboot site and found my closest store and once I got there, that boot wasn't a perfect match but I found one that was!! I don't know the name but I think it was Wellies. It covers his whole leg so I don't have to worry about him getting too deep in snow. I still have to walk him out on a leash but I can take a long leash and give him a little more room to walk around. Since I got it, he's been going to the bathroom outside again with no problem (well except me freezing! heh). He's been a real sport about the bandage and putting up having to wear the boot to go outside. I love my pup! Don't love the bills that come with him but he is worth it :)

Just wanted to give an update and say thanks for the help!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts