Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we went to visit the breeder yesterday, and the two puppies she had left were the 'shy' ones of the litter. they weren't afraid of us or anything, they just didnt run up to us right away like the rest of them did. once the others were put into a separate room, the puppies started running around and playing with us just like any other puppy. can a shyer puppy like these two have temperamental issues in the future, or will they be like any other goldie??

·
Kristy
10,247 Posts
I don't know have enough experience to answer this question... I'll be interested to see what everyone has to say. What did the breeder say? Did he or she ask about what your home life is like in an attempt to make sure your puppy is well-suited to your home?

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
What was the set up like at the breeder's? Try to find out if the pups have met children and a few strangers, played with interesting toys, and been handled tons by the breeder, at the bare minimum. A shier pup needs even more socialization in the first 12 weeks than others. The pup should meet 100 people, walk on 12-15 different surfaces, meet a kitty, see a wheel chair, a big hat, an umbrella etc. With a pup that's temperamentally shy, you'll need to really get her having lotss of excellent experiences every single day.

·
Registered
774 Posts
A question about socialization: my pup's breeder had four young kids and the puppies were born in a small alcove right off their dining room/kitchen. The kids handled the pups all the time and they grew up right in the middle of their bustling home. So Duffy has had a good start in that regard. My vet complimented his temperament and said he will be a good, gentle dog.

Here's my question -- I'm anxious to continue his socialization, but since he hasn't had all of his shots yet, I've been limiting his outside exposure. We take him for walks and allow people and kids to approach him and pet him. But I haven't taken him to areas with a lot of other dogs and haven't done puppy class.

I am confused with this issue -- isn't it true they should be somewhat sheltered until fully vaccinated? If so, what about the socialization that I constantly read about being so important in the puppy days?

Kris

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think you could call our puppy a bit on the shy side. Although, I don't know if shy is the correct word...I'd call her gentle, mellow and wonderful. She's not scared of people or dogs...she'll go right up to anyone, but she does it in more of a cautious manner...scooting on her belly, tail wagging the whole time. We've taken her to puppy kindergarten and she has had lots of exposure to other people, kids, dogs, etc. We take her with us everywhere we go...from sports practice, to the kids' schools, to the pet store, etc. Everyone comments on how sweet she is, and our neighbors call her the "perfect dog." In my experience with a dog labeled shy, it's not a bad thing at all. Interestingly, our puppy was one of the last two to be claimed, also! But, if you've met the puppies and you have hesitation, then maybe neither one is the best dog for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My Cooper was the shy one of the litter. With enough socialization he/she will come out of it. You would never know that Coop was ever shy or timid. We have him in agility and he runs the course like a mad man (no fear).

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
From what you describe I would not say they are "shy" but not real high on the pack order list. If I understand it correct, these two pups were more outgoing when the others were not present. It is nothing I would be concerned about personally.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all of your responses:) the breeder has had several families, many with children, meet the puppies so it's not something they aren't used to. i think she handles them a lot, they are in her office, which looks like she spends a good amount of her time in. the puppies do not seem scared or timid or act like they might attack, which is why i'm not too concerned about it, i just wanted to get more input on it and see what other people thought

·
A.k.a. Jennifer.
230 Posts
Jupiter was one of the "shy" puppies. He was one of the last ones to approach humans, and when he did approach he would kind of slink over to you and then immediately roll over and show his belly to you. He was probably the most submissive pup in the litter, and his littermates used to beat the crap out of him. He is an awesome dog. I worked hard on socializing him when he was young, taking him to puppy classes every week, exposing him to the sights and sounds of Portland, Maine. The puppy classes helped him to come out of his shell and find his "dominant" side. You would never know how shy he was in the beginning because he is very social now.

I found it really easy to train Jupiter because he was so submissive that he automatically accepted me as the alpha. I'm not sure I would have had such an easy time with a more dominant dog. In fact, some of the people who adopted Jupiter's more dominant littermates have reported training problems and/or behaviors that I have not had to deal with, and I am convinced that it is because Jupiter submits more easily than many of his littermates.

I say go for it! Adopt the shy dog.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jupiter was one of the "shy" puppies. He was one of the last ones to approach humans, and when he did approach he would kind of slink over to you and then immediately roll over and show his belly to you. He was probably the most submissive pup in the litter, and his littermates used to beat the crap out of him. He is an awesome dog. I worked hard on socializing him when he was young, taking him to puppy classes every week, exposing him to the sights and sounds of Portland, Maine. The puppy classes helped him to come out of his shell and find his "dominant" side. You would never know how shy he was in the beginning because he is very social now.

I found it really easy to train Jupiter because he was so submissive that he automatically accepted me as the alpha. I'm not sure I would have had such an easy time with a more dominant dog. In fact, some of the people who adopted Jupiter's more dominant littermates have reported training problems and/or behaviors that I have not had to deal with, and I am convinced that it is because Jupiter submits more easily than many of his littermates.

I say go for it! Adopt the shy dog.

thanks this actually makes me feel a lot better about adopting one of them (i'm still not sure if i want the male or female). that's awesome about training, i was planning on taking him or her to puppy classes anyway, and it'll be great having a dog that's a little easier to train, and i'm sure it'll make my mom feel a lot better about having a large dog in the house, because she's still a little nervous about how big they get.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When i went to pick out my puppy, i sat down on the lawn and was "attacked" by 8 golden cuties!!! I noticed one of the pups did not seem to be all the interested in me and i thought it was strange. Well, once the pups had their fill of me and began playing with each other again, that one "shy" puppy came over to me, sat in my lap, licked my toes, etc. I knew at once that was the puppy for me. Funny, because i was searching for a female, and the one that i picked (well, i suppose the puppy picked me...) happened to be a male. I worried that he might not be all that comfortable around other dogs as he grew up, given his disposition when i picked him out. But, it's just the opposite!! Zep LOVES everything!!! He's a dog's dog for sure.

I guess the moral of the story is...just because the pup seems "shy" that does not mean that he/she will not make an excellent new family member! Like Hank said one post prior...that pup may not have been very high in the "pack" hence it's not as outgoing until away from the other pups and allowed to discover it's self more. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts