Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 3.5 year old female golden retriever, Gracie.
On March 10 she had her first grand mal seizure. It was absolutely terrifying, I thought she was dying.
I got her to the vet where she stayed all day. All her tests came back within normal ranges and I was told it was probably a one off.
A month later, April 12 I witnessed another one. This time, she also lost bladder control and then afterward pooed in the hallway. I noticed in between the first and second there was a large pee stain on the spare bed which makes me wonder if she maybe had one when I was out of the house (no further evidence to back this up).
On Monday I came home from work to find a large poo in the living room. I noticed the hair on her back legs and tail looked like they may have been wet so I smelt them and they absolutely reeked of urine (although I could find no wet spot anywhere in the house). She also appeared to have what looked like dried spit around her chin. I'm 80% sure she had a seizure when I was at work.
I called the vet who want to see her back in tomorrow morning. The want to rule out a brain lesion but appear to be sure it is idiopathic epilepsy.

I don't really want to put her on medication if I can avoid it. I can't really afford an MRI scan either (£1500) but ill find the money if I have to.

I've recently installed some cameras to watch her when I am out in case she has another seizure so I cant be sure what is happening.

I'm wondering if anyone can offer experience with a dog of the same or similar age (she will be 4 in August) as I can only really find information and experiences about older dogs.

I am trying not to get too worried, but I am.

Thank you

·
Puddles
4,024 Posts
I had a rescue chihuahua that had them, it's heartbreaking... all you can do is wait for it to be over. They put her on medication, phenobarbital that actually worked well for her. This is one of the 4 unadoptable dogs I kept. She died peacefully at about 8 yrs old.
I hope they can get the medications for your pup and stabilize her condition. Without medication the seizures will begin to happen more often. It's a short circuit in her neurological system and no one could ever explain why she had them.

·
Premium Member
18,300 Posts
You absolutely have to put her on medication to control the seizures. She has had too many to not treat. They can kill her if they are not controlled. This is not a condition you can avoid medicating. Medication is the only thing that will help control the seizures.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments. The vet is still holding off on medication just now so I guess its just keeping a very close eye on her :(

·
Registered
213 Posts
My Gatsby had his first seizure just 2 months short of his 4th birthday. Now he is almost 5 and a half. As of now he is not on any medication. The first seizure as well as the next couple of them were severe. I thought I was losing him during the first seizure as it occurred during the night and by the time we realized what was going on he had been seizing for about an hour, but we thought our dogs were playing in a dark (they never do). When we finally got up, he was all stiff, on his back, not responsive.
I went to the neurologist and after the neurological assessment (checking the eye movement, balance and coordination) he said it is very unlikely Gatsby has a tumor and they diagnosed him with idiopathic epilepsy. The neurologist didn’t think MRI was necessary, but I insisted on it. The MRI didn’t reveal any brain abnormalities. The neurologist recommended some medication which I declined. However I told him if I don’t see any improvement in severity/trend in seizures, I will pick up the pills.
So far, year and half since the first seizure and it has been quite a journey for us. Definitely the severity of his seizures decreased dramatically. During his episodes, Gatsby doesn’t lose conscience, he is still wagging his tail and he is responsive except his limbs are stiff (no loss of bowel movement, he doesn’t pee, he did initially though).
It is as if something is wearing off, Bravecto/heartgard (just today I read an article regarding massive seizures after taking bravecto)???. This was always my main suspect. The day I gave him bravecto for the first time he had a massive seizure. For a while Gatsby seizures were exactly 4 weeks apart always on Saturdays. It coincided with a full moon my friends observed, but I don’t buy to this theory. For some time I thought it was daily products (yogurt, kefir and cheese), but this is not the case either I believe.
The seizure medication is harsh on liver and kidneys. I am sure you will make a right decision and put Gracie on medication if necessary, but please also examine any contributing factors to Gracie’s seizures, new preventives, new cleaning detergents, sprayers or lawn treatments.
I contacted Gatsby breeder and they say they haven’t heard of any seizures in their dogs.
I wish Gracie a life free of further seizures as I know how terrifying they are.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for your post. I also contacted the breeder and there is no history of seizures that she knows of in either of Gracie's parents.
It is good to know that they can get better, not just worse, without medication.
Gracie' first seizure happened right after her walk and before her breakfast, the second one on waking up in the afternoon. Nothing has changed in the house , and she's always by my side so I know whether or not she's in to something she shouldn't be. I have a log on my phone to keep track and now I'm aware of what is happening I am keeping a very close eye on her so hopefully will be able to spot any changes or signs before anything else happens

·
Project Redhead
762 Posts
You might do some research on CBD oil. I don’t personally know much in the way of details but it has shown some impressive effectiveness in seizure control.
Also limiting flea and tic meds and even vaccinations. Again do some research.
My Malamute has seizures starting at about 4. His were very sporadic when he was younger. They increased slowly as he got older. He was never on any meds for it. He was just a couple months shy of 13 when one finally took him.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, poor gracie had another seizure on Wednesday afternoon, so last night we started her on pexion. she's trialling it for 2 weeks so lets see if this makes any difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts