Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

After months of research and dead ends, I think we finally have a breeder selected that will hopefully have a female puppy for us by the end of the year. She has been an excellent communicator and in other posts in this forum she is regarded as a quality breeder. She sent me the OFA pages for the dam and sire. Everything looks "normal" or better for both parents, but each has a note attached. Will you please offer your opinions?

The dam has a note for the eyes about Distichiasis. It sounds like this means she has a double row of eyelashes and isn't harmful nor will it necessarily get passed on to offspring.
https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1805663

The sire has two notes, one about an uveal cyst from a 2018 test and another says "E1:Cataract - Suspect Not Inherited" from a 2020 test.
https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1496553

I tend to think both are okay since they both passed the exams with "normal" results, but want to proceed with caution.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Mike

·
Kate
21,360 Posts
So....

Mom = the concern is not so much that she had distichiasis, which is pretty common and comes and goes. Sometimes dogs who have normal eyes with no breeder options listed, may simply not have had those extra little hairs at the time of the test. The concern is the fact that the last eye test listed was 2 years ago.

If the breeder is getting the eyes checked every year, they should have had a clearance for 2019 at least. I would request a copy of that.

Dad - has a cyst and cataracts listed, however - interesting thing to note on those.

Cyst showed up in 2019.
2020 - no mention of that cyst, but instead a cataract is listed.

Based on his age as of 2020, I'm not concerned about that cataract - as he was 9.5 years old at the time of the exam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So....

Mom = the concern is not so much that she had distichiasis, which is pretty common and comes and goes. Sometimes dogs who have normal eyes with no breeder options listed, may simply not have had those extra little hairs at the time of the test. The concern is the fact that the last eye test listed was 2 years ago.

If the breeder is getting the eyes checked every year, they should have had a clearance for 2019 at least. I would request a copy of that.

Dad - has a cyst and cataracts listed, however - interesting thing to note on those.

Cyst showed up in 2019.
2020 - no mention of that cyst, but instead a cataract is listed.

Based on his age as of 2020, I'm not concerned about that cataract - as he was 9.5 years old at the time of the exam.

Thank you for your help, it's very-much appreciated.

I will ask about the missing eye test from 2020 for the dam if/when it looks like I'll be able to get a female from the litter.

As far as the cyst goes with the sire, do you know if those types of cysts go away on their own, like a subconjunctival hemorrhage in a human?

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
sometimes they do go away. I dk why, but they do.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Rukie's mom had a uveal cyst and it went away by the next year and the breeder said the same thing with mom's mom.

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
They do go away. One of the ophthalmologists who has done Shala's eye exams through the years told me they do. Shala's have not. The little diagram the ophthalmologist draws each time looks exactly like the year's before. A uveal cyst can be a precursor to PU, but is not always. I might hesitate to get a dog from a dam and a sire both with uveal cysts. I probably would buy a pup if one of the parents had them and was checked every year and it was otherwise an amazing pairing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts