Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a beautiful adult English style golden. He's a 4 year old neutered male. I brought him home from the airport Friday night. It's now Sunday night.

Since he got here, he's done almost nothing but lay on the floor in the house and sleep. He's got to be encouraged or leashed to go outside (or even to stand up at times). I realize there will be an adjustment period but don't know how long to expect. Right now he seems a bit depressed.

He has also really attached himself to me and whimpers if I leave the room or the house. I have had a dog before that had severe separation anxiety, and I really, really, really want to do everything I can to avoid that problem.

Thanks to all for any advice you can give on acclimating our new golden to the household.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please make yourself at home here and be sure to post some pictures of your dog.

I would guess that your dog is pretty stressed at the moment. It will probably take a week or more before he comes out of his shell.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Could you let us know some of his history, is he used to living inside? Was he from a busy household? With children? Is he possibly missing a previous owner? I imagine just the move alone will have him out of sorts. He may also just be very laid back!

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
I would guess this is a big adjustment for him, in a few days he should start to come out of his shell.

We love pictures! And would love to know what his story is.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
He sounds very stressed right now. I can imagine a plane ride can be very stressful to a golden. I also would like to know his history.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Welcome! I think a vet check might be in order. Has he been eating and drinking well?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input so far. Here's his story: He's a retired stud dog from a breeder in Kansas. He's actually from Russia and was shipped in as a puppy by this breeder. He's lived in her house since then as an inside/outside dog with free access to both via a doggie door. His household consisted of his owner and 3-4 other inside dogs. Sounds like he pretty much had it made there. I took delivery last Fri. Last Wed, he went to the vet in Kansas and got vetted, checked and neutered. He stayed there until going to the airport on Friday for his flight from there to here, which included a layover. So, no doubt he's had a rough few days.

I've got 2 small kids, ages 2 and 4, and no other dogs, so this is a pretty big change for him for sure. He is eating and drinking well and seems to really enjoy walks. I imagine it will just take him some time. My primary concern is doing what I can to avoid separation anxiety. I think I'm going to take him to doggy day care during the day this week so he gets some time with other dogs.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Im sure he is just adjusting to his new home....I sure would like to see some pictures!! :)

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Just my thought, but I would suggest waiting on doggy daycare for another week or two. I know you have dealt with SA in the past, but this guy has just been neutered and flown to you and has to be very stressed by all he has gone through. I personally would give him a bit of time to settle in before introducing another new thing to him.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I have no advice but would like to offer my congratulation on your new guy.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Thank you for adopting this Golden boy.
When I first brought my adopted boy home you would never know there was a dog in the house because he slept so much and he clung to me. I'd give him a few more days to get used to things with lots of love and cuddles in there. Do you think he is missing other dogs? He's been through a lot. Hopefully, a couple of short breaks away from you everyday will help him with the separation anxiety.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I, too, would let him settle in and start to feel at home before sending to doggy daycare. He needs to know that where he is is his forever home, that you are his family. Then he can reach out to the bigger world. Lots of TLC and perhaps a crate which can be his safe spot or den would help him settle in. Also, with all the stress and flux of the last few days, it's not unusual for them to sleep alot.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
A Russian golden? I've lived and worked in Russia and never saw a golden. As others have said, just give him some time to acclimate to his new family and home. Let him take things at his own pace for a few days. Dogs are remarkably resilient. What's his name?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A Russian golden? I've lived and worked in Russia and never saw a golden. As others have said, just give him some time to acclimate to his new family and home. Let him take things at his own pace for a few days. Dogs are remarkably resilient. What's his name?

We're going to call him Hank.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I can't see the pic of Hank - is it showing up for others?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts