Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

Marley and I live in the city in an apartment, so I am very excited as we have joined a 'Doggy Day Out Group'. So tomorrow we are all going to an old ranch type place (they are called estancias here) way out in the country. They have huge amounts of grass for the dogs to run around in and they also have a hge pool for the dogs to play in. I know Marley like the water, we have a little kiddy pool on the balcony he loves to play in. However I want to know what will happen the first time he goes in a swimming pool, will he just be able to swim? Do I need to go in with him?

Sorry if my question sounds really stupid, he is my first dog and is only 6 months old!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Marley will be fine yes he will look a bit silly at first till he learns the swimming technic spelling. Shelley's first swim she look funny was only using her front legs she swam with her back end pointing down in the water using only the front so she splash alot and didn't get far. After about 2-3 days of going to the lake/river she started to swim like a normal doggy. I think the more times Marley swims the better he will get at it. Thats what happened with Shelley she is a strong swimmer now and is now beating Einstein in the water, But Einstein's got an excuse his 10 years old. Just don't force Marley to go in if he doesn't want too,let him explore the water on his own.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
"doggy day out" group sounds like the greatest thing!! He'll learn alot about of "style" from the other dogs.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He will be able to swim but probably not as smooth as the others. But he will pick it up really quickly. That sounds like a great time and place to visit.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Don't be surprised if he appears reluctant or flat out refuses to go in. Even though they're water dogs, not all goldens take to it immediately. Show him in and out and give him some time to get used to it. Having other dogs there will help his confidence!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts