Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Olivia went to the vet for a puppy check up last Tuesday, her fecal exam showed that she had Coccidia. She had not had any symptoms up to that point. The vet put her on Albon and away we went. She gets her medicine every morning and this morning was her fifth dose. She went potty this morning and it was still solid. I put her in her pen while I went outside to clean it up and when I came back in, she had pudding consistency diarrhea. I know that this is the symptom of Coccidia and the medicine does not kill the parasite but inhibits its growth.
My question is whether I should continue to feed her her normal diet or should she go on rice and chicken. She is playing normally and drinking water.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
With a foster pup I did boiled chicken and rice and slowly transitioned back to kibble once the stools improved. Have you talked to the breeder--he may be better versed in what to do and also let the other puppy owners know to be on the look out for symptoms in their pups

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I did let the breeder know when I got the diagnosis. I will try the chicken and rice diet for awhile. she is running and playing as well as drinking water. It was just odd that she did not have the symptoms when she was diagnosed but got them later. Must take a while to present symptoms.

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
Go really easy on the food...rice and boiled hamburger, pumpkin etc. Their little tummies need time to heal up. The younger the puppy, the worse the loose stools are. If they persist for more than a day or two, get puppy right back to the vet.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I have a cat who was having diarrhea and after a fecal exam was dx'ed with coccidia. He has been on medicine for 7 days, has 2 more doses to go and his poop still hasn't returned to normal.
So, I don't know what to tell you. I guess I will call my vet on Monday and find out what I am supposed to do.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been 5 and a 1/2 hours since she had diarrhea and nothing since. She has been outside several times but has no interest in going. When others experienced this, was the diarrhea often?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Try the search button with the word coccidia and you will get tons of information, probably more than you can read since this is very common.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts