Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in getting a Golden and am learning a lot from this website as searching online for a breeder is a bit daunting.
I had thought I found a breeder near me but availability doesn't coincide well with my summer break from teaching. The breeder also doesn't give specific information regarding the parents which I am now learning is important when choosing a puppy.
I have found this breeder and would greatly appreciate any information. Ideally I would like to find a breeder in New England/Mid-Atlantic and would wait if needed to find a healthy puppy.

Sire:
Sir Oliver Emperor Of Paisley Garden AKC DNA #V961232 (SS09609101)
Dam:
Lady Doris Of Paisley Garden (SS19532108)

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
I could not find anything on the bitch on K9 Data or OFA. I found the stud on OFA. He has hips (fair) and eyes. Eyes are out of date, no elbows, and no cardiac evaluation. The fact that the breeder touts OFA clearing on the litter is shady.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could not find anything on the bitch on K9 Data or OFA. I found the stud on OFA. He has hips (fair) and eyes. Eyes are out of date, no elbows, and no cardiac evaluation. The fact that the breeder touts OFA clearing on the litter is shady.
Thank you so much for the information.

·
Kristy
10,128 Posts
Reputable Golden breeders typically have puppies sold before they're born. If you're looking to bring home a puppy this summer it's way too late unless you just plain stumble into something. Most times puppies are spoken for before they are born or even conceived. Gestation is approx 8 weeks and puppies can't leave breeder till 8 weeks - so you need to back into it with the idea of at least 4 month lead time which doesn't give a lot of time to research.

I'd suggest reading everything you possibly can on the boards of this forum as well as www.grca.org as well as getting some GOlden Retriever and puppy raising books at the library and do a ton of research. Consider flying to pick up a puppy to expand your search area. I can't emphasize enough that a really good, reputable breeder is worth waiting for a puppy from - even next summer. Be sure you look at what the breeder is doing with their dogs: are they just farming puppies for money (not a good way to evaluate breeding dogs) or do they compete in some venue (show ring, obedience, hunt tests etc.) this is a great way to weed out crummy breeders. Another good rule of thumb: good breeders never use the phrase "championship lines" they prove their own dogs - look for someone who talks about training their own dogs. You want temperament and mental traits for a dog who can go places and is easy to train. That is why you want parents who aren't just staying home and doing nothing but produce puppies.

A golden puppy is a major time commitment of daily training and working with him for the two years, you can also spend your research time looking into training facilities, obedience clubs etc. Use the search feature at the top of the page and it will bring up threads on breeder by state and region - very helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
[Ha! Nolefan and I were typing at the same time! ;-) ]

Just a heads up that demand is high and many/most reputable breeders have closed their waitlists for 2021. Your best bet if the timing is important to you is to think in terms of NEXT summer and use 2021 to identify one or more breeders who you feel good about (and if their waitlists are closed, find out when they may open again). This forum has many helpful threads to educate you and guide your search. I'd start with the posts in the Choosing A Golden Retriever Breeder & Puppy subforum. You can also look for existing threads on breeders in your area (here's one re breeders in New England) or to see if a particular breeder has been discussed here before. Good luck!

Reactions: Brave and nolefan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your responses. I have my name on a list for a puppy in my area. The past litters were spoken for over a year ago. This breeder hadn't list any specifics about the sire/dame so I started doing more research thus leading to questioning the other breeder who seemed to give more information. I plan to ask more delving questions of the breeder that I am currently on the list for a puppy. I admit I was a bit naive about quality of breeders but do want a golden and understand the work involved with having one. Thank you for sharing the resources. I will be sure to read them and search out posts regarding questions for breeders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts