Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mayflower1976
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family is looking for a golden puppy. We are considering Jennifer Lis and Absolute Goldens from Southampton, MA. Her mother is a breeder in Colorado, Autumn Sun lines. Any feedback for either breeder would be appreciated!!! Anyone with pups from Absolute Golden?? Dam is Daisy and Sire is Winston.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I see they advertise on several websites with dogs available (doggies.com etc.). Also describe their dogs as cream. No records on ofa. Big red flags for me.

Also no records on k9data.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
Make sure that both sire and dam have OFA or PennHip for hips, OFA for elbows, CERF for eyes done within 12-15 months and heart cleared by a veterinary cardiologist.

Not familiar with either kennel, though a couple of their dogs sound familiar to me.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
What is the bitch's registered name? The website doesn't mention it. As a puppy buyer, you have every right to know the name so that you can verify clearances. If you have the name, just enter it into www.offa.org to see clearances. If she doesn't show up- she doesn't have any.

·
Mayflower1976
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSES!!!! Especially on the type and number of health clearances. I appreciate you all taking the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everybody, I just learned of this conversation and would love the opportunity to introduce myself as this conversation is about getting advice on my kennel, Absolute Golden.
Our family has spent many years loving our Goldens and working hard to maintain winning lines. We have always been happy to supply documentation of our dogs and their pedigree, clearances, Guarantee of Health, and championship winning blood lines to our potential puppy owners.
Our dogs have placed #1 in the Nation and #5 in the nation at Westminster as a result of our dedication to breeding wonderful dogs.
Obviously, the conclusions reached by some of the advice given here hurts my feelings, but more importantly, raises doubt on beautiful dogs that are proven great pets and actual championship winners. Trust me, you cannot win at Westminster or have the strength and sound temperment of our dogs without being very dedicated and working very hard. We love our dogs, and want them to go to good homes.
I welcome people interested in our puppies to view correct information on our dogs pedigrees, clearances, etc.
One way to acquire correct info on our lines and clearances would be to go to Orthopedic Foundation for Animals and type in "Autumn Sun" in the search box. Our Golden Retrievers are listed along with clearance tests. You can also go to AKC directly, or Westminster's website as well.
I agree with some of the advice given here. It is always the right of a potential puppy buyer to have access to all correct information on a litter. It seems unwarranted for other breeders to raise doubt, "red flags", or advise against our puppies without the facts on each dog and each litter. These are great dogs :) We are very small family kennel, yet we welcome the opportunity to support other upstanding breeders and anyone dedicated to this amazing breed of dog. I hope that people interested in our dogs will contact us directly for access to correct info from AKC, OFFA.com, etc. (sometimes the indirectness of internet forums or wrong information can be confusing :)

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
AbsoluteGolden, are the dogs mentioned in SunGold's post yours? If so, I can't find clearances on either listed in OFA and from your website, Daisy had puppies last Dec. It only takes a couple of breedings for a good pedigree to go astray, so hanging your hat on 1987 championship doesn't say much.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
This thread is over a year old. As any good buyer people will look up clearances as a way of familiarizing themselves with a breeder. If clearances are not listed this may be a red flag especially if the breeder says OFA hips and elbows and they are not listed on OFA's Website prior to when the breeding occurred.

I have not looked at your actual website but just look up the Autumn Sun name on OFA as you suggested. Many of the dogs do not have complete clearances displayed-
They may not even be your dogs

There are many confirmation dogs that are top dogs yet the health of them and their offspring is questionable- Not trying to say or imply this is the case with you. A few years ago a documentary was made in England called I believe "Pedigreed dogs exposed" and then "Pedigreed dog exposed- 3 years on". It involved show dogs and the Crufts dog show in part of the program.

Welcome to the group:)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
This IS an old thread. I challenge Absolute Goldens to produce registered names of their dogs, so the public can verify them on Orthopedic Foundation for Animals. The first Autumn Sun entry on OFA is actually moderately dysplastic. And I looked quickly, but one of the spectacular dog mentions was from before 1990. Many things have changed....

Reactions: MikaTallulah

·
16,000 Posts
Hi Everybody, I just learned of this conversation and would love the opportunity to introduce myself as this conversation is about getting advice on my kennel, Absolute Golden.
Our family has spent many years loving our Goldens and working hard to maintain winning lines. We have always been happy to supply documentation of our dogs and their pedigree, clearances, Guarantee of Health, and championship winning blood lines to our potential puppy owners.
Our dogs have placed #1 in the Nation and #5 in the nation at Westminster as a result of our dedication to breeding wonderful dogs.
Obviously, the conclusions reached by some of the advice given here hurts my feelings, but more importantly, raises doubt on beautiful dogs that are proven great pets and actual championship winners. Trust me, you cannot win at Westminster or have the strength and sound temperment of our dogs without being very dedicated and working very hard. We love our dogs, and want them to go to good homes.
I welcome people interested in our puppies to view correct information on our dogs pedigrees, clearances, etc.
One way to acquire correct info on our lines and clearances would be to go to Orthopedic Foundation for Animals and type in "Autumn Sun" in the search box. Our Golden Retrievers are listed along with clearance tests. You can also go to AKC directly, or Westminster's website as well.
I agree with some of the advice given here. It is always the right of a potential puppy buyer to have access to all correct information on a litter. It seems unwarranted for other breeders to raise doubt, "red flags", or advise against our puppies without the facts on each dog and each litter. These are great dogs :) We are very small family kennel, yet we welcome the opportunity to support other upstanding breeders and anyone dedicated to this amazing breed of dog. I hope that people interested in our dogs will contact us directly for access to correct info from AKC, OFFA.com, etc. (sometimes the indirectness of internet forums or wrong information can be confusing :)

Really???? Wow!!!!! #1 in the Nation???? And, #5 in the Nation at Westiminster???????? WOW! Please share the registered names, and of course, the WIN PHOTOS of these stellar accomplishments!!!!
WOW!

I am actually, (as would be many long time fanciers) familiar with the dogs referenced above. However, riding on the laurels of another's accomplishments does NOT make a great breeder of great dogs. Additionally, I am aware of what it takes to win at Westminster.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Really???? Wow!!!!! #1 in the Nation???? And, #5 in the Nation at Westiminster???????? WOW! Please share the registered names, and of course, the WIN PHOTOS of these stellar accomplishments!!!!
WOW!

Taken from the AutumnSun website
"CH Stonehill AutumnSun Sweet Jimmy, SDHFJimmy's father, Ch Laurels Jiminy Cricket, SDHF,OS, and owned by Judy and Ray Laureano was No. 1 in the Nation for two years and Jimmy finished No. 5 in the Nation himself in 2007 as a Champion and a Show Dog Hall of Fame. He performed at Westminster twice with my Professional Handler, Sherri Hurst."

They don't even have the name spelled correctly...should read: "Laurell's"

·
OTCH Wannabes!
3,088 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me when those breeders find out someone is talking about them on here....and try to make their breeding program sound SO wonderful and give false information about their dogs. Like really, why can't we all just be HONEST and help out others for future health issues??

·
Registered
13,492 Posts

·
16,000 Posts
Taken from the AutumnSun website
"CH Stonehill AutumnSun Sweet Jimmy, SDHFJimmy's father, Ch Laurels Jiminy Cricket, SDHF,OS, and owned by Judy and Ray Laureano was No. 1 in the Nation for two years and Jimmy finished No. 5 in the Nation himself in 2007 as a Champion and a Show Dog Hall of Fame. He performed at Westminster twice with my Professional Handler, Sherri Hurst."

They don't even have the name spelled correctly...should read: "Laurell's"

Yeah, well, it's all about the "confirmation" dontcha know.

·
16,000 Posts
Here he is on offa. I notice that that websites queries are not always accurate.

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

I only see hips and elbows.
And too many "Moderate" hips and degenerative joint disease in elbows...

Sorry. But first of all, look back far enough in any dog's pedigree and you're going to find a champion somewhere. And exploiting the wins and accomplishments of another breeder or owner to promote marginally bred litters with a poor history of clearances is just not cutting it.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
The AKC number is messed up along with the name spelling. Per the AKC website, SN3136780 belongs to Lady Ginger Of Sandhill; however, they have this AKC number associated with Cascade Autumn Sun Sir Winston on offa.org

SR31367802 is Cascade Autumnsun Sir Winston. When you put in the correct AKC # in offa.org, you'll see that this boy sired 2 litters prior to the age of 2.

Spelling of name and incorrect AKC numbers--whose fault is this, breeder or OFA?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
The AKC number is messed up along with the name spelling. Per the AKC website, SN3136780 belongs to Lady Ginger Of Sandhill; however, they have this AKC number associated with Cascade Autumn Sun Sir Winston on offa.org

SR31367802 is Cascade Autumnsun Sir Winston. When you put in the correct AKC # in offa.org, you'll see that this boy sired 2 litters prior to the age of 2.

Spelling of name and incorrect AKC numbers--whose fault is this, breeder or OFA?
I also noticed that the OFA had Stonehill Autumnsun Sweet Jimmy spelled wrong. Autumn was spelled Autm.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Plus in the registered name Jimmy is spelled Jimy.

Reactions: MikaTallulah
1 - 20 of 20 Posts