Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to this page - I'm just trying to narrow down finding a good breeder. I'm looking for a golden (either a puppy or up to about 2 years old) ideally in the next couple months. I've had a puppy before, so I know the drill on waitlists and asking about breed specific health conditions (which this forum has been exceptionally helpful in researching). Mainly, I'm looking for help in finding a breeder that has dogs of a temperament that will fit with my lifestyle and healthy dogs.

I'm looking for an active companion dog (running partner). Mainly, I want a dog I can bring everywhere (within reason) with me. My last dog (different breed) was very dog aggressive, which really limited where I could take her. I do travel a fair bit, but largely to dog friendly places - so long as my dog is friendly with dogs and kids, he would be welcome. My last dog was a German Shepherd that I trained extensively for obedience - I'm really hoping for a dog I can train very well (good enough recall to let off leash to swim / hang out). I've been leaning towards field lines, as they look more active / trainable, but I don't know if that means I would have issues if I'm only keeping the dog as an active companion vs. a hunter. Any advice on what I would be dealing with for a field line as an active companion dog?

So for my priorities - I'm looking for a breeder in New England (or otherwise close enough that I could drive to visit and check them out), healthy dogs of sound temperament (dog and people friendly), smart / trainable (ideally I would train as a therapy dog, but at the very least solid obedience), active but not HYPER. And the last thing that may be a little controversial here - I do prefer the darker red dogs. All the other things like health and temperament are obviously more important (color is absolutely not a deal breaker for me) - but I thought I would mention that just because it seems like people on this forum are very knowledgable of so many breeders that maybe someone knew the perfect combo for me. Does anyone know of any breeders that they think fit this?

Any advice would be very appreciated! (also, really, I get that color is at the bottom of the priority list - that would just be the sprinkles on the icing on the cake if we were able to check all the other boxes).

·
Premium Member
16,434 Posts
Our junior handler Keller has a Brookshire golden girl who fits the bill you describe, but isnt red in color. She is the light of Keller's life named Bunny.

Saquish Goldens in Conway NH has really nice dogs, and many are red
Sunfire Goldens in CT
Cressida Goldens in Lakeville MA
Pebwin Goldens on Cape Cod

Reactions: ml09 and NewfieMom

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Our junior handler Keller has a Brookshire golden girl who fits the bill you describe, but isnt red in color. She is the light of Keller's life named Bunny.

Sunfire Goldens in CT
I, also, am in New England. As you may recall (because you posted to a thread about pedigrees I started a long time ago), back when I had my last Golden it was possible to get a dog from the Tigathoes line here. I am still keeping my eye out for breeders. (I recently noticed the Four Lakes dogs, but they are far away from me.)

Although color doesn't matter to the original poster, I love dogs who are the original red color, like my first Golden, Brit, who was a Tigathoes bitch. So I noticed Saquish Goldens.

Also: is there one breeder among those you mentioned who is known to have healthier dogs than another?

NewfieMom

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Reactions: TheZ's and ml09

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Sunfire Goldens in CT
Thanks for these ideas - I'm just trying to do a bit of research on each. It seems Cressida and Pebwin are not breeding any time soon. I found info on Brookshire and Sunfire, but do you know a way to contact Saquish? That's the only one where the website doesn't seem to have any contact information - I'm not sure if that means "don't contact us" or if I'm just missing something.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Saquish Golden Retrievers

Thanks for these ideas - I'm just trying to do a bit of research on each. It seems Cressida and Pebwin are not breeding any time soon. I found info on Brookshire and Sunfire, but do you know a way to contact Saquish? That's the only one where the website doesn't seem to have any contact information - I'm not sure if that means "don't contact us" or if I'm just missing something.
Ljilly28 posted this contact information in another thread on this forum:

Rachelle Porter & Melanie Porter Rockport, MA 978-273-6822
Conway, NH USA
603-986-4496
www.saquishkennels.com
[email protected]

NewfieMom

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I would definitely get with Barb at Sunfire Goldens and see what her future plans are.

Sunfire Golden Retrievers - Home and News
Reading through the OP, I also thought of Sunfire. Their dogs are active dogs often with obedience, agility, and field dogs in their pedigree but some are a blend with conformation background. Full diclosure . . . our current pup is from Sunfire. I expect she's going to be what I would call a true gold color but some of her littermates are darker, more toward the red end of the color range. I'm hoping to do obedience and therapy work with her but she's been telling me she'd really like to do agility.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Reading through the OP, I also thought of Sunfire. Their dogs are active dogs often with obedience, agility, and field dogs in their pedigree but some are a blend with conformation background. Full diclosure . . . our current pup is from Sunfire. I expect she's going to be what I would call a true gold color but some of her littermates are darker, more toward the red end of the color range. I'm hoping to do obedience and therapy work with her but she's been telling me she'd really like to do agility.
I have to admit that I looked up the pedigree of my current favorite breeder (based on their last-i.e. their 2014-litter of red puppies): Four Lakes in Wisconsin and saw that both the dam and the sire had Sunfire dogs in their pedigrees!!! Maybe if I get another Golden, I should go directly to Sunfire myself!!!

NewfieMom

PS-If your current pup says she wants to do agility, I am betting you will soon be doing agility.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I have to admit that I looked up the pedigree of my current favorite breeder (based on their last-i.e. their 2014-litter of red puppies): Four Lakes in Wisconsin and saw that both the dam and the sire had Sunfire dogs in their pedigrees!!! Maybe if I get another Golden, I should go directly to Sunfire myself!!!

NewfieMom

PS-If your current pup says she wants to do agility, I am betting you will soon be doing agility.
Small world. My Gracie's sire is a littermate of Four Lakes' Abby, proud mama of their recent litter.

·
Premium Member
16,434 Posts
Yes, here is Saquish's contact info. Melanie is wonderful and has been a key person in the search for lost golden Bond, pouring in her volunteer time.

Rachelle Porter & Melanie Porter Rockport, MA 978-273-6822
Conway, NH USA
603-986-4496
[email protected]

Reactions: ml09

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi! Do you have a Brookshire pup? I have one from there as well! ? I agree Julie is fantastic!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
We have one too fromm brookshire goldens!
She has been great to work with and seems to know the breed. I will say though that you should seek other owner's opinions as I have had the dog for only 3 weeks or so, and therefore I do not have a "history" on it. She has been fantastic pup so far and seemed to be house trained "right out of the box" so to speak :)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
When I'm able to get a second golden i was probably going to try to go for a Sunfire pup. I was looking at them before I got Ella. I do wish i went with them but at the same time i don't regret getting my Ella for anything. So now when I'm able able to get a second I definitely want a Sunfire pup.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts

NewfieMom

Abby of Four Lakes was bred by Wendy of Cheerio Goldens, who is the sister in law of Barb at Sunfire Goldens.

Reactions: ml09

·
Mom to Oatmeal too!
503 Posts
My Oatmeal is from Brookshire too! She gets so many compliments on her temperament and looks. While she is still a big puppy, she definitely has what it takes to be a therapy dog!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Sunfire would be good for an athletic golden... But seriously, to have a running dog, look at a vizsla. Weim, or Dalmatian ..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sunfire would be good for an athletic golden... But seriously, to have a running dog, look at a vizsla. Weim, or Dalmatian ..
That actually was my biggest concern with goldens (other than early cancer death). We had one as a kid that absolutely would not run with you to save his life. I thought if I went through more agility/obedience type lines, I could get the combination of golden personality but also trainable/athletic... But does this seem like a reach? My cousins had one that you could run/bike with, so I'm trying to figure out how to get one like that. I admittedly have less experience with the well bred variety of goldens.

Do you know much about the other breeds? I actually had been considering dalmatian, but I heard they can often be dog aggressive. And I've heard vizslas are good for running but are WIRED if you don't really run them and don't necessarily chill well in the house. Good with other dogs and kids is a must have for me - just coming from my last dog aggressive dog, which was a ton of work to manage even with extensive obedience work.

·
Premium Member
16,434 Posts
I ran with my golden Joplin 7-12 miles every morning, and he lived to be nearly 16.

Reactions: NewfieMom and ml09
1 - 19 of 19 Posts