Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday I was looking on Petfinder and came across a Golden that was at the county animal shelter near my workplace. I drove over at lunch to see him and just knew he had to come home with us. After applying to adopt and taking our other dogs over on Saturday for an interaction evaluation we were able to bring him home today. We named him Sammy and he is in pretty bad shape. He has a huge hematoma on his left ear which was lanced and drained but it is still very swollen. He has numerous bumps and scars and is severly underweight. We have an appointment at our vet on Wednesday so we can get an idea of exactly what we might be facing with getting him healthy again.

I was just wondering if those of you who have been in rescue for a while could give me some ideas of the best dog food to feed him that would provide the best nutrition for him and help him gain weight. Right now he only weighs 45 pounds. He was found as a stray and apparently was one for quite a while. He has a beautiful golden coat but it is very dry, I'm sure from the malnutrition. I'm going to start him on Fish Oil Capsules to help with the dry coat and skin. Our dogs are eating Purina Pro-Plan at the moment but I'm sure there may be something better out there that would give him that extra boost to help him become healthy again.

For all he has apparently been through he is a real sweetie pie. He has settled in quite nicely already and he and our other Golden, Dusty, who we rescued just a month ago, are already bonding, giving each other kisses! Our two little terriers have tried to show him that they are the "kings" around here but he's not all that impressed and just ignores them!

I've taken a couple of pics but my camera is giving me fits tonight and I haven't been able to upload them but will hopefully be able to do that soon!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
I think your regular food will be just fine. You can add something additional to his kibble, like eggs, cottage cheese, organ meats, but honestly, you just might want to feed him enough for his ideal weight and see how he does. An underweight dog shouldn't pack on the pounds too fast, especially if he's been out on his own and very malnourished. Congratulations on your new family member and thanks for rescuing your new guy.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Than you for rescuing him. I would keep him on the ProPlan. It is a good food and adding the fish oil capsules will help with the fur and skin. Right now I am fostering a dog that was very very thin when I got him and we have been feeding him ProPlan puppy for the extra nutrition. I also put a little canned food to help put alittle weight on him. Good luck and we would lov to see some pictures of him.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
When I get in a severely underweight foster, I feed them several small meals throughout the day. As they put on weight, I start spacing the meals out more. Is he anemic, too or just really thin?

Thank you for saving him!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Actually, I would keep him on that. The grain fillers in it provide carbs, which will help him gain. Unless he seems to be itchy and have problems with grains, it should be just fine :)

Has he been dewormed?

·
Administrator
16,481 Posts
Thank you for adopting a Golden in need. It sounds as if things are starting out well. I am sure he will put on weight soon enough. When I adopted Liam he was very underweight but within a few months he was filling in nicely.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
No advice from me since I don't know about the food, but congratulations on your new boy!

I can't wait to see his picture.:);):p:

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I get in a severely underweight foster, I feed them several small meals throughout the day. As they put on weight, I start spacing the meals out more. Is he anemic, too or just really thin?

Thank you for saving him!
I don't know if he is anemic or not yet, I hope to find out tomorrow. I just got a call from the shelter and the vet that did his bloodwork wanted our vet's phone number so she could fax his results over to them.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Is this your Sammy? He was posted in another thread in the rescue section.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, I would keep him on that. The grain fillers in it provide carbs, which will help him gain. Unless he seems to be itchy and have problems with grains, it should be just fine :)

Has he been dewormed?
Yes, he was given one tablet of Drontal Plus. From reading his paperwork he presented with severe intestinal parasite infestation (round and whip worms) and had severe flea infestation, which they bathed him for. When he goes to the vet tomorrow I will see if he needs a follow-up dosage for the worms and if I can use Frontline on him for the fleas.

Thankfully he was negative for heartworm and lyme so that is a plus!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is this your Sammy? He was posted in another thread in the rescue section.

No, that is another Sammy that is close to me as well. I just saw him on Petfinder yesterday. Our Sammy is almost as thin as this one but he has so much hair you can't see it like you can on this poor boy. I can feel every one of our Sammy's ribs and his poor hipbones stick out from his body. I feel so bad for both of these babies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts