Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was just looking for some advice, we have a golden retriever & he is 10 mths old, he is fit & well & very healthy. Our only concern is along his bottom eye lid on both eyes is red. We have been told it could be as he is young, his skin needs to get tighter because he looks a little droopy bless him.

Any advice would be much appreciated........thank you.
I have had 2 dogs in the past but never seen this before.

Shannon

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
It could be an allergic reaction to environment or food. I think it's worth a vet consult.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Does your vet seem concerned about it? I ask because my Pawley has droopy bottom eyelids and you do see the red. His eyes are red all the time but they are more noticeable when he is tired. It isnt really bad though. They vet said they are not bad enough to need surgery but to keep an eye on them, because dirt can get in there. So far we have not had any problems. My Pawley is almost 3.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi he was looked at a few months ago and we was told not to worry and that some dogs get this. Like you said is the same with ours, its always red but we notice it more when he is tired as his eyes are droopy. We are just keeping an eye on him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi....new here but was about ready to post about our 10 month old girl Sadie. She has the droopy eye look also. Neither of our 2 previous goldens had this look. Our vet indicated that this was not a problem...more cosmetic than anything. Didn't think it warranted surgery. I still wonder if allergies may be involved....

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
If the eyelids are red, it could be small eye lashes that irritate the lid. Sometimes they need to be removed. I can't remember the name of the problem. E...

I think checking in with the vet is a wise thing to do. It just might be her conformation!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vet checked for "inturned eyelashes" when Sadie was spayed and found no problems. Indicated that the droopy lower lid was "What makes her your dog"!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes we was told the same thing, they said he is fine. I was just interested to see if anyone else had experienced this. Thank you for all of your advice & for replying.

Shannon

·
Registered
810 Posts
If the eyelids are red, it could be small eye lashes that irritate the lid. Sometimes they need to be removed. I can't remember the name of the problem. E...

I think checking in with the vet is a wise thing to do. It just might be her conformation!

We know a lab/golden cross who had this. I also forget what it's called. He had the surgery to get the lower eyelashes removed, but it looked like they made his already droopy eyelids worse with the surgery. The poor guy looks sad all of the time.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Entropion-rolled in eyelids
Ectropion-very loose lids or lids that roll out slightly.

Entropion should almost always be surgically corrected. Ectropion usually isn't that big a deal-just watch and make sure "stuff" doesn't collect there. Rinse the eyes with saline as needed to flush out that lower lid.

There's also Distichiasis where an eyelash grows on the inside of the eyelid. Those should be removed as they irritate the eye also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts