Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Advice Needed on outside space

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Debles 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and looking for some advice. Tomorrow we bring home our new Golden boy! My husband and I have been organising the house and trying to work out what will be best for him in terms of toileting and outside access.

We live in a house that is situated in a hills area. The back door leads out onto a covered porch. Beyond the porch is a much higher area of garden that is accessed by some stairs from the porch. In this area that is up higher there is some grass and trees. To the side of the porch is a rocky area with a garden bed. Obviously the puppy cannot use the stairs to get to the garden area behind the porch because of the need to avoid jumping or climbing to prevent HD. I am also nervous about allowing him access (at this stage) to the rocky area to the side of the porch, as it's so full of rocks and things that could be hazardous. The porch itself can be closed/secured to only allow him in there, but there is no green area for toileting there. We are going to crate train, but I am not sure where to take him out to when he does need to go.

Should I set up a puppy pad area on the porch? or take him to the rocky garden bed? or carry him up the stairs to the lawn? At this stage (while he's so young) if he needs to be left alone for longer than 4 hours he will be kept inside the laundry anyway and have to go on pads, but ultimately I want him to go outside himself. Will it be confusing to take him to a spot in the garden that he can't access by himself? If I let him use an area of the porch will he find it easy enough to switch to the garden once he's allowed to climb stairs (9 months I assume?)

We are thinking of re-landscaping the side section of the garden to provide him with a safe grassy area, but it wouldn't be very big. The garden itself is big, but has to be accessed by climbing. I feel frustrated that there is all this land I live on, but that puppy will have to be confined, or use an area on the porch for toileting. But my main concern is his safety and happiness.

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
In the beginning - easy, quick convenient access is more important - they don't require a green area for toileting...

Can you remove any foreign dangerous objects and dump smaller stones on the rocky area to create a space that is safe for both you and the puppy to walk on or create a concrete slab?

I would not encourage a Golden pup to urinate/defecate on your deck - unless you are prepared to have to train him not to go on the deck later...

#3 ·
I completely agree with LibertyMe that you should avoid the deck/porch as a potty. They get in lifelong habits so easily in the first 12 weeks. I'd say to make the most convenient area safe - no need for grass necessarily. I think your pup will soon be up and down the stairs if you want to rally and carry him at first- but puppies go out ALOT.

#4 ·
I truly think you can not worry about HD that much...it is not acquired that way...however you should be cautious about undo stress on growth plates (like pounding from jumping down from high places or jogging)
Going up and down a few stairs is ok...

You don't need a 'green area' One of my clients (who is a Veterinarian) did this, which I think is brilliant...he cut out a 50" diameter circle (you can make it any size) in the sod in a designated place, it could be anywhere you can find a convenient spot...put down 'pea gravel' a few inches thick and used that as a designated potty area for his puppy....He carried her out as a baby and always brought her there until it was habit, she continued to use it throughout her life.

He always was able to pick up the stool from that small area instead of looking all over the yard...so it does have its advantages! It is easily sanitized and the stool can be picked up with relative ease...a little rake and pan!

I hate the fact my dog (Cocker) 'goes' on my deck, he just HATES the rain...lol and makes the trip as fast as he can!

I guess I am grateful he has decided to go there instead of in the house and on rainy days I can live with it..

#5 ·
Thanks to all of you for the advice.

I think you're all right about the porch. I don't like the idea either.

I'm happy to carry him up and down the stairs, it's just they are quite steep and spaced fairly far apart, so I worry that they are potentially more dangerous than other steps may be. The gradient is fairly steep. I would like to build a ramp, but am not sure that the area is large enough to reduce the gradient sufficiently to make it workable.

The idea of the pee circle area could work. I might try to make the rocky area safer and maybe put in something like that. It's just a shame that he'll have to be confined there, as it is not a huge space, when there is so much other space around. It's frustrating!

Thanks for your help!

#7 ·
Totally agree....
Even if he had an acre...they tend to go in the same couple of spots anyway!
PLUS if you condition him to go on leash and on command....it is sooooo much easier to travel with and simply walk your dog...(if they have done their business at home) then it is much less likely that your will be carrying a bag of poop on your walks!

#8 ·
You guys are great! Thanks! I think I am a bit over anxious/worried. I just want everything to go well. I have wanted a dog for about 10 years now. I gre up with dogs and my grandfather was a breeder, my aunt owned kennels.

About 10 years ago I got a puppy that was a mixed breed (free to good home thing) and he died a month later of a genetic defect. It was very traumatic. Then I waited to get a dog again until 3 years ago when I got a lab from a shelter. I have always travelled a lot, so despite desperately wanting a dog I figured that maybe my initial plan to get the puppy wasn't so wise. But the lab developed severe separation anxiety and I wasn't able to leave her alone at all. The animal behaviouralist said that she would have to be with me 24/7 to train her out of her behaviour for about 6 months or so. I couldn't take her to work with me so I had to return her to the shelter. It was awful. After that my husband and I decided to move overseas for a few years. We are back now and have bought a house, and so now can get the much awaited dog.

Sorry, that is probably too much info. Basically, I am just trying to explain why I am a little bit anxious!

#9 ·
Outside Potty Area

Hi! How exciting to be bringing home a puppy! I just have a question... Is there any reason you can't go out the front door for potty breaks? I have a rather large 100' by 66' back yard--but it is filled with mulch, river rocks, and other puppy mischief areas. Since I brought Harry home, I have taken him out the front door to potty (always on leash). I have a beautiful lawn out there, and there has been no impact. I clean up after him pretty much daily. When they are so little, no one notices they are out there to do their business anyway. I started this because it was easier access for me with my disability issues. We have continued. He knows when he goes out front it's for a specific purpose and he gets busy right away. Now that Harry is older, I am beginning to transition him to taking himself out to the back yard. But, for potty training purposes, you can't beat just getting straight out the front door and back!:) Good luck with your Golden boy and keep us posted!

#10 ·
I have no advice but welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new puppy! I'm sure everything will work out just fine! Sorry to hear about losing your puppy a few years ago, it's definitely not "too much info"! Most of us have been in similar situations, losing a pet we love, and we all understand! Have fun with your puppy and I can't wait to see pictures!! :)

#11 ·
I just wanted to tell you not to worry about HD and stairs. HD is genetic disease and stairs have no influence on HD. My dog had grew up on stairs and his hips are great. And now I have a puppy that is 5 months old and he's on stairs from his 8th week. I just watched him few days to make sure he learns how to go up and down and make sure he doesn't fall. As Spun Gold said, just keep him from jumping from high places and jogging.
My advice- don't be so protective to him. Play with him as much as you can, not all thing will be ideal. Enjoy with him and don't worry so much! I bet he's going to be one great and happy puppy! Past things we can't change we can only do our best for the future... This puppy is whole new person so forget all about others and concentrate on him! I wish you all the best and can't wait to see this gorgeous fellow!

#13 ·
Thanks again everyone. Well we have him home! We have named him Iggy. He is just the sweetest thing! I will post some pictures in a new thread once I find the cable to upload them.

Unfortunately we can't take him out the front either. The house is elevated, so there are stairs to access the inside from the front too! Anyway, we have decided to remove the tanbark and stones from the small garden bed at the side of the porch and add some more soil there. Now we are enclosing it fully with some chicken wire mesh. Hopefully that will keep him in there and not allow him to wander off into other parts of the garden (once he's trained and coming in and out himself). It will just have to be enough space when he's home alone.

thanks for such a warm welcome!

#14 ·
Welcome to the forum. You are going to do great with your pup. The rule of thumb here on the forum is you should carry them up and down stairs until they are too heavy to carry. Like LibertyMe said it is best to start them right off going in the spot you want them to go. Be prepared with lots of easy to put on warm clothes right beside the door you will be going out. You will be putting these on in a hurry many many times a day for those first few weeks. Some sort of slip on boot will be essential. Within a few days you will be able to gear up like a firefigher :D

You mentioned using a laundry room during the day but I think the crate would work out better. Your pup will have less area he needs to protect and will feel safer than in the laundry room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.