Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 10 month old golden (50 lbs) ate a scrunchie about an hour ago. I would take her to the vet or make her throw up, but I’m hesitant because long story short there was no elastic in it anymore and it was just a straight piece of fabric. She had already ripped it so that it was no longer in a circle. Im guessing it was maybe 6-8 inches of a straight piece of fabric. I’m leaning towards waiting to see if she’ll naturally vomit it or poop it out, but what would you guys do?? Thank you for your help:))

·
Noreaster
2,247 Posts
Call your vet (or the local emergency vet) and ask what to watch for specifically. This is also to get it on record that you’ve got this situation so you can be seen more quickly if necessary.

In general, watch for lethargy, refusing to eat, seeming to be uncomfortable, vomiting without the scrunchie showing back up, not pooping. I would feed her lightly for a day or so. I had one vet who used to recommend a tablespoon of olive oil to help move things along, but if your dog has a delicate system, that can cause other problems.

Do keep an eye on her…I wouldn’t leave her alone if you can help it just in case it comes back up and she chokes.

Dogs can pass through an amazing variety of things. My puppy ate a small carabiner clip in half a second, Off we went to the emergency vet, which was two hours away…and nothing. Somewhere in the chaos getting him into the car he quietly threw it up and I never did find out where or when.

When I worked as an LVT, two GSD older pups came in with their hysterical owner. They had gotten into her sewing basket and apparently shared a very large pincushion, needles, pins, and all…you should have seen the xrays. The vet threw up her hands and decided to wait and see for a bit, because picking through that mess in surgery could have caused more harm than good…and it all passed uneventfully. Probably not painlessly, but according to the owner, the pups never seemed to notice.

I hope it all goes well!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts