Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Have YOU yourself had a conversation with the breeder? You definitely should - and if the breeder is a reputable breeder, he or she would want to talk to you, too. Just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
I hope all goes well for you and your new pup. It doesn't sound like you have contacted or spoken to the breeder so give this some thought from their position. Even my rescue homes were required to return dogs back to me... I want to know and decide what is or isn't a good home for my dogs as well as their location. Gratefully I never had this happen but look at this situation from the breeders point of view.
A good breeder has put their heart and soul into producing this puppy. They have interviewed the family and had many phone conversations prior to allowing this family to take one of their pups. Per the contract where this pup goes is legally their decision for the life of the dog. This also entitles you as a new owner a lifetime of support so show some respect and contact the breeder, introduce yourself, confirm they are involved. Offer to sign a new contract so you can register this pup and change microchip information to you. This also allows you to learn information about the history of the puppy and the pedigree, health information on the bloodlines. Why wouldn't anyone not want this info?? This is not a rescue from a facility that has no history, it's (hypothetically) a well bred pup from a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
635 Posts
In most states (USA), you don't need a contract of any kind to re-register a microchip. A bill of sale from the prior owner is all that's needed ( as dog is classified as property, in most of the USA ). If there is a contract that says otherwise, you can and should ask for a release! Your vet can scan the chip so that you can locate the company and re-register the dog yourself. (with proof of ownership). You can easily find some basic information about your dog by looking him up in with his AKC registration (or other organization, like CKC) and look for yourself. If you want to go deeper..there are DNA kits available for under $100USD.

If you choose not to stay in touch with a breeder..that's your decision as an owner.
Best of luck and have fun with your new dog!

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
Actually, Reunite (and perhaps others- I only know the Reunite policies) will not re-register a chip even with a copy of AKC registration naming new owner without a sign off from prior owner.
If this dog came from a good breeder initially, their contract will require contact w them. It'd be dumb to not stay in touch- the breeder knows the pedigree. Not only that- you need to see the original contract, since person selling/placing dog with you most likely does not have the right to do so without breeder approval.
Researching via AKC is costly unless you are privy to BOM$ . And you must know the reg # or reg name to do that research. There are little tricks to some of it, but the average person would find it difficult. CKC is even harder (assuming that was in reference to the Canadian club not the BYB Continental whose records are not worth the paper they are on).

·
Registered
635 Posts
To the OP..
A written release is a legal "sign-off"..You could ask to have a release notarized for good measure.
Things happen in life..people pass on, people sell their interests in businesses, or unknown parties make claims, etc.

In current times, safety pays off. Chosing you own path is still your decision, as it should be.
In days of old, Nevadians consummated business arrangements with a handshake for far more money than any Golden costs. Tie bids for public contracts were settled by cutting a deck of cards (I kid you not....:ROFLMAO:). Yep..I yearn for some of the better things from back then.

Here ya go: (for EXAMPLE ONLY)
"
Change of ownership

Sometimes our furry friends find themselves with new families. If your pet has a 24PetWatch® microchip that is registered to his or her previous owner, please fill out the Ownership Transfer Form to ensure the correct person is notified if your pet goes missing and is subsequently found.

Click here to read our Microchip Service Policy.

In order to complete your pet's ownership transfer you are required to provide proof of ownership. Please submit one of the following documents with your ownership transfer request:
"
  • The previous owner's signature on the downloaded ownership transfer form.
  • A bill of sale from the previous owner to you that includes the microchip number.
  • A letter from a licensed veterinarian on their letterhead, stating that you are the owner of the animal. The letter must include the microchip number of your pet.
  • A city/county pet license in conjunction with vaccination records (including microchip number)."

Veterinary bills are not accepted as proof of ownership.
"

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Prism has offered experienced, reliable information... not a google search. These places require a release document signed by the previous owner, not just a bill of sale as proof of ownership. Shoot, we don't even know if the pup has a microchip. We don't even know if they have AKC registration on this pup. We are all working under the assumption this pup really did come from a reputable breeder. There has been no information posted to confirm this. For all we know the pup came from a BYB that the owner is just giving away a puppy. Regardless, enjoy your pup and get insurance!

·
Registered
635 Posts
OP's dog..OP's decision.
I mentioned a release a few times as a possible approach ^^^^^^, and getting it notarized, makes it all the more effective.

One never knows what a microchip company requires to do a transfer..Until they contact THAT company themselves to get the straight scoop.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
Jeff, there are reasons for releases not being acceptable by Reunite- which is the largest microchip company in the US. Reunite registers most of the AKC registered dogs microchips. I know you don't know about AKC things- your dog, it seems like, has one of those BYB registries -so let me explain. AKC = there are often co-owners. Sometimes co-owners get into snits over whose name is on what. For that reason, Reunite requires their particular form signed off on. Since you just talk about whatever you google as if any given OP is not capable of googling for themselves, you probably don't realize there are reasons for many of the things you find issue with- if someone experienced with Goldens, well bred ones in particular, here says something, there is no reason for you to throw in your .02 which is quite unlikely to have any bearing whatever on a well-bred dog's situation be it food, or drugs or typical growing pains or anything else. Anyone can google. People come here for real experience. In this dog's case, we have no idea whether a good breeder is behind this puppy- but I promise that if a good breeder IS behind the puppy, there is more to this story than has been posted. Why do you argue so much?

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Jeff is this how it's going to be on every subject you feel qualified to respond to? No one can provide any information that isn't validated or approved by you and your google expertise?
Everyone on this forum has the right to post what they know and pretty sure decades of dealing with puppies/breeding & microchip companies allows Prism the respect to post her knowledge without debating the subjects with you.. Your constant rebuttals, google search post and basically your overwhelming need to be RIGHT in all things is not of any value to anyone but you.
Sorry Prism, we were posting at the same time.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Jeff is this how it's going to be on every subject you feel qualified to respond to? No one can provide any information that isn't validated or approved by you and your google expertise?
Everyone on this forum has the right to post what they know and pretty sure decades of dealing with puppies/breeding & microchip companies allows Prism the respect to post her knowledge without debating the subjects with you.. Your constant rebuttals, google search post and basically your overwhelming need to be RIGHT in all things is not of any value to anyone but you.
Sorry Prism, we were posting at the same time.
Rebuttals are needed to correct mis-information and give people alternatives to try!
People that are not interested, or think that alternatives are bad, can always choose the ignore function, for my posts.
It gets old seeing one side of a story.

Edit: Google is used to substantiate my opinion, and to preempt questions about my "credentials".

·
Registered
126 Posts
Getting into some obedience lessons will be a good start for sure. I agree that goldens are generally very adaptable. Sounds like it has been a while since you had a puppy, so do be prepared for chewing and lots of energy. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had both Labradors and Golden retrievers in my life. Congrats to having the opportunity to enjoy a new dog.
I recently acquired two puppies at five months of age . I had forgotten how much work puppies require but quickly adjusted my routine to raise these boys.
It will take several weeks for the puppy to adjust to your home. Some quirks will be so obvious and other issues will pop up over time. I would not assume that the puppy is completely house broken . My two boys took months to house break with one loving to chew on any wood especially the window moulding. He only nailed it twice in my presence and I Always crated him for months until I was positive he was no longer a wood chewer.
I enrolled in a puppy obedience class which forced me to do the basic training . I exposed them to as many people as possible in many different activities. { both puppies had separate puppy school classes and separate outings}
Going from an adult dog back to an energetic puppy means changing your mind set and having patience.
I would take a walk around the house , yard, and garage to make sure your puppy is safe. That tiny whole under a fence was never an issue with an adult dog but a puppy can dig and be gone in seconds.
A daily walk not only takes out the energy, gets you fit but gives them the socialization and exposure they need .
The forum has a page listing all the things a puppy should be exposed .
If anything don't be lazy and spend the time needed to raise a new family member.
Enjoy your new pup and smile when you see you may be more fit

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions! I've confirmed that the breeder has been engaged and all is clear for us to take him into our home. The breeder has been researched and has great reviews online and social media.

He has been trained and knows basic commands sit, stay, down, etc. He's house broken and uses a bell on the door to notify the current owner when he needs to go out.

He is not crate trained yet so we will need to work on that.

We are meeting the pup today and plan for him to stay a night or so first to see how things go. They're such a good breed and I think he will do just fine with the adjustments.

Wish us luck and keep the suggestions coming!
My puppy is four months. She is very active and loving, bites (not hard) and jumps on me, piddles when strangers pet her or she is over-excited (like when I picked her up after boarding), still pees in the house sometimes, pees about every 30 minutes, so be ready! Now, I understand this pup is older, but just be ready. And my golden LOVES her crate. I highly recommend a crate with a cover. I got a big one from Amazon that came with a pad, cover and bowls. I’m not sure how similar labs and retrievers are, but they are very different from my rough collie! I absolutely love this dog! I think she will mature into a wonderful pet, but they seem slower to mature than my rough collie was. She is learning commands (off, sit, down, up, come) and she is very smart. I think she is willful too, but not in a mean or aggressive way. A bit stubborn. She will outgrow it. Best of luck! M-

21 - 33 of 33 Posts