Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
I’m 56, just retired last November. We lost our Lab in March, and finally felt ready for another dog. We got our Golden pup two weeks ago. He is six months old and very calm and sweet and has excellent house manners.
We have had a bit of a learning curve with potty, because Buffett is so subtle about needing to go outside. So that’s been keeping me moving a lot to prevent accidents. Along with the usual walks and playing.

My job was fairly physical, but I will say that I’m ready to go to bed pretty early since getting the pup 😂 We had intended to get an 8- week old but we had the opportunity to have this sweet guy, and I’m actually relieved to have avoided all the young puppy work this time around.

My last dog was also acquired a little older at four months and rock solid potty trained from day one. So maybe don’t rule out an older puppy when you decide it’s time to fill the dog space in your lives.

· Registered
42 Posts
Thanks, getting an older puppy is something we had not considered. I have assumed that since most of the reputable breeders have waiting lists that we would have to take a puppy somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks not 6 months. I will be contacting our closest local breeder soon and discuss that with them.
My DIL is a hairdresser and one of her clients is a reputable breeder. DIL mentioned that we were looking for a pup, and the breeder had just decided to sell one of her pups, as some of his premolars are missing, so she would not be breeding or showing him.

So I suppose that it must happen occasionally. Best wishes in your search!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts