Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Please could you advise on what we should do if our puppy is attacked by another dog?

Today, our 8 month old was started on (the other dog stole my dog’s toy, but my dog just wanted to play with the dog). The other dog bit him (I think) as he let out a yelp (worst noise ever), but he didn’t bleed or anything. My dog did then sort of play with another dog after that incident. I should also add that on both those occasions, the other dogs came up to mine rather than him running off and over to them!

Just don’t want it to have lasting damage or cause him to become aggressive or fearful, as so far he’s the sweetest dog around others (even when they steal his toys :) ).

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
411 Posts
it might help to remove toys around other dogs so that the dogs can play and wrestle with each other, this also removes the tendency another dog might have to guard.

Its good that there was no blood, your puppy might have been startled by the other dog's reaction and let out the yelp because of it.

I'd advise finding & organising playdates with other dogs that you know your dog gets along with well.

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
I'm only guessing you are in a dog park? You can do a search on the forum about dog parks... not a good place to exercise your dog and certainly not a place to bring toys, balls or bones. You have no control over the other dogs in the park. Besides being exposed to many health issues your pup can pick up some really bad behaviors or in this case create some fear/social issues. Not everyone has a friendly dog.
As far as how to handle, I would stay out of the park! Find a daycare or a neighbor that has a friendly dog and arrange playdates. At this age the dog will move on past this negative experience faster than you will. Just go on as normal and find other places to be with your pup.

·
Super Moderator
3,672 Posts
I would like to recommend that you do the following:
1. Get a better understanding of dog body language.
2. Be proactive in heading off a bad interaction.
3. Learn how to break up a dog fight. I learned.
4. Don't let your puppy have this kind of experience, it could have long lasting effects.
5. Act like a pack leader so your dog does not lose confidence in you.
6. Follow the advice in the above posts.

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
I don’t go to dog parks (not sure they have them in the UK), this is just a big open field. Thanks
Good for you, like I said... just guessing. You might look for a place that doesn't have off leash dogs. You can only control the dog you own and it's up to you to keep the pup safe. Being in the company of other dogs may not be as fun as people think. We think they are having fun but if your dog is getting jumped on I'm pretty sure he's not having a good time.
Might try and find a safer place without loose dogs and keep the games with the toys between you and your pup. If your pup continues to be jumped it's possible for them to develop a fear of other dogs which can lead to dog aggression as they believe they need to protect themselves. You may not be in a dog park but you are in the same environment... It would still be helpful to search the post about dog parks and learn from others experiences.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts