Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of my adult children (who are not married and don't have any children) have jobs that don't offer health insurance and their income isn't sufficient to purchase it on the open market. As they aren't parents, they aren't eligible for the govt sponsored insurance for low income people.
Two of my adult siblings in their 50's are in a similar situation-they are self employed and their small businesses don't generate enough income to allow them to purchase it. One brother went back to school so that he could get student health insurance, the other brother is in poor health but can't afford to take care of his significant problems (no free clinics will do the surgery he needs).
How many of you have family in a similar situation?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm in that situation. I'm self-employed, single, no children and in my early sixties.

Even if I could afford insurance (last time I checked, a few years ago, it was over $800 a month with a $5000 deductable)....EVERYTHING is a pre-existing condition by my age and therefore not covered.

I cross streets v e r y carefully and do a lot of praying to stay in one piece until Medicare kicks in.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
The younger ones should be able to get insurance fairly inexpensively; unfortunately, if you're over 50 the price goes way up. I pay $320/month for mine (I'm 55), with a $1000 deductible, but it does cover free mammograms and papps. They might check into an HMO set up, which are often the least expensive option. When I was younger, I did without insurance for several years, but I was lucky/healthy and careful.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,734 Posts
The latest statistics show there are 14 million people unemployed, 49 million people without Health Insurance, both these figures are probably a lot higher due to under employment and those who have stopped looking.

My husband was self employed for many years, he didn't have enough employees to offer a group plan and several of his employees were covered under their spouses plan. We had to get coverage for ourselves and our son on our own privately, which we all know costs a small fortune. We were paying almost a $1000 a month for both us, $12,000 a year. Our son is now living on his own and has great coverage through his employer.

Each year our premiums have gone up-we always receive a letter stating our premium increase is not due to our claims or useage of our insurance, but due to all the other members that are covered. In other words, we are paying for people who use their insurance regularly and have large claims.

This year our insurance carrier offered another option, we now have a policy that barely covers anything, it was either this or drop our insurance completely, the premiums were getting too high, plus we were basically paying for something we weren't using.

We now are paying less than $250 a month for each of us, however we have another increase going into effect as of 1/1/2012, and we both have a $20,000 deductible, office visits are not covered under this plan and we no longer have coverage for proceedures that were covered under the old policy we had.

We both have many years to go yet before either of us are eligible for Medicare, we just hope we can stay healthy and nothing happens before then.

I just read an article that said more than 1.85 million people filed for bankruptcy in one year due to medical bills........... what's wrong with this picture????????

Sometime during the last year, 60 minutes did a report about families that lived in a small town were most of them had become unemployed due to a plant closing there. Several families had lost their jobs/businesses, lost their homes to foreclosure, and several had to sign up for Medicaid. The segment went on to say, that more than 50 million people are now on Medicaid due to the economy, most of them are Middle Class families that have never had to sign up for any type of Government assistance program before.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I have no health issurance my sons doesnt have any either. My son is very healthy but if something should happen he can get medical care through the reservation. It isnt the best care but if he should need to be transfered to a better hospital it would be covered. He gets dental too.

When I was working I still couldnt afford the health issurance way to $$$. I went to the dr over a year ago having heart problems. I found out I have the early on set of COPD. This is what both of my parents died from.

I figure destiny is already set in motion and I will live however long I am suppose to. If I should die BaWaaJige will stay with my sister and son unless $$ wise they cant take care of him then he will go back to the breeder. Vendetta she will be put down as I dont want anyone taking her on she has issues that only I can handle.

·
Davina
392 Posts
I am in this situation. My husband is a teacher. Not a large income at all with all the budget cuts going on. His school gives him insurance for only $14 a month. My children have health insurance threw the sate we pay $50 a month for all 4 kids. My husbands insurance threw his work for me to be on it is $400 a month with a $5000 deductible.... we can't afford that! So I have NO health insurance.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
My hubby was laid off in October. We both just lost our insurance. (I'm 23, he's going to be 27 early January) ... We had the insurance the year he worked at his great job, but didn't before. I've had a lot of testing and appointments this past year, and even with the insurance we are drowning in bills... We had a $3,000 deductible. When I see insurance paid for $3 of my $200 bill I sort of feel like...what's the point? :(

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Each year our premiums have gone up-we always receive a letter stating our premium increase is not due to our claims or useage of our insurance, but due to all the other members that are covered. In other words, we are paying for people who use their insurance regularly and have large claims.
I always see red when I read similar messages from insurance companies and other industries. What this sentence really means is they are increasing your premiums because they want even more millions in profit while denying other clients their claims and adding even more conditions to your pre-existing list. Argh!

I hope your family members are able to find affordable healthcare. In fact, I hope you are all able to do so. I have a few American friends with health issues that I worry about because of this very issue. I just thank God for our universal health care. It isn't perfect but I would have been a goner a long time ago without it.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I came across some old tax stuff from the 1990's-back before insurance companies got their finger in the pie. I had old checkbook registers and was looking at how low the dollar amounts were that we paid for dr and dentist visits.
Then because of the insurance companies, the doctor/dentists/hospitals had to hire extra staff just to deal with the insurance paperwork!
It isn't just the insurance companies, I don't think.
Dentist prices also skyrocketed with the AIDS epidemic/research showing it was blood that transferred the virus--so dentists had to put in all the expensive safeguards. People suing doctors also made Drs have to do excessive CYA stuff-not because they feel it necessary, but to prove (if there is a suit) that they looked at every possible option.

·
Registered
372 Posts
We are so lucky here in Canada to have Government paid for medical care! 3 years ago I was in the hospital for 2 weeks with accute pancreatitis.. My hospital stay didn't cost me a penny. God only knows what that would have cost me in I lived in the USA and didn't have a health insurance plan.
I don't pay for doctor visits, I don't pay for hospital visits (no matter what they have to do... even if I need major surgery), and I don't pay for any medications that I receive while in the hospital.

I just don't understand why so many people in the USA fight the implimentation of a national medi-care program. Almost every first world country has some form of medi-care... except the USA.

·
Ripley & Levi's too!!
720 Posts
My fiance has no medical coverage either. He is a union electrician and was laid off 26 months and could not afford cobra. So he ended up having a hernia and the doctors gave him a big break on the cost and was able to make monthly payments, still needed to borrow from his parents and he got most of it back at tax time last year. He has now been working and since he didn't take the cobra option he cannot have medical coverage through the union until he has worked 6 months but unfortunately he is getting laid off again on the 15th of December after working 5 months. What a racket!!!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
When I took my Personal Financial Planning class last semester, if Dr. White told us to never forget one thing about the class, it would be this; NEVER go without health insurance. When you don't have it is when something will go wrong.

I hope for the best for everyone, of course, that you are all healthy and stay that way.

I have insurance through my mom's work (she is a RN). I will only have it through age 25 or 26 (can't remember which one) then I will have to find my own insurance, unfortunately.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I was without health insurance for a year before I got into graduate school. I just... avoided doctors. I'm 26 so you'd think I wouldn't really need to see a doctor, but I unfortunately have multiple problems. I have health insurance now, but lol, I also have no money, so going to the doctor is really considered a luxury for me. My parents want me to get a physical because I've lately been having some neurological pain and have been suffering from chronic fatigue, and I know it's probably both related to my B12 deficiency, but ugh, I can't afford all the tests that I know would come along with it. My parents say they'd pay for it, but I feel like at my age I shouldn't be taking hand outs anymore so I say no.

It sucks when money issues have to get in the way of people's health.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,734 Posts
It sure does, unfortunately, in this economy, health and dental care have become a luxury that too many can no longer afford.

I don't know how the bill that was passed requiring everyone to have insurance can be enforced-if you don't have the money to pay for it or if you are faced with making the choice of buying Health Insurance or keeping a roof over your head or food on the table, what are you suppose to do???????

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I was without health insurance for a year before I got into graduate school. I just... avoided doctors. I'm 26 so you'd think I wouldn't really need to see a doctor, but I unfortunately have multiple problems. I have health insurance now, but lol, I also have no money, so going to the doctor is really considered a luxury for me. My parents want me to get a physical because I've lately been having some neurological pain and have been suffering from chronic fatigue, and I know it's probably both related to my B12 deficiency, but ugh, I can't afford all the tests that I know would come along with it. My parents say they'd pay for it, but I feel like at my age I shouldn't be taking hand outs anymore so I say no.

It does stink when health is contingent upon wealth.

I also think the dam is about to burst on senior Medicare, but this discussion might be bordering on going political so I won't go there.

Are you still in graduate school? It's been awhile since I've been in graduate school, but I was able to take advantage of the school clinic for almost everything. Maybe they've gotten rid of them in the decades since I was there, but they were basically free (built into tuition) way back then--makes me sound ancient. :eek::uhoh:

If you make it down my way I'll be happy to give you a B12 injection--I'm doing that for Toby every 2 weeks and he's survived...so far. ;) He's due tomorrow poor guy.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I'm in graduate school and definitely take advantage of student clinics!! I was working a psychology one, and the cost is part of tuition so anyone can make an appointment and come in.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
It does stink when health is contingent upon wealth.

I also think the dam is about to burst on senior Medicare, but this discussion might be bordering on going political so I won't go there.

Are you still in graduate school? It's been awhile since I've been in graduate school, but I was able to take advantage of the school clinic for almost everything. Maybe they've gotten rid of them in the decades since I was there, but they were basically free (built into tuition) way back then--makes me sound ancient. :eek::uhoh:

If you make it down my way I'll be happy to give you a B12 injection--I'm doing that for Toby every 2 weeks and he's survived...so far. ;) He's due tomorrow poor guy.
Lol, a B12 injection would do me good!

I'm in graduate school and I have used the school clinic for small health issues, but I still have to pay money for the prescriptions and the general check up. When I had a bad case of poison ivy I think I spent about $100 in medicines and doctors bills, which isn't a lot, I know, but for me it is.

Fortunately (fortunately?) I'm going to be in school for another 3-4 years, so I'll at least have some form of health insurance for the duration of that.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Lol, a B12 injection would do me good!

I'm in graduate school and I have used the school clinic for small health issues, but I still have to pay money for the prescriptions and the general check up. When I had a bad case of poison ivy I think I spent about $100 in medicines and doctors bills, which isn't a lot, I know, but for me it is.

Fortunately (fortunately?) I'm going to be in school for another 3-4 years, so I'll at least have some form of health insurance for the duration of that.
If you are ever driving through Dallas let me know. I'll meet you somewhere with my cobalamin and syringes....I've never given a shot to a human, only dogs with lots of fur. Instead of a lollipop expect a salmon chummy treat. :yuck:;)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Ya just give a quick jab in the arse!!

I give myself multiple shots during the day (sometimes at night) and the needles are so fine sometimes I can't feel it at all. Big improvement over what it used to be.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts