Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4 very long years of loosing my 3rd Golden I am finally looking to adopt a rescue. My breed genetics are towards a Golden Retriever, Australian Shepard, Border Collie and Collie(Lassie). I'm looking for a running partner :) I'm fine with a mixed breed of these genes also. With much searching and filtering I'm finding every dog that I am interested in is usually gone by the time I make application. It is a bit disheartening to have to go through this when the effort is made to find a suitable rescue. I have been using a popular pet search engine which basically serves as a host to smaller rescue organizations. I have also used smaller scope searches for my gene preference. Any tips on honing in my search would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward the next chapter in this crazy novel I'm writing. in the long term, I plan, I hope to have the rescue set me up for a Golden puppy in a year or so (breeder waiting lines).

dlm ny country

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,676 Posts
I used to help with a GR Rescue in my State years ago.

Some Rescues have a wait list of approved adopters and usually recommend when someone is interested in adopting, to go ahead and submit an application, go through the adoption process to be approved, then be placed on a wait list for a dog that matches your lifestyle and what you're looking for in a dog.

The GR Rescues do a great job matching the dogs with the adoptees.
Many of the GR Rescues have more dogs in Rescue than what is posted as being available for adoption. Generally this is because some of them may be undergoing medical treatment and once completed and cleared medically, they are then listed on the website as being available for adoption.

If it were me, I'd submit the adoption application, go through the process, get approved and be placed on a waitlist.
Let the Rescue know what you're looking for in a dog, when one matches with what you're looking for and your lifestyle is available, you will be contacted first.

Approved applicants are always contacted first before individuals applying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Find a rescue that has a good reputation and fill out an application so you can get preapproved. Most have a waiting list of approved adopters. A good rescue will do their best to match a dog with the best family and often a dog will not even get listed on their website. Good luck finding a wonderful new dog!

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I volunteer for a rescue and due to COVID and everyone wanting to adopt a dog right now, the wait list is over 200 people. And there is a process of doing home visits and vet checks. This all takes time. The more flexible your requirements, the better chance you have of adopting sooner. We try to match the home to the dog and vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
I totally agree with the suggestions thus far.
This is how I adopted my GR.
Made an application to my regions GR rescue. Was politely told it could be a long wait as long wait list of prospective adopters.
We waited, almost 3 months later, we were contemplating a different breed rescue with dogs available.....then we got the call from the GR rescue saying they had a young GR for us. 🥳
We had leap frogged over other people on the waitlist as the rescue thought we were the best people for Teddy’s needs.
So always good to put in an application and outline your situation clearly.
Good luck, hope you get lucky soon.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I might have a chance at rescuing an 8 month old female golden doodle that has been abused. A sad story but a rescue is the ultimate goal here. Anyone familiar with the "designer" breed?
TIA
dlm ny country

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh wonderful good news.
I know you live in the US.
But I also applied to a doodle rescue charity in the UK before I got Teddy.
Doodle Trust.
They have a very informative education section on their website. Info about coat, diet & nutrition and other helpful info.
Click on the purple writing it usually takes you through to another page with more detailed info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts