Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Last week I received a lot of great advice and I am seeking help for a dilemma I am now facing. When I began my search for a new furry pal, I had thought of going the adoption route. I was looking for a puppy or young golden that needed a new home b/c the owners couldn't take care of it for whatever reason. During my search, I got really discouraged and decided to just purchase my own from a reputable breeder. Which I found last Mon. and am sooo excited about. However, last Wed. I was contacted by a family that would like for us to adopt their 16 week old golden. They love him very much but, the husband is not taking to him b/c he is still mourning the loss of his own dog who died in Sept. This golden has been to puppy school, is crate & potty trained, and is being taught through positive reinforcement. The owners will give me the vet records, puppy obedience records, and AKC papers. However, I am hesitating now b/c I have done alot of research and received alot of advice about purchasing a golden. I know now that goldens are prone to having hip problems. This puppy was bought from a Mennonite family in Jennerstown, Pa who has only bred their dogs once a year. The puppy is AKC registered but the parents do not have clearances. Although the owners were given 10 days to get the puppy checked, they didn't. Also, he received his shots from an open vet clinic. A big part of me just wants to go with the breeder I have found b/c I know I will get a great golden w/ all the clearances. But another part of me remembers what I desired in the beginning. I don't want to make a mistake b/c we already lost a dog once but, I also know that there are no guarantees in life. If anyone could please help shed light on this decision, it would be much appreciated. I am possibly seeing this puppy this Sun. The one I will purchase from the breeder will not be until May. Thank you!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,496 Posts
This is a tough decision! If you go to see this puppy, if it were me, I know that there was no way I wasn't coming home with him. lol

A puppy from a breeder like the one you chose will be great because you'll have that person for guidance and support for the life of the puppy. With the other puppy, you won't have this.

With this new puppy, you'll have a puppy and won't have to "wait around." That is nice. You'll have a puppy fix ASAP! :)
(But- did you see the SNOW we got this morning... certainly makes you think twice about potty training right now!)

Having clearances on the breeder's dogs certainly gives you better odds at having a healthy puppy, but it is possible that there may be some sort of health problem. As we've seen with member's dogs whom have ED and HD from OFA cleared parents.

I hope you make the best decision for you and your family. Good luck! :)
 

·
In the Moment
Joined
·
20,515 Posts
I think your answer lies in your heart... and your head. I know I would love to have a well bred golden, but I also know our house will always have rescues. If you decide not to take this puppy, please try to get the owners to release him to a golden retriever rescue group.... not just dump him at the shelter. Please keep us up to date on your decision.
 

·
Missing my Boys...
Joined
·
3,980 Posts
Melissa,
Our first dog was from a breeder and he is now 11 about to be 12, 2/3/10. Dylan
After getting Dylan we wanted another dog close to his age so they could grow up together, but we wanted a rescue. Well, that is how we got Bobby, we had him for 8 years before hemangio got him. The years we had with him was heartwarming and filled with love all the way around. We now have two other rescues Frankie & Erica, we got Frankie at 7 years and Erica also was 7.
Rescues are challenging at times but they don't know what it is like to have a humane touch and love them unconditionally, it takes time but is well worth the extra effort that goes into a rescue.
We will always go the rescue way, but having Dylan as a puppy also was a lot of fun, we would argue over who would get up to let him out , we both love to have his paws around our necks so sometimes we both would get up and eventually he ended up in bed with us. They definitely know how to work you!
Follow your heart, maybe you could do both of them.
Good Luck, with your decision,

June
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,638 Posts
My opinion comes from a die hard rescue person, so take it for what it's worth.

I do understand your desire to stack the deck in your favor, and the odds will be better for a healthy puppy from the breeder you picked, but as you said there really are no guarantees in life.

This puppy is here now and needs a good home before the owners dump him at a shelter or worse. You can give him that home and have years of love and companionship, and he is still young enough that you will enjoy the puppy hood.

And, you originally wanted to adopt a rescue who would have no background.

If it were me, I would take the 16 week old. As I said though, I am a die hard rescue person, so a puppy needing a home now will always take precedent over a breeder puppy not even here yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,565 Posts
I'm going to take a different route. I have not seen anything to indicate the owners, whose family apparently loves their puppy, are going to drop him at a shelter, or abandon him. If the puppy is only 16 weeks old, they have only had him for about 2 months. If they have the puppy for longer, Dad may very well come around. It takes time to mourn a lost companion, and time to be ready for a replacement.

I can't help but wonder if they are experiencing buyers remorse, having bought a puppy from a BYB (at best) and more likely a high volume breeder who does no health or breeding checks.

Are they selling the puppy, or are they more interested in finding him a good home? I am always a skeptic, and would want to check all the vet records, etc. before even looking at this puppy :) I am just suspicious about their reason for wanting to place a puppy who has only been with them for 2 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,753 Posts
I think you should go and met the pup on Sunday.

Buying a pup from a good breeder who has done all the clearances does stack the deck in your favor but like you said, there are no guarantees. I have only ever adopted dogs, both pups and older, and I've never regreted having done so. All my dogs settled in wonderfully and everyone thought I had the older dogs from puppyhood.

In this case, you get the pup you want and this pup (who is potty/crate trained!)needs a home. Either way, please do as Penny and Maggie's Mom suggested and encourage the current owners to give the pup to a Golden rescue if they can.

So, what are you going to name your Golden boy on Sunday? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much! You all make very valid points! From what they tell me, they don't want to give the puppy (Kirby) to just anyone. In the beginning of Jan., I had posted an ad in Craigslist stating that I was looking for a golden puppy. I completely forgot about the ad because I wasn't getting any responses until last Wed. when Kirby's owner contacted me. Which threw me for a loop b/c I had finally found a breeder who was more than just about breeding goldens. I can see that this breeder would be involved in her puppies lives even when they leave her home which I love. I don't mind at all waiting until April/May for her puppies. I believe it will be worth the wait!

But, I just don't want to turn my back on a golden. Kirby's family doesn't give me the impression that they would abandon Kirby b/c they said if for any reason I didn't want him, I could bring him back. If anything they have been delaying the process of letting him go b/c the wife and daughter really want to keep him. Kirby has his last day of puppy school today and the wife really wanted him to complete it. I could tell through our conversations & email that she truly loves Kirby and doesn't want to let him go.

My husband did say we should go see Kirby Sunday and to make our decision from there. I do appreciate all your advice b/c my heart and head are in a definite battle!
 

·
Where The Bitches Rule
Joined
·
6,429 Posts
First off if you go and see this pup there is no doubt you will come home with him. Trust me and the others who have stated this, I can tell by your posts here there is no way you will walk away from it. Now that is not a bad thing, just a fact. So unless you are sure I would not go visit.
As to what you should do, that is a tough one. As you stated in the beginning you stated yor intention was to go the rescue route. But after researching you decided that really was not the best way for you to go in your situation. And that is fine, no need to feel bad or guilty, not everyone is a good fit for a rescue. And this 16 week old is not your responsibility unless you decide it is.
Are you going to second guess your decision two years down the road if the pup has some problem (which ever pup you decide on)? If you think you might I think you need to do more research and give more thought on the matter before committing either way.
There is no right or wrong decision, only the one that is best for you and your family's situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off if you go and see this pup there is no doubt you will come home with him. Trust me and the others who have stated this, I can tell by your posts here there is no way you will walk away from it. Now that is not a bad thing, just a fact. So unless you are sure I would not go visit.
As to what you should do, that is a tough one. As you stated in the beginning you stated yor intention was to go the rescue route. But after researching you decided that really was not the best way for you to go in your situation. And that is fine, no need to feel bad or guilty, not everyone is a good fit for a rescue. And this 16 week old is not your responsibility unless you decide it is.
Are you going to second guess your decision two years down the road if the pup has some problem (which ever pup you decide on)? If you think you might I think you need to do more research and give more thought on the matter before committing either way.
There is no right or wrong decision, only the one that is best for you and your family's situation.
Well said! Those are my sentiments exactly! I don't want to look back a year or 2 years from now & have regrets either way. When I was going the rescue route, I would have hesitations b/c there wasn't any history on the pup/dog. That was important to me b/c I have 4 children that I have to think about and didn't want an aggressive dog. Also, who the dog's breeder was didn't matter to me at the time. But the crazy thing is, I know Kirby's history but not enough of the breeder (which is now equally important for me to know). Did I research having a golden retriever too much to the point where I now have information overload and technically seeking perfection?:doh: B/C I know I am not perfect and my husband is still keeping me around;)

I do agree that I need to make a decision b/c I more than likely won't walk away Sun. empty handed:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,565 Posts
Before you visit on Sunday, will they give you permission to talk to their vet about the puppy? Just to make sure there aren't major problems you should be aware of-not little things like coccidia or worms, but major problems. So far, everything you know about this puppy, is coming from the current owner, who does have a vested interest in making him sound great. Not that he might not be, but I'm just saying. Because I agree-once you see that puppy, he will be coming home with you :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,565 Posts
Actually, I would ask to talk not only to the vet but to the trainer at the puppy classes as well. That way, you will have some history to go on that is more than just the owners say-so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Before you visit on Sunday, will they give you permission to talk to their vet about the puppy? Just to make sure there aren't major problems you should be aware of-not little things like coccidia or worms, but major problems. So far, everything you know about this puppy, is coming from the current owner, who does have a vested interest in making him sound great. Not that he might not be, but I'm just saying. Because I agree-once you see that puppy, he will be coming home with you :)
I agree I should talk with the vet..the only thing is they took him to a open vet clinic to get his shots & check up. They have the copy of his vet records. They did visit a vet for their dog who passed away. Just don't know why they didn't take Kirby there in the first place rather than an open vet clinic.

Also, I like the idea about talking to the trainer. Thank you! Hopefully, I will get in touch with Kirby's owners to get all this info. before we visit. I just left a phone message with them.

Thank you again for the great advice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,451 Posts
I just would like to chime in with my experience. I was in the same situation as you are, 4 1/2 years ago. I have had dogs my whole life, and lost my beautiful Golden boy Jake to Lymphoma right before his 6th birthday. I knew I wanted to search for the "perfect" breeder for my female, as I wanted the lineage, clearances, etc., that I had researched for so long. I finally decided on a breeder, after a year of searching. While waiting for my puppy,(Lexi) I was online and from a Dalmatian Rescue, somehow the picture and story of the most beautiful boy, with eyes that would touch your soul looked back at me. I just KNEW immediately, he had to be mine! I never had looked on a Dalmatian site in my life, and knew it was meant to be! My Brody was 18 months at the time I first saw him. He now is my heart dog...the love of my life, and we love each other so much! I am so blessed each and every day, that this very special guy chose me as well, to be his Mom! I wouldn't trade him for the world! The only difference is, I brought my Lexi home, went on to train her, get all her clearances, and have two litters of gorgeous puppies before having her spayed. She also gave me my wonderful boy Klondike, who was two in November. I couldn't feel any more fortunate to have my three!
I wish you the best in your decision! If it were me, I would go see this special guy on Sunday, and if the connection is there, you will know that right away! Please let us know your decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just would like to chime in with my experience. I was in the same situation as you are, 4 1/2 years ago. I have had dogs my whole life, and lost my beautiful Golden boy Jake to Lymphoma right before his 6th birthday. I knew I wanted to search for the "perfect" breeder for my female, as I wanted the lineage, clearances, etc., that I had researched for so long. I finally decided on a breeder, after a year of searching. While waiting for my puppy,(Lexi) I was online and from a Dalmatian Rescue, somehow the picture and story of the most beautiful boy, with eyes that would touch your soul looked back at me. I just KNEW immediately, he had to be mine! I never had looked on a Dalmatian site in my life, and knew it was meant to be! My Brody was 18 months at the time I first saw him. He now is my heart dog...the love of my life, and we love each other so much! I am so blessed each and every day, that this very special guy chose me as well, to be his Mom! I wouldn't trade him for the world! The only difference is, I brought my Lexi home, went on to train her, get all her clearances, and have two litters of gorgeous puppies before having her spayed. She also gave me my wonderful boy Klondike, who was two in November. I couldn't feel any more fortunate to have my three!
I wish you the best in your decision! If it were me, I would go see this special guy on Sunday, and if the connection is there, you will know that right away! Please let us know your decision.
Thank you for chiming in!!!! It helps to know that you were in a similar situation and which crossroad you decided to take. I agree that I will know if there is a connection once I meet him. Thank you again! I will keep you all posted!:wavey:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,164 Posts
I try not to go the rescue route with puppies. Since you usually don't know anything about the parents with a rescue, you're pretty much going into it blind as far as how health and temperment will turn out. You just can't tell enough from a young puppy about how they will turn out as an adult. I have rescues, but always go for a little bit older dog when rescuing. When going the puppy route, I want the background knowledge that I get from purchasing from a good breeder.
 

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
Joined
·
8,017 Posts
I would never buy a dog from a breeder when there are so many in need of rescue. That is my personal bias, and it's a strong one, I admit. My golden boy Toby, who was adopted from a humane society with absolutely no background information, lived to be 15. He finally succumbed to arthritis in his hips, but no he didn't have hip dysplasia. So not all rescue dogs have health problems. Good luck with whichever route you pursue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
hmmm...tough call...i think i'd try to talk to the vet...i'd also be interested in talking to the Mennonite family about their dogs and in case they have some history on any of their past litter pups...without any glaring health issues, i think i'd go for the rescue pup...after all, all pups need good owners/homes and that was your first instinct...and there are no guarantees - clearances or not. and it surely is a leg up that the rescue pup has a head start on training. good luck whatever you decide.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top