Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Over the past couple of weeks or so it seems our golden retriever has become teenager, at least that's what I'm hoping it is. He seems like he's always got ants in his pants and is having mad moments in the house... there has been a couple of occasions when he has gone straight into furniture and today he smacked his head straight into the piano and I don't want him hurting himself! He is so strong, I was trying so hard to catch him as was my partner but he then bit me out of frustration!!

I'm against castration and my breeders contract is against it anyway. I've heard from lots of places that this doesn't change behavior anyway. However, my trainer/behaviorist is saying it's naive for my breeder to put such a clause in our contract as our pup is struggling with certain behavioral issues that she feels is due to his raging hormones and suggests if castration isn't an option to consider a chemical implant.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
298 Posts
You were trying to catch him? Sounds like a game he was playing.
Do you have a yard to take him out and let him run? Ball?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You were trying to catch him? Sounds like a game he was playing.
Do you have a yard to take him out and let him run? Ball?
No this starts without anyone trying to catch him and it seems more like a frantic thing than anything else. It's like he's worked up before it happens. We tried to catch him after he hit his head.

Yes we have a yard for him to play in and he does play, I also run with him for short bursts on walks. He gets physical and mental stimulation.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
At his age, he needs much brisker exercise than just walking. Can you find a safe place for him to really run and get robust exercise. 20 minutes of fetch, frisbee or running with another dog would really improve his behavior.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At his age, he needs much brisker exercise than just walking. Can you find a safe place for him to really run and get robust exercise. 20 minutes of fetch, frisbee or running with another dog would really improve his behavior.
He does get brisk exercise but I could always up it. The only issue I’m having I’m still working on engagement as I’m having issues with him trying to run away from me and he’s frantically grabbing twigs, leaves, grass, stones you name it out in the garden which is dangerous. Then if I puthim on a long line he seems to get his legs tangled whilst running. When he’s out it’s like he’s instantly over stimulated. Any advice for this? Also the only way I can work with him is if I had feed him but I’ve heard feeding whilst runningis a bad idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  • He needs much more exercise than the walks, he needs to able to run-play ball, go swimming, any type of aerobic exercise.
    I know the post didn’t make it obvious but we do also do more exercise with him than walking. He also goes swimming but due to COVID the pool is shut & we don’t have a lake near by.

·
Puddles
3,662 Posts
You mentioned a trainer... how much training time do you do? Sometimes using his brain to figure out a new task can wear them out too. Not just a puzzle type toy but working on something with you. Scent work maybe? Frisbee to help learn a formal retrieve? There is always something, even if it's just giving a high 5 or rolling over on cue. When we did pet therapy there was a corgi that would sit up and fall over when the owner pointed her finger gun and said bang. The kids loved it! kikopup has some quick and fun videos on lots of thing to teach. Keep it fun and wear him out. Some goldens just require more work than others... depends on the breeding. FWIW my girls have flipped the sofa over during a zoomie run. The puppy didn't do it but the 60 lb 4 yr old that was chasing her did! Then she lays on the pup and makes lots of nasty sounds to tell the pup this is not acceptable indoor behavior.
If all else fails keep the pup on a leash when inside... tethered to you. It's much easier to prevent the behavior than to stop it.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Back to your original question, I have never heard of a chemical implant but personally I would not give my dog chemicals or hormones for behavior issues and would probably drop a trainer that recommended that. Maybe tested medication for anxiety or calming sprays and herbal type calming aids but still for anxiety not exuberance.

·
Premium Member
18,012 Posts
Zoomies! Totally normal, happy puppy running excess energy off. Don't try to stop the zoomies, he's having fun. He really needs to do it outside in a fenced area. He needs much more aerobic excercise outlet for his energy. Do you have a fenced yard? If not, maybe you can find a friend with one or find a field somewhere he can run in.

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
I don't think its a hormone problem at all, he just needs more to burn his energy in order to be calmer indoors. you can work with him multiple times a day- short training sessions 10 minutes each time. eg: practice until he can hold a down stay for 10 minutes without moving. Get a bunch of things like snuffle mats, lick mats, treat balls as well as kongs to keep him stimulated throughout the day.

Everything you do daily can be a training opportunity. I keep treats on my desk while i'm working and do recall throughout the day randomly with my pup, thats something you can try?

Right now the world is much more interesting for him, all the sticks and twigs etc vs you. so find a way to make yourself the object of his focus to engage him & retain that engagement. reward the attention he gives you with lots of tasty treats, teach him focus etc.

·
Premium Member
18,012 Posts
Maybe I missed it---How old is your puppy?
In the title of the thread:
10 Month old puppy is smacking into things and going crazy daily!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think its a hormone problem at all, he just needs more to burn his energy in order to be calmer indoors. you can work with him multiple times a day- short training sessions 10 minutes each time. eg: practice until he can hold a down stay for 10 minutes without moving. Get a bunch of things like snuffle mats, lick mats, treat balls as well as kongs to keep him stimulated throughout the day.

Everything you do daily can be a training opportunity. I keep treats on my desk while i'm working and do recall throughout the day randomly with my pup, thats something you can try?

Right now the world is much more interesting for him, all the sticks and twigs etc vs you. so find a way to make yourself the object of his focus to engage him & retain that engagement. reward the attention he gives you with lots of tasty treats, teach him focus etc.
So this zooming and smacking into things has started out of the blue... he's started doing it all of a sudden and he IS getting time to run around in the garden. I decided to let him out in the yard a little longer for his runs today and have upped his walks a little but he's still panting like crazy and whining all the time inside.. it's almost like he's over stimulated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Following on from what everyone has said yesterday although he is getting time to run around and let off energy outside including games we play together we upped the time outside. He's still displaying the same behaviors and it's always like he's super ramped up when he is outside. I'm sure he's over-stimulated but if I'm being told he needs more time to run around yet his run around time is over stimulating him how can I work on this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I've also been hand feeding and rewarding engagement since he came home with me, his recall we have been working on since he was young. We were the people in training class who were cornered off because my dog was barking and trying to get to the other dogs all the time whilst all the other dogs were chill...

·
Puddles
3,662 Posts
This is classic teenage golden behavior. When you say he has outside time are you doing anything with him or just putting him out in the yard. The reason I ask is when my girls go out... and yes they can play, but they don't. They lay on the porch and wait for me to join them. As far as recall, see if this gives you some ideas.
You might call your breeder (if they are close enough) and see if she has anyone your dog can spend an hour playing with a couple of times a week. Once you can drain all the pent up energy you will see a very different dog. I know this is frustrating but with a bunch of work on your part, it gets better.
As far as class it sounds like he just wants to play and a better trainer will help you learn to get his focus vs. moving you to the side.
As far as "suddenly" most of this change is age related. Lots of people post the same problem and it usually arrives around the 9 to 10 month age. It's just one of the many stages of puppy growing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts