Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I just introduced myself in the other area, but I'll give you a little background here:
We have four skin kids, two rough collies and a cat. One of our collies is 2 and he's a retired show dog, the other one is a rescue from Taiwan. Both are great with each other, great with the kids (our rescue has a bit of a chewing problem, but we're working on that). So, my veterinarian breeds goldens and she may have a 7month male in need of a home. He was placed, but the lady is returning him b/c she doesn't have the time for him. I am considering bringing him home...but I just wonder if I am taking too big a chance on having three male (neutered) dogs in the house? What do you all think? I've never had three at one time before. We've got a large home and a very large fenced yard. I'm a stay at home mom during the day and I work at an emerg vet 3 nights a week. I wouldn't want to put too much stress on my boys or on the new dog either. Thanks for any and all help!

Heather

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
How are your collies with other dogs? Do they like playing? I don't really think having that many males would be a problem. I've heard of more fights between females than males. Personally, I think the golden would have a BLAST playing with your doggies! And if your doggies like playing with other doggies, they would have fun too! Can never have too many friends! :D

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Welcome...others will have more to say but I think neutered males together get along pretty well. We have two, but Murphy is still a baby. If your two collies get along well with other dog I would at least try to have a play date with the golden and see how things go. Good luck!!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
We watched a friend's dog for two months (she was a female, not spayed) and my two had a GREAT time with her! Mojo (my male) liked it because Maxie (my female) and Lexie (the friend's dog) would play together and he'd have quality time with his Kong bone. LOL.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
We have 3 male neutered GRs in our house. I'm not going to say it was all easy at first. Our older male (who is 9) accepted both puppies quite readily but it was the 2 puppies who were the challenge. Honestly though, I think it was me who was the problem..not them. They are now almost 10 months and 1 year and get along fabulously. I too was worried about putting stress on our older dog (as he had just lost his best pal of 8 years) by bringing puppies into the home. He was really good ....but does get cranky at them when they jump on his head to say hello. They definitely don't like being separated from each other now.

Good luck with your decision!!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
He was really good ....but does get cranky at them when they jump on his head to say hello. They definitely don't like being separated from each other now.
Mojo gets cranky when Maxie walks on him/sits on his head and stuff too. I don't blame him though, LOL, she walks on me and it hurts! And no matter how cute her little tush is, I don't want it resting on my head!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks so much!! Both the boys like to play with other dogs. Ty our two year old, was raised with many other dogs, and Murray,our rescue was with another collie. I'm pretty sure they would be fine...now its just my husband I need to convince!!:)

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
thanks so much!! Both the boys like to play with other dogs. Ty our two year old, was raised with many other dogs, and Murray,our rescue was with another collie. I'm pretty sure they would be fine...now its just my husband I need to convince!!:)
Excellent!

You should "accidentally" leave a browser window open on a page full of cute golden pictures for him to see. ;)

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
i don't have 3 males, but I have 3 females, and females, IMO, tend to be much bitchier. I would think 3 neutered males would be just fine.

·
Kristy
9,916 Posts
:wavey: Mom of 4, please, please post some photos of your collies! I have been a collie lover since I read "Lad, A Dog" by Albert Payson Terhune as a kid... I grew up with Shelties but always secretly wished they were collies :) My dad's family had collies and "the" collie, 'Dawn' actually saved my dad's life when he was a very young child.

You know you will have to keep us posted on this one :)

P.S. If any of you on this forum haven't read "Lad, A Dog" it is an ABSOLUTE must for all dog lovers... Terhune wrote fantastic dog books, about his own dogs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I'm not great at posting pics...but they are in my avatar. I just got Ty back from the groomer and he looks amazing!!
So far, hubby isn't completely convinced...but we've been married for 13 years and there isn't much that he's said "no way" to, and thats including having a great dane in our apartment when we were first married!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts