Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The most novice
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see so many good action shots of all of your dogs! Does anyone have any tips for capturing these fast-paced pictures? What shutter speed works best?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
You want to know how to take action shots. For that you have to understand the combination of shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Also you have to know how your camera works. For example; I mostly use AF-C (nikon) Al servo (canon) for action shots.
Google and you will find lots of information.
And do you want to freeze the action or not.

Frozen : Shutterspeed 1/640

Not frozen (panning technique) : shutterspeed 1/25 :doh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see so many good action shots of all of your dogs! Does anyone have any tips for capturing these fast-paced pictures? What shutter speed works best?
It depends on the lighting conditions. I recommend buying a lens that has a wide aperture (opens wide) to let in a lot of light. I'm fond of my Nikon 50 mm prime lens.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Assuming you're wanting to capture a moving dog (action) without any special effects you need the fastest shutter speed possible. Higher ISO can also help but depending on your camera a really high ISO may yield less than optimal results. A "fast" lens can help but a lens that is too fast (i.e. 2.4 or less) might not give you the result you want because only part of the dog might be in focus depending on the angle you're taking the photo from.
What kind of camera are you using?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You want to know how to take action shots. For that you have to understand the combination of shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Also you have to know how your camera works. For example; I mostly use AF-C (nikon) Al servo (canon) for action shots.

Google and you will find lots of information.

And do you want to freeze the action or not.

Frozen : Shutterspeed 1/640

Not frozen (panning technique) : shutterspeed 1/25 :doh:

AWESOME, loved all these photos! Can't compete with my iPhone:(

Reactions: mddolson
1 - 6 of 6 Posts