Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum, thank you for the opportunity to learn from other golden owners. We lost our golden mix KC a few years ago after 16 years - a heart breaking night that brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it but we have moved on. After some coaxing from my wife I agreed to go look at another 8 week old puppy. When we got there we found there were two sisters - their mother died at birth. We couldn't choose so we took them both. We were told by other breeders not to do this. Anyway, they are so wonderful, now 11 months old. I am retired and take care of them full time. They only go in the crate at night or if they need a time out during the day.

The larger one, Karma has always eaten poop (I read the post from the lady whose golden does that) I am constantly taking something out of their mouth and I clean up the poop asap. My concern is this - I take them both for a long walk twice a day. Lately after the second walk around 6 pm Karma starts pacing the house. She will suddenly begin to run around the house and use the couch like a banked speedway. No matter if someone is sitting there, she runs across them. She acts almost wild. Tonight I took her out into the back yard (now all dirt due to them - no grass) and she started to run and buck like a horse. Exactly like a bucking horse. She seemed to want to play but started jumping on me and biting my shirt sleeve. They are ill behaved but Karma has just seemed to lose her mind. Does anyone know if this is a phase or is something wrong with her? Anyone please!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Sounds like "zoomies" and outside sounds like wild, hyper play... but hard to say without seeing it. Oh, you have a gray sandpit for a yard, too, huh? The joys of Florida soil... ours have destroyed the backyard!!

A lot of dogs get zoomies... crazy randomness at night!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I call my Sammy, "Mustang Sammy".. She likes to hold the long leash and pretend she is a wild mustang..Bucking and running circles around me just like a horse..She also gets the "Zoomies" in the house like that..

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Ahhhh...The puppy Zoomies or F.R.A.P.s (Frantic Random Activity Periods) Completely normal and I might add that they often happen in what my mom used to call the "Childrens Hour" right before supper. I haven't read on how to stop them so my only advise is to grab the camera and keep you knees bent. :D:p:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Yep sounds like she got the zoomies. I have learned to stay out of the way when they happen because Bama has knocked me out. Usually because Shelby is chasing him and he turns around to see how close and "BAMM" he hit me. All went flying.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Ours use to do that when she got out of the bath. We would warn everyone when the door was being opened. She would fly, throught the house, across the couch around & back again. If we would have been in the way she would have plowed us over.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
yes,like everybody says:zoomies.Enjoy the funnies moments with your camera.But do stay away.And let see the pictures!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
zoomies?

WOW, thanks, I was beginning to worry about her mental capacity. Please tell me this goes away after she matures some. It's funny to watch but she beats up on KD in the process and yup, she does not care who is standing there, she will take your knees out. You are correct about the Fl. grass. We had a beautiful St. Augustine grass yard pregoldens. Now we have the sand pit I described. You can imagine what the tile floors look like after only a few hours of cleaning. The zoomies, that's a great name for it. This evening when she does it I'll break out the camera and find a safe place to video. As you said, it's around dinner time but I feed them @ about 4PM so I can wait a few hours before taking them for their nightly walk - after the walk is when she looses it. I am so concerned about "bloat" when she gets crazy or that she will run into a tree. Thanks everyone, now I know I don't have to put her on prozac.:doh:

·
Mom to Fyodor & Gibson
1,303 Posts
WOW, thanks, I was beginning to worry about her mental capacity.
This made me LOL. DH and I am used to the zoomies and love them. But when we have non-Golden/non-dog friends visiting and they see the zoomies, they all get this worried look on their faces and ask if my dog is "ok."

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
At 18 months, Max still gets them - not every night, but quite as often. We just stand back and laugh at him. He always looks so happy when he's rampaging through the yard, up the hill, sudden turn, back down the hill, weeeeeeeeeeeee. And when there was snow? Oh, heavens, get out of his way!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found a cure for the zoomies. For the last few nights I have taken the girls to a park by the river (very large) where there are lots of smells and other dogs. I take them on two laps and they seem ready to go home. Came home and they passed out. The zoom hour passed with no activity. It is funny to see her so happy and silly but I just worry she may hurt herself on the furniture.

·
Jester & Piper's Mom
3,325 Posts
Ha-ha! Yes....FLEX YOUR KNEES! I've been taken out by a pack of 3 goldens in zoom mode. My tail bone hurt for weeks! :doh:

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I found a cure for the zoomies. For the last few nights I have taken the girls to a park by the river (very large) where there are lots of smells and other dogs. I take them on two laps and they seem ready to go home. Came home and they passed out. The zoom hour passed with no activity. It is funny to see her so happy and silly but I just worry she may hurt herself on the furniture.

I just found this thread, or I would have posted this suggestion earlier. If the zoomies are too intense or otherwise undesirable, exercise is the only known cure.

If you're getting them every day or particularly aggressively, it might also be that she's a little understimulated mentally and is acting out her boredom. Creating a game you can play together with just the two of you (e.g, fetch time for one girl at a time) could also help.

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
I just found this thread, or I would have posted this suggestion earlier. If the zoomies are too intense or otherwise undesirable, exercise is the only known cure.

If you're getting them every day or particularly aggressively, it might also be that she's a little understimulated mentally and is acting out her boredom. Creating a game you can play together with just the two of you (e.g, fetch time for one girl at a time) could also help.

I found Amber gets them when she is under exercised as well, such when its been pouring down rain for two days straight and we have little ability to walk. Even with in-house games like fetch and tug...etc she still gets them so I found by stimulating her mind it helps decrease them or at least the intensity.
I was watching a K-9 cops show one night where they showed how they train drug sniffing dogs.
Amber goes to work with me 4-5 days a week as a social therapy dogs on a residential campus/facility for young men. While she contributes constantly to their therapy in many many ways I was approached two months ago about wether or not I could train her to find hidden contraband on campus such as cigs or weed. This was brought upo only b/c she has a great nose and has found many hidden "staches" of food in the boys rooms one of the occassions it wsa brought up in our clinical team meeting which is where idea was brought up.
I figured if she can't do it at least she would have fun attempting it and it would give her something to work at on rainy days.
Two weeks ago I purchased "bait" cans from a k-9 webpage that sells items for training drug dogs. The cans have tiny holes on top and have a bait holder inside that holds the sample and the cans are lined with a barrier that will not retain old scents. I purchased five of them and purchased a bait bag for marijuanna(it only smells like weed but does not contain it) and I purchased some of the strongest smelling cigarettes I could find(Menthal generics). I do not smoke so I had no idea what to buy lol. I have been starting by taking two cigs and breaking them up inside a clean nylon sock and putting it in the bait can. I then put all five bait cans ont he ground and have her try to figure out which can has them inside. After a week of that I progressed to putting other scents in the four remaining tins as well to make it harder for her. Currently this is still the stage we are working in right now. LAter down the road I'll slowly work this way to the marijuanna bait bag and see what happens.
Amber absolutely LOVES this game and when she sees the silver cans come out she gets excited jumping around like a jackrabbit! The next step hopefully in two weeks will be to hide some cigs around the house to let her find them. I always give a small treat(steak right now) or high value when she gets it correct.
I brought this game up as you could easily make a similar game for your pup. Maybe hide a high value treat inside in one can(get some new unused pint sized paint cans and drill holes in the lids) and maybe a few less liked treats in the others. When she finds the "steak" she gets it. The other treats only get put back into the cans. Its funny how fast they get the idea of what it is you want them to do! Anyway, this may be a way to work off some of that boredome plus help train them for possibly using them for something fun and important down the road. If you or anyone else whats the site to buy the tools at that I use here it is: http://www.rayallen.com/category/Detector_Dog_Necessities I do have a website I used once before to order cans from and if I can find it I'll edit this post to include it. Its easy to see sometimes that if you can engage your dogs mind for a whole, it hlpes tire them out when they may not have other options at that time.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
One helpful thing is to realize how wistful you'll be about the zoomie days when they are 11 years instead of 11 months. . .

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Selka is almost 10 and rarely gets the zoomies now. I miss them.

The zoomies get less aggressive as they age but are so fun. : )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts