Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ace turned 6 months old on December 29! My boy looks so grown up now! He's definitely not the same little troublemaker I brought home all those months ago, but he still has his moments, haha.

A question though! Ace is pretty much done with his land shark phase, but occasionally he will put his mouth on me, particularly when I come home and he greets me with his excessively happy self. Is it normal for a 6 month old puppy to still get a little mouthy from time to time?

Other than that, everything is going swimmingly!:D And for those who recall my last thread when I asked about the jumping, we're working on it and there has been a lot of improvement! Last week I took him to the park and a little boy approached him, and Ace sat down and let him pet him! A month ago he would have knocked that poor kid over!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Happy 1/2 birthday, Ace!! It is still common for them to be mouthy. My 18 month old boy will sometimes still grab my hand when he can't find a toy and he's really excited. You can definitely reinforce and teach Ace to find a toy instead of grabbing a hand.

Practice makes perfect with the jumping. We allow Gibbs to stretch his legs and put his feet on our chest but we have a signal for it. He doesn't just do it when HE wants to do so. It helped when he was younger to always squat down to greet him and to turn our backs when he jumped up. That way he never was reinforced when he jumped.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Have a great 6 month birthday, Ace!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
He's lovely--just a really handsome boy! My Tucker was 6 months on 12/25. He's handsome too. And a lovable goof!

He does the same thing with the mouthiness. I think it's a dog way of greeting that just needs to be trained out of them. Tucker does it the most when he comes out of the crate in the morning and wants to say "hi" to everyone. Never bites, just mouthes us.

This picture was taken on Christmas day, with my daughter.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tucker is so handsome! And almost as big as your daughter, haha. Ace has now surpassed my 5 year old niece in size.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ozzy still get's mouthy at times at 9 months but will stop when I say no. Sometimes he grabs our hands with his mouth when he wants us to pet him. He gets SO frustrated he doesn't have hands!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts