Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you have tried accupuncture on your dog(s).
I am currently trying for my girl for an issue with her knee and am wondering if anyone has any advice, opinions, or experience.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
what's your girls trouble?

bumping this up cuz I think other people have used acupuncture for their animals.

acupunture results have been beyond fantastic for me & I'm glad my vet hospital utilizes it if my guys need tx.

post updates on her progress, please

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I started my senior on acupuncture and cold laser therapy when his orhtopedic vet said he could do no more. Copper would agitatedly trot on his front legs and do the frankenstein stroll with his rear legs. The ortho vet said there was a disconnect somewhere in his spine, but nothing showed up on x-rays.

He walked better on his way out of the office after his first treatment. It was very evident since his gait was so odd going in.

I spent my "lunch money";) getting him treatments weekly or more often for the last few months we had together. They helped him very much - he moved more normally and showed less pain.

GoldenCamper convinced me to try it.:smooch: I honestly thought it was voodoo or hoodoo, but Copper proved me wrong thank goodness.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your comments. Abby(7-1/2 yrs old) is swinging her left rear out sometimes, while walking-not when she trots or runs. Recently seemed to be a little more pronounced so took her to the vet and she ckd the cruciate "drawer" said it was ok. It could be a minor tear but she is not limping on that leg. Only way to confirm would be an MRI and we all know that's pretty expensive. Vet also noticed (when being exrayed for bladder stones), that she has some early arthritis in her spine. Since she was not limping, I got a recommendation from a friend about an alternative vet that practices Chinese med and does accupuncture and decided to give that a chance. Since beginning, I have seen an improvement with her leg - not 100% but better. She is also on some herbs for ligament and tendons. Abby also has had chronic bladder issues forever, so this too is being addressed by the accupuncture.
I plan on continuing, as I do think this is helping her leg, as well as her whole body overall! She just seems so much happier, livelier-healthier!!

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Me too Charlie has very wonky splayed back legs and spondylosis of the spine i tried it and it seemed to help her she fell asleep while it was been done.:D
I only stopped as the vet that did left the surgery.

·
Registered
926 Posts
When my now 4 year old was 2 years old he starting randomly limping on his right rear leg.
We went to several vets and an orthopedist and a torn ACL was ruled out. Our integrative vet did acupuncture and chiropractic adjustment and the issue cleared up. When I told the orthopedist that I was going to try acupuncture on him he said he had to admit that it helped for knee issues.

Where I live in IL some integrative vets now use laser treatments instead of acupuncture.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I have not tried it but I am contemplating it.

My lab had an FCE (neurological spine issue) a year ago, it was recommended we could try accupuncture to regenerate her neurological flow. She actually responded very well on her own so we did not go that route at that time. However, I also had a lot of conversations with folks when Teddi was first dx'd with HD that it could help with pain management. Teddi had to have a THR and that took care of her pain, but as she ages since she is still dysplastic on her other hip, I am still considering it. I want to keep her off NSAID's as long as possible. Both Teddi and my lab Belle have spondylosis (arthritis in their backs). Belle has been experiencing some pain left front, I assume arthritis. I may try accupuncture to see if it helps her. The only thing slowing me down is money. I was out of work for 6 months, just started back once we get back on top of our finances I may inquire.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
We did it on two of our horses about 15 years ago. It helped them tremendously. They would sigh with pleasure and go to sleep. Afterward they would walk freely and with a nice relaxed spine.

If Penny ever gets to where she needs it, I will do it whole-heartedly!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I cannot say enough about how much it helped my Toby. It really, really gave him back a lot of quality of life.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for your info!! It sounds very encouraging. I am going to continue and see how this all works out.
I am very fortunate to have found this Dr.!!! She is the most kind and caring I have ever had the opportunity to work with.
Will update as AbbyRose progresses!!:crossfing

Happy Turkey Day everyone!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts