Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phoenix is our 2 year 11 month old English Cream Golden Retriever. We currently have him on Acana Pacifica, which he was on before with no issues, but now it seems his stools are very soft, not watery, just more like a paste and he has developed areas of small pea size scabs, not hot spots, very odd, he seems to be his normal self with boundless energy and great disposition and I think I am more stressed than he is. Vet says goldens are more prone to allergies and could be numerous things but we fill him up with meds and subject him to numerous tests was wondering if anyone here has had this issue before? Before anyone asks, he is flea free and is washed with soap free oatmeal shampoo, am wondering if he is getting to much of the fish ? Would rather try med free remedies first

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Where are the scabs on his body?
Size of the scabs?
Are there bumps first that appear to be fluid filled that then turn into scabs?
What color are the scabs?

Microtek shampoo has a good reputation for helping itchy skin...

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
First I would check the ingredient label, compare an old label to a new one- looking for additions or deletions of ingredients.My goldens were doing super well for a long time,three years, on Orijen Regional Red. Then the 'powers that be' changed the ingredients,which I was unaware of because the package was the same- made 'improvements' they said. My dogs ended with dry fur, runny eyes and itching in a very short time span. An immediate switch to something very similar to the 'original' put them back on the right track.
I don't think it is ever a bad idea to try a different food, before going the 'medical route', if the one you are using is not working for your dogs. Over time dogs can develop 'sensitivities' to ingredients that they did fine on previously.

Reactions: raendan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will definitely check that, thank you so much! We had him on Orijin as a pup, then switched to the Acana, if there is a change may switch back, could you advise what you found to be equal to the original Orijin you had? Your photo could be our boys twin. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To LibertyMe: No fluid or redness, just dry around the edges and kind of flaky skin around it, located randomly, couple on back near tail and couple on inside thigh and upper belly by ribcage, nothing on face, neck, or tail itself and he is not itching them at all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts