Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acana grain free changed the bag and ingredients, at least the grassland. I also cannot find it's statement being ethoxyquin free as on the old bag. The Champion webite for Acana just says new formulas coming soon. I do not understand why they would not inform people before selling the new formula? I will have to call and see what they say, just hope it agrees with my dogs.

·
Oldie Goldie
79 Posts
I read some other forums, they said they got a statement from Champion Pet Foods that they test all there food to ensure there is less then 5 PPM of ethoxyquin in the food.

The FDA allows up to 75 PPM, a few vets commented and said 5 ppm won't have any effect of dogs. ToTW also tests to ensure less then 5 PPM.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
This is concerning since I've been feeding the Prairie Acana. We are in the midst of rotating on to Innova, but you can bet I'll be watching for further developments.

·
Chantilly Goldens
3,381 Posts
Hmm I have not heard anything about this. Is this the same for the original kibble (not grain free)??

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is my understanding from a breeder that has a close relationship with Champion that in the Grasslands formula Champion added fresh lamb as the first ingredient and also added fresh duck and russet potato. The Prairie Harvest formula also has added duck.

I do not know if the new formulas mentioned on the website are the changed list above or something else. I have left now 5 phone messages at Champion and 3 emails, if someone will call me back, I will pass on the information here!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
As of this am the website still states that all fish arrives fresh with NO preservatives and specifically states that it is ethoxyquin free.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It is my understanding from a breeder that has a close relationship with Champion that in the Grasslands formula Champion added fresh lamb as the first ingredient and also added fresh duck and russet potato. The Prairie Harvest formula also has added duck.

I do not know if the new formulas mentioned on the website are the changed list above or something else. I have left now 5 phone messages at Champion and 3 emails, if someone will call me back, I will pass on the information here!
I'm not too happy hearing that the Acana Prairie Harvest will or has added duck to its formula. It has been a really good formula for my two dogs' kibble rotation. I prefer the formulas to not be adding a lot of different meat proteins in one formula. Also, what is their source for the duck? I know a number of companies have to purchase it from China.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I would be shocked if their duck is anything other than local. They base their quality and uniqueness on the fact that they get their supplies from local sources fresh daily. Yes, this will important to watch as I rotate thru the Prairie also.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have an email out to Champion and this is one question I have asked. Once I hear back I will post here. I am feeding Pacifica so I want to make sure there has not been a change in it, but I also want to know what, if any changes have taken place in any of their formulas.

·
Chantilly Goldens
3,381 Posts
If they are adding duck (haven't heard that) I highly doubt it would be from a source like China. I always keep the ingredient list from an old bag and mark the date on it and then sporadically check the ingredients on the bags I buy after that. Its a bit of work but worth it to know for sure IMO.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
If they are adding duck (haven't heard that) I highly doubt it would be from a source like China. I always keep the ingredient list from an old bag and mark the date on it and then sporadically check the ingredients on the bags I buy after that. Its a bit of work but worth it to know for sure IMO.
REALLY good idea Ash.

·
Oldie Goldie
79 Posts
REALLY good idea Ash.
I had this concern in the past with the ingredients changing, I called Luke's All Natural Pet Food and asked them.

They said, you can't go by what's labelled on the bag, the companies run out the old bags, before switching the new formula into the new bags. You need to contact the manufacturer and ask them which expiration date has the new formula.

They will say something like, all foods with the expiration date greater then Dec 09 will contain the new formula.

·
Cheeky Curmudgeon
1,046 Posts
Acana grain free changed the bag and ingredients, at least the grassland. I also cannot find it's statement being ethoxyquin free as on the old bag. The Champion webite for Acana just says new formulas coming soon. I do not understand why they would not inform people before selling the new formula? I will have to call and see what they say, just hope it agrees with my dogs.
Do you have a picture or scan of the old bag listing the ingredients? The ingredients listed on their website currently is the formula of Acana Grasslands that I have in my kitchen.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The ingredients listed on their website is still the old formula; I don't know why they haven't updated their site. I sent yet another email to Champion last week and still have not received a reply. I am a bit frustrated that after 4 weeks, 4 emails and 5 voice mails that I can not get a return call or email. For such a great company, their customer service is severely lacking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never got a response to email and called the customer service like 20 times and it always goes to a person named Diana's voice mail. The new grassland ingredients seem to be fine with my dogs. I sent them another email stating I was disappointed with there customer service and why the still haven't updated the web site? Anyone ever get any response?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had been calling the toll free number and tried the local number 2 weeks ago. Someone answered and I told her that I have been trying to get in touch with someone for over 4 weeks. This woman apologized and said she would put my message right on Diana's desk. It seems Diana was busy interviewing a new customer service person as she gets over 100 calls a day. I still never heard from Diana or the nutritionist. I have given up as I have transitioned the puppy over now and have figured out most of my questions.

I am thinking of email and calling the CEO/owner and letting him know. I do still have a couple of questions I would like answered if possible. I have a few direct emails, so some of my emails have gone to individuals as well as through the website. I think 6 weeks is plenty of time to respond!!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I loved the Acana Prairie, but have rotated back to the Innova large breed until the dust settles with whatever this change is. Also, in our playbook is Fromm 4-star line.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Shoot, I just got a bag of Acana pacifica (grain free) this weekend. Not a good food after all? I narrowed my choices down to Acana, Natures Balance & Taste of the wild. The store owner said I could return it any time, should I? Should I have choose one of the others? I'm confused.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh no, it's a great food; it's the customer service that I have issue with. I know a breeder that received an email from her sales rep that there was a change in formula. For the Grasslands formula Champion added fresh lamb as the first ingredient and also added fresh duck and russet potato. The Prairie Harvest formula also has added duck.

I am currently feeding Pacifica to my puppy and he is doing great. We have solid poops for the first time ever and we have tried many foods!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Oh no, it's a great food; it's the customer service that I have issue with. I know a breeder that received an email from her sales rep that there was a change in formula. For the Grasslands formula Champion added fresh lamb as the first ingredient and also added fresh duck and russet potato. The Prairie Harvest formula also has added duck.

I am currently feeding Pacifica to my puppy and he is doing great. We have solid poops for the first time ever and we have tried many foods!!

Thanks for your reply. I've always thought a great food goes hand & hand with the companys reputation. So no worries with the Pacifica grain free formula?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts