Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Nott Scout's Mom ;)
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you know I have a puppy named Scout. He is believed to be a purebred golden. I had planned on going to a reputable breeder and getting my first (of many) golden retriever puppy. I had it all planned out. I had called breeders near me and narrowed it down. I had gone to homes to see the dogs and their living conditions. I was so close. Well my sister screwed it all up. She took me to Petland. I had just wanted to pick up some dog food. And as soon as I walked in I was handed a fluffy perfect creme colored golden. I fell in love. My first reaction was "I can't do this. I know that this puppy most defiantly came from a puppy mill. He probably isn't even healthy." But of course he seemed absolutely fine when I handled him and played with him, he was clean, and he even seemed well fed! I asked hundreds of questions:
Q:"Where do they come from?"
A:"We only get our pups from reputable breeders, they are vet checked, they have their shots, and they are even able to be AKC registered! We offer the breeders more than their asking price for the pups and they sell us them to sell in the store!"
Q:"Well is there anything wrong with him? Does he have his shots and is he wormed?"
A:"He has his first set of shots that were administered here and we worm all our puppies periodically. This chart here says he has been wormed 3 times since he came here."
So long story short after getting credit checked and (of course) getting approved I was more than enthusiastic about getting this little perfect furball who at this point had fallin asleep in my arms and snuggled up to me. I was in love.
So now after being in the store for 5 hours I have a ragging headache (my 2 year old niece was throwing a fit and those dang birds are just too loud) and I'm just so ready to head home so I can go to bed for work the next day. She starts handing me the paper work that is already filled out and ready to go. Lastly she hands me what looks like a prescription. I am HORRIFIED. "Oh he just has a head cold." Well its too late to go back now, I thought. "Just be sure to take him to the vet ASAP!" So I called off work the next day and my husband and I took him to the vet (It was their suggested one that they gave us the free visit to). She barley looks him over and says "Looks real good." That's it? And I give her the prescription. Diagnosis? KENNEL COUGH. UGHHHHHGHGGG?!?!?!?! I was furious!!! But I kept trucking because I am a stubborn young woman and I will make this pup healthy and happy. Well, we took him to our regular vet and low and freaking behold the meds they gave us are known to turn dogs adult teeth GREY!!!! Thanks for not telling us skevy vet that kinda would have been nice to know! Anyway its been 10 days and he still isn't better. They are talking about taking him in for breathing treatments and keeping him for a few nights. Just soooo much stress. And now after forking over $4000 on this pup already I call the AKC and find out that there is no way to tell if his parents have clearances or if he is even a purebred. And I know that probably makes me seem like and ass. I love mixed dogs too. I have a Border collie/Australian shepherd and a Lab/pit/domberman that I rescued. I LOVE my dogs. And I don't care if he is purebred or not at this point I've already fallin in love. I just don't like that I spent 2 freaking grand on a "purebred" golden. I mean I had noticed he was small. At 12 weeks he is 15 pounds. Half the size of some of the other goldens born around his same birthday. When I had got him at 9 weeks he was 10 pounds. So he has gained about 5 pounds in 2 weeks. And I can tell he has gotten bigger. I'm just sooooooooooo mad that I was lied to. Any idea what I can do? My hubby says he is going to go "rip em a new one" tomorrow. Like me he is just mad that I was deceived. I'm a younger woman (20) and I feel like I was taken advantage of. I have a kind heart. I know that I'm going to get 10000000 "petland....puppymills.....for shame...." just please be gentle. I've heard it enough already and I'm honestly just looking for some kind of support and advice. Thanks.

PS His eye isn't always like that we just caught him at a bad moment.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I only have sympathy for you. I know it's next to impossible to say no to a cute puppy once it's in your arms because that's how I got my mix puppy. I knew she came from bad people but I told myself I'd make her better. That's what you have to do now. Get that poor sweet puppy healthy and love him. It's not your fault that your emotions were taken advantage of. Regarding their promises that you can AKC register them and that they're purebred, did you get any of that in writing? If you did I would want to speak to a lawyer and get all your money back, or at least what you could. Not just because $2,000 for an unregisterable golden is ridiculous but also to make them think twice about trying to screw someone over with their lies.

If you want to see if he's pure golden you could always do a DNA test, but that won't make the situation much better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey, it's not ideal but it's not your fault! He was already born, and who knows what would have happened to him if you hadn't taken him on. I'm not judging you at all, you're only human and may have saved him from a bad life. Just gotta look to the future now, as you say you're in love with him already and I hope you have a happy and healthy life with him.

·
Mom to Oatmeal too!
503 Posts
Maybe you can file a report at the Better Business Bureau or post a review on Yelp to make people aware that they are deceitful and selling sick/possibly not purebred puppies. Not sure if much else can be done once you have the pup and they have your money. Pet stores that sell live animals other than pocket pets are just bad news. I can't believe they told you that the puppies are from reputable breeders though- such an outrageous lie since no reputable breeder will ever sell to a broker or pet store!

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
I won't tell you how bad the pet store puppies are since you're already going through so much but in trying to shut down a puppy mill I have learned a lot about them.
Are you saying you paid $4000.?
I really don't think you have any recourse at this point. These pits are pretty savvy when it comes to getting away with terrible things.
If it is kennel cough they should be able to get a handle on that pretty quickly. One of my dogs (Ky) had it and we spent over $500. but she was cured.

It is possible that Scout will turn out to be healthy and live a long life, you just never know. Bentley is from a puppy mill and I'm hoping for the best.
I'm sure the reason they can't give you info about the parents is because they don't know the parents.
I'm sorry you're going through this. I get so mad I could spit that this goes on every day and nothing is done to stop it. I have been in those stores and it's really hard not to buy those beautiful puppies but I know what goes on to get them to the store and it's not a pretty story.

Good luck, Scout is a real beauty. Maybe someone will come along with advice to help you out, I hope so. ♥

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
Your post kind of ran together when I was reading it. If I am correct, your 12 week old puppy has kennel cough, is slowly gaining weight, and may not be AKC register-able?

If I was in your shoes, I would focus on getting your puppy healthy. Kennel cough is a virus, so your puppy should have NO contact with any other dogs in your household as it is EXTREMELY CONTAGIOUS! No contact outside either. It is a virus, so if they want to do breathing treatments, unless there is some sort of magical medicine (i.e. decongestant, do they make those for dogs?) I would say no. If he is having trouble breathing, treat him like you would if you had a virus. Lots of fluids. Lots of rest. Sit in the bathroom and run the hot water to get a good steam going and let him breath that in. If he gets worse, for sure, see your vet. B/c at such a young age, things can escalate quickly.

Regarding his weight gain - since he is sick, I wouldn't worry about it as long as he is gaining weight. He will eventually gain all he needs, it might just take him a longer time.

Regarding AKC registration - the pet store should have provided you with AKC paperwork to register him, if he was sold as an AKC golden retriever. If they did not provide that, and it was advertised as such, for sure go back and get that straightened out. If you plan on doing stuff with your pup, you can still register it under the AKC PAL option (purebred alternative listing)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sometimes our hearts speak louder than our heads. It's good that you shared your story here for others to learn. It's a shame that people are so heartless. I would bash them endlessly on forums, yelp, wherever you can. That vet needs his/her license taken away. Makes me sick!

·
Thor's Momma
1,733 Posts
I'm sorry. No matter where he came from he deserves a good home and humans to love him. Good for you that you took him in instead of somebody who might not. Thor comes from a line of bad breeders breeding for his cream color. I didn't find this out until awesome people here researched his past. Had I known before I got him, I would have still taken him I was already in love!! Glad I did. He's my baby. I don't blame you for being deceived. I was too. It will fade and you will forget all about it and just be happy you have him :) I hope he gets well soon. Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
He is cute little guy and like someone already said concentrate on getting him healthy. I just feel so bad that you paid so much for him but that's neither here nor there. I would file a complaint regarding the AKC that appears to be untrue. the Better Business Bureau might be a start or do you have a State Department of Consumer Protection, if so they might be able to investigate the purchase.

Reactions: Nott

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Poor puppy and poor you. How is the baby doing with eating? Is he drinking plenty? His immune system is under attack, so feeding him a high quality food even with some nutrical puppy on his tongue before he eats is important. If the vet says it's okay, maybe a scoop of yogurt or benibac to balance the antibiotics with probiotics might help. If it is kennel cough, antibiotics won't help at all, except in warding off secondary infection because it is a virus. Try to see what the pups temp is on a regular basis, and keep an eye on his gums to make sure they are pink and wet. Keep him hydrated, and if you feel he isnt drinking enough, we can give you tricks for that. He has been extremely stressed in going from a litter to a pet store and to a new home, and he is lucky he has you! Keep him warm, keep a routine, everything to ease strain on him while he recuperates.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm sorry about your Scout. Thank goodness he has you to help him and love him. I hope with your love and help and some good veterinary care he becomes a happy and healthy boy.

·
Maggie runs Dad, admitted
802 Posts
First I'd say this, you can look on the cosmic side and say that he was meant to be yours, however it came to pass, YOU were the one that would love him and care for him. Maybe it was just meant to be.
Second I'd say.... Let's have the names of the organizations involved so someone searching the interweb may use your story as a cautionary tale. If you aren't comfortable posting it, please PM me and I'll do it, I haven't ever been sued and it might be entertaining while I tweet, Facebook, YouTube and blog them into a public relations nightmare.

·
Registered
73 Posts
On the plus side I can see why you fell in love with him right away as he's certainly adorable. Personally, if he's going to be a pet I don't see any need for the AKC registration unless it's something you just want to do for other reasons. If the store charged more because of this and didn't provide the paperwork then I'd go back to them for some sort of a refund. You might also be able to get your CC company involved if they won't budge on that aspect.

As others have said, the first order of business is to get him healthy. Once that's done all the rest won't really seem to matter.

In my case, my first Golden came from a local pet store when I heard an ad on the radio on my way home from work. They were selling the supposedly purebred puppies w/no papers for a local neighbor and my wife was very surprised when I walked in the door with Cassie. They had 2 or 3 as I recall (it was 20+ years ago) and I picked out the most active of the bunch. They were probably 12-16 weeks old at the time and we had a wonderful 11 years together before she passed away from cancer. I forgot to mention - I paid $20 for her and she was simply beautiful. To this day I miss her.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
I had a friend who bought an adorable long haired dachshund from pet land and had a similar experience - the puppy was not healthy and continues to have health issues (nothing major, though!)

My first guy was from a backyard breeder - I didn't know any better. I love my guy all the same.

Your little puppy is adorable. Focus on getting him well and putting pet land to shame.

·
Owned by Josie
1,206 Posts
My first two goldens were from backyard breeders and I wouldn't trade the time I had with them for anything. They both had health issues, but they were worth every penny. As so many have mentioned already, get your little guy healthy and start bonding with him. You'll give him a great home which he may not have had otherwise. TLC is the best medicine for your puppy. You can do it!

Reactions: MercyMom and Nott

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Nott

Nott

Now that he is yours, love him and take care of him.
My very first puppy, Mimi, a Bichon Frise, came from a pet shop and I loved her and she loved me!

·
Nott Scout's Mom ;)
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thank you for your support. I really appreciate it. He is doing a lot better. No more coughing and no more snot nose. He honestly seemed like a very healthy puppy the day I got him but he rapidly got worse. He is doing 10000% better now. He follows me everywhere. He sits outside the bathroom door and "talks to me". He is eating well and he is gaining weight. I am soooooo happy to have him. He is an amazing pup and I can tell he will be an even better dog. :)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
My Allie was from a bad breeder, but I had a wonderful almost 13 years with her and I wouldn't change it for anything. I am sorry your going through this but it sounds like this cutie pie needs you and couldn't be in better hands. God Bless

·
Registered
953 Posts
Goodness he is cute! Get him well, and turn the page. Lesson learned now...Make sure he has every chance of becoming a healthy happy dog. I too would document your experience with the BBB and any Ohio agency involved with the sale of livestock.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.