Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

What time is best to feed your puppy at night?

• 5:30PM

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • 6:00PM

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • 7:00PM

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 8:00pm

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Tulo's Mommy
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! This is my 1st post on this forum, as I have just found this site today, and find it to be very helpful! My husband and I are about to bring home our golden retriever puppy on November 13th, and I have been reading up and doing research on everything from preparing the home, to feeding schedules, to how to train the puppy.

First, let me tell you that I will be bringing home an 8 week beautiful (furry) baby boy, that is healthy and happy! My husband and I work M-Friday, me 9-5:00, him 10-5. I will be taking off that 1st week with the puppy, and have been in contact with many pet sitters that I would like to come over when we are gone, and have them with our puppy during the lunch hour time, so that he can eat/drink, play, and go to the bathroom. We are asking her to come for 1-hour, as then I think it will work out perfectly re him not having to hold it for to long. Here is what I am thinking, and please let me know if you agree, or have any suggestions, as this is the 1st time raising a puppy:

Morning:
*As we dont have the puppy quite yet I dont know what time he will be waking us up in the middle of the night/early morning, but this is what i am envisioning:
(ME) **Wake up around 7am, take puppy outside for bathroom break, feed puppy and have food/waterdown for 10 minutes and no more (according to the book I am reading), take puppy out for another bathroom break, play with puppy for 30 minutes, and 1 more bathroom break if needed. Put puppy back in crate in bedroom. Leave for work at 8:20am,
(Husband)**Hubby wakes up at 8:20am, he gets ready, lets puppy back out and plays with him for 30 or 45 minutes, then quick bathroom break, then put puppy back into crate. He leaves for work @ 9:30am.

Afternoon:
(Pet Sitter)**She arrives @ 12pm, lets puppy out of crate, bathroom break, feed puppy (food/water down only for 10 minutes), play with puppy, and bathroom break again. She leaves at 1pm, and puts puppy back in crate in the bedroom.

Evening:
(Hubby)**Gets home at 5pm, before me, and he will let puppy out for bathroom, and then we supervise puppy all night and let him explore without taking our eye off of him, feed him about 7pm (food/water down only for 10 minutes), let him out again for bathroom break, and put puppy back in crate when we are ready for bed, and/or when we arent able to supervise him.

This would be our daily routine, minus the weekends as we would be able to be with him throughout the day, and he would be able to play a lot more through the daytime, and such.

What are your thoughts? Is this a good plan? Any input would be great, as all I want to do is have a very happy, and healthy puppy.

Thanks!!!:p:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
For puppies I think the dinner meal should be as early as possible and then take up the water at least an hour before bedtime.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
You want to leave water down as much as possible - not sure why it would say to remove it after 10 minutes. Food for sure, but they do need fluids. You may have to play with the dinner time to find what works best (too early and they might not sleep well at night because they're hungry or have to poop, too late and they do have to poop, depends on the dog). Take the water up a bit after they eat, and about 3 hours before bedtime usually so they have time to empty out the bladder.

Otherwise sounds like you've got the idea!

Lana

·
New Mommy
52 Posts
Hi Tulo's Mommy... Congrats on your little guy! Here is my personal opinion (it hasn't been too long since my husband & I brought our first pup home too!)

For Roxy, I believe having a somewhat consistant schedule was helpful as she has gotten older. It seemed to help with her potty training, and it felt like she was sleeping through the night in no time (about a week or two). I like to think it was attributed to being consistant. :)

The biggest thing is just remember to be patient with your pup... while you follow the schedule, puppy doesn't always adhere to the schedule (frequent potty breaks) at first, but he will learn & get acclamaited in no time :)

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
First welcome from Georgia:wavey: to you and your husband and soon to come home puppy.
I am by no means a puppy expert however I admire your pre-planning and research! Hopefully you will get much good advise from the experts!

Good choice on bringing a Golden into your home and life. Puppy hood can be challenging but will bring you many years of happiness!

Al & Tuff

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Welcome from Janine, Chester and Murphy. When you can't supervise pup and maybe don't want to put him in his crate an x-pen or baby gates on the kitchen door or other room with easy to clean floors is a good idea. Can't wait to see pictures of your new puppy.

·
Tulo's Mommy
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, I want to say thank you to all that have responded, and the welcomes to the forum! I am so excited to pick our baby up, and it seems it is going to take F O R E V E R for that day to get here, but it will, and I am thankful I have all this time to plan, and get our home ready for the pup.

I appreciate all your input, and thoughts, and find it very helpful. It is good to know when to pick-up the water before bedtime, to keep with consistancy, as it helps with training, etc.

@ Janine -- My husband and I do have a perfect area for our puppy when we aren't able to supervise him, but want him to have room to still play, and that will be both our kitchen and dining room as it is pretty spacious, has hard wood flooring, and also right by the back door! I am thinking of getting maybe something that will not allow the puppy to open our cabinets too, as I have a feeling he will be wanting to try to get in there and check things out too.

One of my biggest concerns seems to also be getting the pup the proper amount of exercise. I know we will be playing with our puppy non-stop when we are home at nights, and also all day and night during the weekend, but since we can't take him on walks around the neighborhood till he has all his shots, he is a bit limited. Our home is a 2-story home, and has plenty of space for him to play throughout the home, but the backyard isnt the biggest.

Once my puppy does have all his shots, which i am told will be between 16-18 weeks, I know he will be getting a lot more exercise, as we are both very active, and love to go on walks, and will be bringing him to sporting events and such. It is just till then that I worry he will be getting all the right kind of exercise, as I am hoping that playing in our small backyard, and running about in the home supervised, and playing with him will be enough till then.

We also plan on taking him to classes, 1st one on one as he isn't to be around other dogs till his shots are all done, then group classes. So i think that will be really good for him as well.

So sorry, I just keep rambling on and on, so much to think about! Thanks all for listening, and for your advice, keep bringing me some, as I would love to hear from you!

·
Sweetness is Golden
93 Posts
Congratulations on you new" Golden Boy", you're gonna luv him!! I also am no expert, but have raised 4 females from 8 wk old puppies and found also that a routine schedule is really essential, they thrive on routine it makes them feel secure and happy. I think, the general rule for potty training is... however old the pup is in months is usually how long they can hold their bladder up to about 6 months old, then it gets longer. You might need someone to stop by between 1 and 5PM for the first couple weeks in my opinion, but every pup is different and they do sleep alot as babies, but how long 2,-3,-4 hrs at a time depends on their temperment . You'll know the first week you are home with him how he does on this. I also agree to offer water more frequently, take it up 2-3 hrs before bedtime. We always fed our pups at 6Am-12noon & 6PM, let them out after eating , then 8PM and then when we went to bed- as late as possible- like 11PM- they usually slept thru the nite.Alwaystake him out after playing with him as the excitement stirs up that little bladder. Your breeder should give you all the information on what the food, and eating & playing schedules have been and that should help you. Good luck- goldens are the BEST!!- Be patient though, they are learning. And take him to a "Kindergarden Puppy Class" and then "Beginning Obedience class- you'll be glad you took the time.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,078 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new puppy!!! Can't wait to see picture of him.........

·
Sweetness is Golden
93 Posts
carwink- I just saw "Goldens for Dummies" at Barnes & Noble Book store- thought it was easy to read and had great info on everything about the breed and training. Might even be in your library.

·
Piper's Assistant
257 Posts
Congrats

You've put so much thought into this. I'm just a regular person member of this forum. I have learned so much by reading the threads and it sounds as if you're way ahead of most new puppy owners. I had a few thoughts about your plan.

Good luck with sleeping until seven. Piper awoke each morning around 5 a.m., did quick potty, got his wild eyes and wanted to play, play, play. I'm a softie, so most days I just got up when he did. I also work during the day and often took him with me to the office until he was five months old, he just became a little too zoomie to keep that up.

I'm wondering about feeding him at 7 p.m.

Piper had his dinner around 5:30 and about three potties before bedtime. He was an early to bed, early to rise puppy. He often fell into a deep sleep around 9:30 p.m.

The more you read this forum, the more excited you'll be. My dog is fourteen months old and I still read the puppy forum and am addicted to the puppy pics. Can't wait to see your little love bundle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We just got our new pup on Sunday and so far so good. I took a week off from work as well and I'm so glad I did. I think it definately sped up his adjustment/bonding and learning.

I never take his water up and he has access to it at all times except when crated. So far, we have had no accidents in the crate. (crossing fingers) Today, I left him for just over 3 hours crated and he was fine. He slept from 11:30 last night to 5 this morning crated. Then he woke up and we took him out to potty then back in the crate for an hour. We feed at around 6:30 and it is working well for us, but we tend to stay up a little later.

Our routine is similar to your plan, except we are up earlier since we go to work a bit earlier. I am planning to have someone come over twice a day though for the first 3 weeks after I go back to work. The rule of thumb is their age in months + 1 is how long they can hold it. So an 8 week old pup in theory can only go 3 hours (this doesn't apply at night and of course is different for every dog). Then it will only be at lunch.

A word of advice, at first, he will be learning a lot and he won't always potty when you need/want him to so don't forget to build some cushion into your morning routine for that. He may have to run around outside and play a bit before he goes.

Also, if you give him too much room at first, unsupervised, he may go potty in the extra space.

Is your backyard fenced in? Ours isn't the biggest, but we let him go off leash so he can run around all he wants (supervised of course) and he is pretty tired when he comes in. Also, playing with toys inside will tire them out too.

·
Tulo's Mommy
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ JoysGirls -- I will be sure to stick to routine, as that makes total sense! I will also make sure to ask our breeder to get us a schedule the puppy is on, and she is already planning on giving us a bag of food that he is eating. I do plan on switching the food to Blue Buffalo, but also know that it takes awhile to fully get him on a different food as you are supposed to take baby steps when switching food products. Could you tell me what the difference is between Kindergarden Puppy Class vs. Beginning Obedience Class? The place I have been recommended to says that they suggest bringing him to obedience at 8 weeks, but never mentioned anything about Kingergarden classes...hmmm.

@OrdinaryEllen -- I do agree with you re reading these forums, they do get me so excited for our puppy, and I am counting down the hours till I have lil' Tulo in my arms :--big_grin:
@luv2smile -- I am so glad I am going to take a full week off with him, and the really nice part will be that I will only have to be away from him for 2 1/2 days the following week, as it will be Thanksgiving break, but I do know also that those 2 1/2 days will be so hard for me to be away from him. I read that it is smart to step out and do errands during that week you are home with him though, to get him used to someone not always being there, and also that it helps when you do have to go to work. So I am thinking for the 1st weekday (Mon) to be gone for 30 minutes, then 1 hour on Tuesday, etc. We shall see how that goes, as I know I will find it hard to leave that adorable little face of his. Our backyard is fenced, and I am really glad to hear that even though our backyard isnt that big, that he will get plenty of exercise running around the yard, and that playing inside with his toys will be good exercise also. I just can't wait till he has all his shots so he can really experience the world (my husband is so excited for Tulo to come to his football games, and I can't wait for Tulo and I to root him on!).

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Congratulations on the new puppy!!!!
And kudos for you for doing your "puppy" homework.
Sounds like you've really thought this out and you'll do great :)
Just remember - WE LOVE PICTURES!!!

·
Sweetness is Golden
93 Posts
The Puppy Kindergarten or Puppy Obedience Class that I went to was a six week class for puppies 8 - 16 weeks, once a week, sometimes older pups were there too- 5 -6months old) you learn proper dog handling for different occasions, such as grooming, visiting the veterinarian, giving medications, or how to calm a puppy. & learn about house training, and how to resolve behaviors, like nipping, chewing, jumping up or door bolting. Also the basic commands, such as come, sit, down, and leave it are initiated. There was a puppy play time too that helps with socialization.
Basic Obedience Class was for puppies 6 months or older
and was a little more intense including distractions and distancing from owners while reinforcing basic commands. Both were great. Check with your vet for places in your area- lots of times a "Pet Resort", like for boarding, has these classes too. I think PetSmart Stores does it too- but I haven't heard anything about them so couldn't recommend

·
Tulo's Mommy
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Puppy Kindergarten or Puppy Obedience Class that I went to was a six week class for puppies 8 - 16 weeks, once a week, sometimes older pups were there too- 5 -6months old) you learn proper dog handling for different occasions, such as grooming, visiting the veterinarian, giving medications, or how to calm a puppy. & learn about house training, and how to resolve behaviors, like nipping, chewing, jumping up or door bolting. Also the basic commands, such as come, sit, down, and leave it are initiated. There was a puppy play time too that helps with socialization.
Basic Obedience Class was for puppies 6 months or older
and was a little more intense including distractions and distancing from owners while reinforcing basic commands. Both were great. Check with your vet for places in your area- lots of times a "Pet Resort", like for boarding, has these classes too. I think PetSmart Stores does it too- but I haven't heard anything about them so couldn't recommend

Thanks Joysgirl, much appreciated!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts